Author Topic: Driver's seat: Ultraleather vs cloth?  (Read 12507 times)

Offline loosenut

• Confidently Ignorant
Re: Driver's seat: Ultraleather vs cloth?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 09:06:17 AM »
I'd be interested to know whether anyone has come across a 'stand-alone' air-ride mechanism that can be fitted beneath conventional seats. I can't think why this couldn't be done, but I don't think I've ever seen such a unit.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

Recently I saw an advertisement for "stand-alone air-ride mechanism" specifically for RVs.  I was geeking around and don't remember if it was a print or web ad. 

However, this site http://www.suburbanseats.com has a number of options truck, bus, pickup etc. seats.  Some of the options have the show a mix and match approach to the seat base and seat. Off road and pickup options are good places to start.

The low rider option shows seats that look like they would fit in a bus.

Mike
Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless

Dallas

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 09:06:47 AM »
But isn't ultraleather made from critters related to Nauga's? And we all know that Nauga's are an extremely endangered species. Especially after that major debacle several decades ago where everything was made from Naugahyde. Millions and Billions of defenseless Naugas were killed for nothing more than their pelts, Why? To make a hot sweaty place to sit for bar fly's and lounge lizards the world over!

Stop this senseless slaughter NOW! Save the Nauga's and their cousins!

And if you don't believe that Nauga's are endangered, just think back and tell me the last time you saw a herd of wild Naugas grazing peacefully in a quiet meadow?

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 09:44:36 AM »
But isn't ultraleather made from critters related to Nauga's? And we all know that Nauga's are an extremely endangered species. Especially after that major debacle several decades ago where everything was made from Naugahyde. Millions and Billions of defenseless Naugas were killed for nothing more than their pelts, Why? To make a hot sweaty place to sit for bar fly's and lounge lizards the world over!

And if you don't believe that Nauga's are endangered, just think back and tell me the last time you saw a herd of wild Naugas grazing peacefully in a quiet meadow?

Offline trailblazer2

• 1990 Chevrolet C-60 Activity
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »
I have a new ultraleather that I am going to sell. It is a six way power seat with armrest on both sides,and off white in color. It is still in the wrapper,and is very comfortable. I will take $150.00 for it .Shipping will run about $45.00 (lower 48)
Bill
"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 07:46:26 AM »
I have a new ultraleather that I am going to sell. It is a six way power seat with armrest on both sides,and off white in color. It is still in the wrapper,and is very comfortable. I will take $150.00 for it .Shipping will run about $45.00 (lower 48)
Bill

Bill if it's still available I'd like to take you up on that seat!  ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline belfert

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 09:09:06 AM »

This sounds like a regular motorhome seat and not a truck type seat like I am looking for.  It sounds like BK wants it so you might have it sold.

I found out that the parts to fix my seat are $400 for just the fabric so I'm looking for another seat at this point or just putting a cover over mine.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Zeroclearance

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 02:10:43 PM »
Brian, what seat do you have in the bus right now?   Is the cushion burnt?

I have a ISRI seat and I hate it..   

Offline belfert

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »
Brian, what seat do you have in the bus right now?   Is the cushion burnt?

I have a ISRI seat and I hate it..   

I have a Bostrom seat.  I found out from calling Bostrom that it is an OEM seat for International.  The back is somehow custom for International and the replacement fabric has to be ordered through an International dealer.  I got all the part numbers from Bostrom and it came to over $400 for parts when I called an International dealer.

The seat looks like the Bostrom WideRide seats I have seen at dealers.  I have seen the ISRI seats online and they are pricey.

The driver side arm rest has the cushion all burned up.  The back has the cushion barely singed so that cushion is still good.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 05:08:20 AM »

Where is PETA when you need them????    ;D ;D
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline T Chellis

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 07:47:06 PM »
I know this is a little late but maybe this can help with your decision. Ultra leather is not Genuine Leather. It is a high grade polymeric vinyl that simulates leather. While it is soft and plyable it still retains the vinyl properties that make vinyl hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Genuine Leather is a natural product and is therefore more comfortable.  I like a good fabric because it breaths.  Admittedly fabric is harder to clean it can be protected with a product called Fabric-Coate which makes it much easier to clean.

If you are wondering how I know this I have been upholstering for 43 years and have worked with all the materials........Hope this helps......T. Chellis

Offline belfert

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 08:10:37 PM »
I decided to buy a fabric seat after considering all the options.  I bought it a few weeks ago, but just installed it a few days ago.

The velour version of the seat was $90 less than the ultraleather version of the same seat.  It was basically the same price to buy a new seat as to special order replacement fabric for my burned seat.  If I could have ordered different color fabric for my seat I would have done that route, but the seat was special for International in only one ugly color.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2009, 05:21:19 AM »
I just tore out the vinyl RV seats that came with my bus and installed seats from a 2003 GM pickup truck.  Cloth, integral seat belts including shoulder belt, very comfortable.  The challenge was adapting them to the swivel bases with electric adjustment, and getting the OEM manual adjusters off.  Big hammers came out to play...   :o
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline brando4905

• Clean Vibes,LLC--Event Waste and Recycling Services
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2009, 06:52:45 AM »
This is too late as well, but for anyone looking for good seats check out Recaro air ride. I have 3, the driver is the only one hooked up to air right now. Very comfortable seats.
1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2009, 07:28:23 AM »
Quote from: belfert
I have a Bostrom seat.  I found out from calling Bostrom that it is an OEM seat for International.  The back is somehow custom for International and the replacement fabric has to be ordered through an International dealer.  I got all the part numbers from Bostrom and it came to over $400 for parts when I called an International dealer.

The seat looks like the Bostrom WideRide seats I have seen at dealers.  I have seen the ISRI seats online and they are pricey.

The driver side arm rest has the cushion all burned up.  The back has the cushion barely singed so that cushion is still good.

Quote from: belfert
I decided to buy a fabric seat after considering all the options.  I bought it a few weeks ago, but just installed it a few days ago.

The velour version of the seat was $90 less than the ultraleather version of the same seat.  It was basically the same price to buy a new seat as to special order replacement fabric for my burned seat.  If I could have ordered different color fabric for my seat I would have done that route, but the seat was special for International in only one ugly color.

Well see Brian you just blew your chance of claiming your bus was part Eagle! (wrong eagle, but still part eagle! Eagle is the name of International's high end model!)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline trucktramp

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2009, 06:53:04 AM »
I know you have bought your seat and I think you will like the cloth much better than the Pleather.  Leather, pleather or what ever they want to call it is not all that great in a commercial seat.  Your back and butt sweat like the dickens.  They are cold in the winter and hot in the summer.  Cloth is definitely the way to go in my opinion.  As for brands, the top line Nationals are pretty good, Bostrom makes some good ones, I liked the Tallegedaga Series best.  The seat and back are wider for the bigger than average driver.  The seat bottom also extends out to support your thighs better.  Stay away from the swivel type seats that they spec in Navistars...they are junk and ride terrible.  You want to check a couple things when you are looking at them.  First you want a seat that has an easy "glide".  That's the position that allows the seat to glide back and forth while hitting bumps so that you don't get as much back slap.  The other thing to check is the design of the suspension in the base.  You want it to look like an X.  It will be very square looking.  Some brands (and I don't remember which) just pivot in the front and the back of the base is open.  These usually have long travel (which is good) but as they wear, when they bounce up and down they also rock left to right making you feel like you are going to fall out of the seat.  This is just my two cents on seats.  I have had my butt in many over the course of my driving career.  Some were good.  Others, I would rather have had a milk crate to sit on.  My final piece of advice is to go to a large size truck dealer (Peterbilt, Freightliner, etc) and go into the parts dept and try them out.  See which one fits you best.  While you're there you can ask some of the drivers what they have and how they like it.  Plus there are all sorts of chrome goodies to shine up the inside  and outside of the bus.
Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal