Author Topic: 24 volt headlights are just too dim  (Read 10814 times)

Offline Fredward

• 2000 Country Coach Magna (not a bus)
Re: 24 volt headlights are just too dim
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 08:34:46 PM »
Good information guys and thanks for it. I'll measure voltage but I'm interested in switching over to any kind of halogen bulb. 12 or 24 volt. I'd rather not go through the hastle of going to rectangular. Although my entire coach has been reskinned so i don't have to worry about authenticity. (Maybe rectangular would be an improvement)
Fred
Fred Thomson

Offline Tim Strommen

• Electronics Geek
    • Bus Page
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
Hi Fred,

What fixture size do you have?  I have done business with (but am not a representative or paid spokesperson for) Aardvark International/Talbot & Co.  They are the USA Cibie reseller (I think Daniel Stern Also sells them though), and they have just about every fixture size you would need.  I recommend these, as they are glass lenses (not acrylic/polycarbonite), and are typiclly bulb-replacable which will give you many voltage wattage options (typically under the "H4" bulb package). They have in round both the 7" (large round fixture, single high/low head) and 5 3/4" twin (smaller separate high/low heads) fixtures.

I actually bought a few of the 5 3/4" high/low-beam asseblies for use as Aux headlights on my truck - they work about as well as the 7" fixtures.

The price is a bit steeper than your napa generic sealed beam fixture, but they are very well worth the price (as you will find out when you go driving with them the first time).

You can find there Cibie product list at: http://www.talbotco.com/e-code_lamps.htm

Again, not paid or otherwise, just had a great experience.

-Tim
Fremont, CA
1984 Gillig Phantom 40/102
DD 6V92TA (MUI, 275HP) - Allison HT740
Conversion Progress: 10% (9-years invested, 30 to go :))

Offline Fredward

• 2000 Country Coach Magna (not a bus)
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 08:16:33 PM »
Tim,
I appreciate that and will look into it. The MC-5 still has the original round lights and mounts, etc. Looks like they robbed them from the front of a chevy. So most any standard round sealed beam type bulb should fit in there. I've also heard that International Bus Parts has a kit to convert them to rectangular......
Fred
Fred Thomson

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
Fred, i think the 5's look alot better with the round headlights.   :)   The PO of my 5 put in a voltage reducer and used 12 volt lights due to cost and availability. If you stay with the round lights let us know if you go to halogen and what the cost and any fitting issues are.   Ed
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
Fred -

Gonna ask a dumb question:

"What price SAFETY??"

If you're going to fix your headlights, after sorting out the ground issues, then I highly recommend the Cibie's that Tim mentioned a few posts back.  Especially if you do any driving at night.

I've preached before on this and the BNO board about the advantages of the E-code halogen headlamps compared to our lousy DOT-code halogens, if you do an archive search you'll find my rants.

IIRC, you can also get the H1, H2, H3 & H4 bulbs in 24v, but much more common (and less expensive) in 12 - any Pep Boys, Chief, AutoZone, etc. carries them.  (These are just the bulbs, not the complete lamp assemblies, btw.)  Ask the folk at Talbot.

Spend the bucks, you won't regret it!

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline gus

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 10:42:09 PM »
Fred,

NAPA has a 12v sealed beam halogen for around $12 which I have used for a couple of years now and really like them. I don't know if they have them in 24v. I'm sure other auto parts stores have them also.

I hate messing with those halogen bulbs and the condensation issues.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline RichardEntrekin

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 05:48:58 AM »
I know I am piling on about the E code lights. I will also testify that it was the best money I ever spent on the coach. The difference is incredible. I took some pictures of the stock lights and the Euro lights. I set the digital camera on manual so I used the same shutter speed and aperture to ensure the before and after pictures were truly apples to apples. The pictures are in this thread.http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785
Richard Entrekin
99 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Inverness, Fl

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt

Offline belfert

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 08:23:01 AM »
I noticed in one of the photos on talbotco.com that the headlight had DOT on it.  I thought one of the big issues with E-code headlights is lack of DOT approval?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline RichardEntrekin

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 08:28:08 AM »
Manufacturers will make both E code and DOT versions of a light. You are correct, if it has DOT on it, it is not the E code light we are talking about.
Richard Entrekin
99 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Inverness, Fl

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 09:30:30 AM »
Okay Richard, I am confused.  Are you saying you use lights that are not DOT approved?  Is this illegal?  I would guess there are many illegal options to brighten up the highway.  Airplane landing lights would work too, wouldn't they?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline belfert

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 10:11:34 AM »
Manufacturers will make both E code and DOT versions of a light. You are correct, if it has DOT on it, it is not the E code light we are talking about.

The caption below the picture specifically states the light is E-code.  It may be the wrong light in the picture.  I guess I could call to find out for sure.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline belfert

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
Just because E-code lights are not DOT approved does not mean they are not safe.  Europe and the US DOT simply have different vehicle lighting standards.  Many will argue the European standard is better due to the pattern of the light and possibly the brightness allowed.

Aircraft landing lights are likely too bright and have too much glare for oncoming motorists to be safe.

Offline RichardEntrekin

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 01:04:54 PM »
I use lights that are not DOT approved. They are approved for headlight usage in the European Union. So yes, I am in technical violation of the law.

The difference is pretty simple. A DOT light scatters some light up and to the right. The DOT logic is that you need that light to see road signs. The Euro light focuses the beam solely on the road. There is a very distinctive cutoff where no stray light shines upward on the E lights. Also the E lights tend be be real glass and made to much tighter optical specifications on the reflector than the DOT stuff.

The outcome of all this is a tremendously brighter beam on the road that does not blind the oncoming traffic. I have never been "flashed" by an oncoming driver, and yet my lights illuminate much better than stock. And the high beams make the highway look like a runway.

You can put over wattage or Xenon kits in DOT housings and you will see better. However, because of the stray light and poor focus of the DOT lights, the unintended consequence is blinding the oncoming driver.
Richard Entrekin
99 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Inverness, Fl

Offline chris4905

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
RJ & Richard -

All we can do is pass our knowledge and experience on about the Cibie lights.  RJ you convinced me years ago, I went with them, and it's one of the best conversion decisions I made.

It's now up to them, some will.........some won't.

Thanks again RJ !!!!

Chris
Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »
Chris -

Thanks for the kind words, they're appreciated!

:)

RJ & Richard -

All we can do is pass our knowledge and experience on about the Cibie lights.  RJ you convinced me years ago, I went with them, and it's one of the best conversion decisions I made.

It's now up to them, some will.........some won't.

Thanks again RJ !!!!

Chris
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal