Author Topic: Newbie!!  (Read 12514 times)

Offline boogster

Newbie!!
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:19:38 PM »
;D Hello Everyone!!!
Guess what I have a bus. We are making it into our hunting shack!!!
From what I gather you people seem to know your buses.
I have a place you can check out my bus. I would also love to hear any ideas or things that did or don't work.
I live in Minnesota and plan on using it in the winter.
I am also trying to find a back door for it. Any ideas where to look?
So check this out
http://www.2womenwhitetaildeerhunting.com
I can't wait to get to know everyone!!! ;)
Boog

"We Hunt For Real"

Dallas

Re: Newbie!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 04:06:40 AM »
Welcome to the madness Boog!

That's a great lookin' skoolie you have there and just about the best unit you could use for a hunting camp.

I have one piece of advice right now..... move the spare tire from under the bus and mount it somewhere else... like maybe in front of the radiator.

I had an old IH skoolie in Fargo at one time and found out the hard way that the spare underneath will hang up on just about anything you drive over out in the woods.

My method was a bit different though... I raised the bus, put the 4 wheel drive out of an ex utility truck under it and upgraded the engine to a 6V53 with a 10 speed Road Ranger behind it.

Good Luck, and hopefully you'll be in it soon!

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:26:57 AM »
Welcome!  I checked out your site and the pictures (really cool) and the first thing I noticed was a lack of insulation.  You need it in any part of the country but in MN it is going to be essential.  I think you need to add a lot before going any further.  Trust me.....it is vital.  The sun on the metal can turn it into an oven. The wind and cold can turn it into a freezer.  Been there, done that. 
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

cody

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:26:42 AM »
Welcome to the madness, I guess being from michigan and with so many women hunters here we never saw the novelty in creating a website for it lol, it just comes natural here.

Offline boogster

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »
Hi everyone!
Great idea for the tire!! :-*
We haven't insulated yet....I was wondering which was better foam or fiberglass?
we are blocking the last 4 windows on both sides. Putting up bunks. I am worried about condensation. We are thinking 3 in fiberglass.
And bubbqgal do I need to do the roof? There is some in there already. I also have a 36,000 btu heater and keeping fresh water inside under bunk.
What do you think?
And does anyone know where on the bus or am I just that blind I don't know the size of my motor?!
It runs great. Its a diesel and a automatic! Does have air breaks...so cool.
Anyone with any ideas where to get parts for it please let me know, it's an 85 International S1700.
Thanks!!!
Boog ;D

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »
Oh, yes, the roof needs it bigtime.  The best time to insulate is before you put anything in it. The more you do before you insulate the harder it will be to get the insulation in properly. We used the blue foam insulation and reflectix.  Fiberglass will compact too much to be effective.  The reflectix, I know I am spelling it wrong, comes in rolls that are not that expensive but worth every penny.  It is also easy to use with the curves in the bus. 

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »
We used closed cell spray foam. Maybe more than you want to spend, but it does great sealing everything up.

It cost about 1200 to do our bus, but yours is shorter...

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Dallas

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 10:46:47 AM »
Depending on where in Minnesota you are, there are a lot of parts and pieces of Corn Binders laying around. (Corn Binder = International Harvester)

On insulation.... Insulate, insulate, insulate. Then when you think you have enough insulation, double it. Don't use fiberglass bats, they will draw moisture, eventually mildew and soak up any water nearby and be completely worthless. Fiberglass was OK when it was a school bus in service, but now that it will be stationary for long periods of time, you need spray foam or polystyrene (Blue or Pink Styrofoam). As Cat said, Get some reflectix. It will keep you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

If you are anywhere near the west side of Minnesota, run over to Hazers Auto Wreckers in Fargo and you should be able to find a back door with no problem. Or check the local wrecking yards near you... They may have one.

Your engine could be a 6.9, a 7.3 a DT366 a DT466 or a couple of others. take a picture and post it here. Someone will know what it is.

(PS: I have a special place in my heart for skoolies and those who convert them. My first couple of buses were skoolies!  ;D )

Offline boogster

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Thanks Everyone!!!
Great ideas and tips. I am going to go look into that reflectix.
Its good to do it now before we go further. Or next step is wiring and hoses all that fun stuff.
What a cool site. I wish I would have found it sooner.
This is a milatry bus from Minot ND.
We found it on Craigs List.
Bought it for a great price ($600.00)
Runs great. Just over 100,000 miles.
No Rust on body.
Thanks again...keepem coming!!!
Boog

Offline boogster

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 03:11:39 AM »
 ??? morning everyone.
ok so do I use this reflectix before the foam insulation? There is no R value?
or do I use it alone?
And if someone has used it on their roof can ya send me a pic or put one on here?
This is the first one we've done. I am not a carpentor...I am a chef...lol
An outta work chef...but one still the same.
thanks for all your help everyone!!!!
Boog

Dallas

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 05:32:07 AM »
First you have the inner skin of the bus,
 to this you add the blue or pink foam insulation.
  next you fill any cracks that show between the foam and the metal with "Great Stuff" spray foam insulation. (I used triple expanding.)
   After the spray foam cures to a hard clump, you trim it down level with the rest of the foam.
    Now add the reflectix, leaving no open spaces between the sheets of reflectix.

Reflectix by itself has no inherent R-value, but it is a great reflector and adds a dead airspace between the insulating material and the surface that you are going to be using for interior walls. This stops much condensation and increases the insulation value of your foam.
We noticed an immediate 20° difference when I first put it up in the bedroom of our bus. Your mileage may vary.

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 06:44:19 AM »
Welcome to the Madness

Your off on a run and you will definitely enjoy it. Insulate extra well now,  you will thank yourself on those cold nights. ;)

I like to look at this board,http://www.skoolie.net/ you may it find useful along with this one.  Alot of resourceful people.

Depending on your offroad needs, you may want to see if you have an open differential.  if you do, you may want to look for a Limited slip type or if you havve cable type park brakes, you can put a lever on for the individual wheels.  may help you out in a pinch sometime.

Keep us updated on your progress
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline boogster

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 03:42:32 PM »
 ;D Hi again everyone!!!
Well we went and started the insulation of the roof!
I put up some more pictures on my web site.
Great Ideas.
Check it out and see if there is anything Else I maybe missing...
I would hate to freeze...
Thanks All
Boog

Dallas

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Lookin' good so far Boog!....

Just a couple of ideas you may want to kick around,

Pull down what framing you already have up and get rid of that inner skin on the walls. There is enough room in there for at least one more sheet of 3/4" styrofoam, and where you are, every little bit is gonna help. Besides, IF there is any fiberglass in the walls, it's not doing much after a kazillion miles of bouncing down the road. All it's gonna do is collect the water that will condense on the outer wall and cause lots of rust that you'll need to deal with later.

I'm not sure how you are doing the wheel wells, but you may want to take the time to put an inch or two of insulation over and around them also. I remember my first winter in a skoolie in Fargo... those wheel wells actually radiate cold into the bus. Enough that the ice house fishing stove I was using and 2 1500 watt space heaters and a 30,000 BTU suburban propane furnace had all they could do to keep the place comfortable. Oh, and Ice built up on the wheel wells from the condensation of peoples breath and the propane stove. When the outside temps went up and the ice started melting, it looked like a bunch of refigerator/freezers were hung open to defrost. It ruined the hardwood floor I had laid down the previous summer and all the throw rugs we had stuck in to keep our toes warm. Your OSB sub floor won't last long in those conditions.

Remember.... insulate, insulate, insulate. When you think you have enough, double it. You can't go back in the middle of winter and do it all over again!

Oh, and just one more thing.... why not put your website URL in your signature line? You can do that in your profile. That way  it's accesible every time and no one has to scroll to the beginning of the thread to find it!.

Good Luck, Shoot us a Big 'un!

Dallas

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 04:30:55 PM »
I looked at the pictures and my first comment was "there is no insulation under the framing and there is going to be lots of cold/heat coming in in all those spots".  Everywhere you have a board is a place where you are not going to be insulated properly.  I know you have put lots of time and effort into that framing but now is the time to fix it.  As Dallas said, take the roofing skins down and start over because once everything is done and you realize how hot/cold you are it will be much harder to fix.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal