Author Topic: Fuel in oil???  (Read 5674 times)

Offline tomhamrick

Re: Fuel in oil???
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
Thanks Clifford, I will keep that in mind.  That brings up another point...would the same not be true of a tight valve setting?? Could it hit the top of a piston?
Tom Hamrick
Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC

Dallas

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 10:23:14 AM »
oops!   :-[ :-[ :-[ I gave bad advice. thanks Clifford. My mind was in neutral while my fingers were in Georgia Overdrive.....

I was thinking 8V71 instead of 6V92.

Unless you know for certain what valves you have I would be leery of going more than .059. You wouldn't want to find a piston crown in the pan at the next oil change, or have a valve shoved sideways into places it shouldn't be!

As Clifford says... as the engine warms up, the settings will get tighter. I always try to do a preliminary set on a cold engine, just to make it run, then let it run for awhile until it reaches about 140-180° and do a reset as it's cooling off.
If the bridges were set while the engine was cold, you can be pretty sure that they are a bit tight when at operating temperature.
Valve settings can get as much as .004 tighter with just a small change in temp. That would make your .015 setting down to .011, leaving the valves open too long.

You were typing at the same time I was.

If the setting isn't too tight, there isn't a problem, but the Jake itself keeps the valve open as far as it can go through a full revolution, allowing the piston to hit the top dead center point with the valve open. Normally, the valve is closed at TDC

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »
A good rule for valves when you do a tune up is if they are all wrong, you better recheck the book. Usually they don't need a lot and if they are all wrong or they all need a lot or about the same amount of adjustment you need to give things some serious thought. Even 1 turn here or there may be OK, but a couple or more and you better think about what you are doing.

Anyone saying they are all loose or all tight is a good tip off that he's wrong and you better start looking over his shoulder.

I'd probably stop right where I was and get the shop foreman out to have a look because you may have some bent ones and if they are it will probably still run the same.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline busshawg

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »
How often do yuo guys suggest having them checked? My 8V sounds like there is a poorly adjusted lifter in a gas motor, power and fule mileage seems good. I think it is fine, but as regular maintanence how often?

Grant
Have Fun!!
Grant

Offline tomhamrick

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 02:55:09 AM »
Sorry for the long delay in reporting the results of my settings. Things have been crazy. I set all the valves by the book to .015 and the engines fires up and runs just like it used to even after sitting for several days!!!!   ;D  Drove it 300 miles round trip this past weekend to Pigeon Forge, TN with no problems and running great.  Thanks again for all your help!
Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle 10S
Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal