Author Topic: A question about experiences driving the new toy home  (Read 7125 times)

HighTechRedneck

A question about experiences driving the new toy home
« on: July 12, 2006, 04:15:57 PM »
Well I have my 82 RTS II  :)  :)  :)  and am preparing to drive it cross country going back to my home state of Tennessee.

I have planned out many things with the help of this board and other Internet research.  I have got my insurance for getting it home and have talked to the title registration office about converting the title.  In Tennessee a standard drivers license is acceptable for driving a motorhome of any type or weight.  So no legal issues when I get it home.

But it is currently titled in Washington as a bus which normally requires a CDL for driving. Since the bus has no plates I will need to get 3 day permits at the port of entry to each state I cross in order to be legal. I presume they will want to see my license which is not a CDL.  How has everyone else handled this issue?

Offline ceieio

• MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740
  • 1973 MCI 7
Re: A question about experiences driving the new toy home
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 04:26:25 PM »
Is it possible to get a temp license from your home state for the vehicle? If so, then you should be able to buzz on home as a motorhome on the temporary. Ask your DMV (or DMV website) for the rules on temporary licenses.

Craig - MC7 Oregon
Craig MC7 - Oregon USA

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 06:52:20 PM »
  When I bought mine They sold me a drive away permit where I bought the bus. It was something like a temporary tag. You should be able to get something like that in Washington.

Also the requirements for CDL are 16 passengers (seats) or more, I had them remove all the seats before I drove it home.  If necessary unbolt all the seats and tie them up in the back in pile, maybe leave the one behind the drivers seat to stop flying seats in case of an accident.

If you get stopped and there are no seats it isn't a bus, it is a conversion shell.
If there is a destination sign in the front, try to get a "Not For Hire" sign to put there, even if its felt tip marker on a piece of cardboard. Also cover any writing or logo's on the side.

Good luck.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 07:04:07 PM »
You mention that you already "have" the RTS, does that mean you have already completed the purchase?  When I purchased my 4104 I had completed the title transfer with DMV before leaving home. I flew to Calif with the license plate in my suitcase. Any chance of handling that way?
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 09:16:32 PM »
If you haven’t already, join a club like the Good Sam’s Club. It’s worth every penny if you are driving across country. Local tow companies in my area charge $4 mile; if you where in the middle of nowhere this could really damage the wallet. My father brought mine from California to Virginia for me; fortunately, there were no breakdowns, but there was a flat tire. Good Sam’s sent out a truck to change the tire but the tire service was able to fix it on location. I have read too many breakdown stories so I am a little paranoid, I wouldn’t travel without it.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 05:11:27 AM »
 I am already in Washington and ready to start the drive back tomorrow.  The seats are out so it is really a conversion shell.  I'm just concerned about how they will view it at the checkpoints since the current title is as a bus.

I am looking into Good Sams.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has any suggestions or experiences they would be willing to share I look forward to hearing it.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 05:41:22 AM »
I am already in Washington and ready to start the drive back tomorrow.  The seats are out so it is really a conversion shell.  I'm just concerned about how they will view it at the checkpoints since the current title is as a bus.

I am looking into Good Sams.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has any suggestions or experiences they would be willing to share I look forward to hearing it.

What checkpoints?

It's an RV. Drive on by those weigh stations. You're exempt.

I'd cover up any DOT numbers on the side, any company name, and maybe post a "Private Coach, Not For Hire" sign on the bus.

In most states, you are allowed to drive on the bill of sale without plates for up to 30 days. Carry that and the title with you.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline kingfa39

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 06:29:16 AM »
i  got a ten day permit from the state of virgina and drove mine home, thats the easy way if you can do it.
Frank Allen

Offline Beatenbo

• 1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power
    • The Beatenbos
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 08:17:27 AM »
On my 10th bus Drove 2 buses from MN to Ga 2 from VA to GA 2 from NJ to GA This last one had charter co. name. Never been questioned by any one

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 10:45:26 AM »
Get some liability insurance, from your state..on the RTS,  if you have not done so.  Some insurance companies will "bind" the coach without you're visiting the agency.
You don't stop at weigh stations, so not a problem.  Buses and RVs don't do weigh stations.  You don't want to go in there.  A "truck" and "bus" have different rules.
TN law is what you're concerned with.  if they allow operating with no plates for a specific period, you're OK if following the TN rules..if not, whoever stops you, in any state, could force you to park the bus until you get it properly tagged.   Don't need a CDL for an "RV".    You're supposed to paint over any signage...probably wouldn't be an issue...other than trying to explain the situation. 
Good Luck, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline bigtim44

• Red buses go faster!
    • big red bus conversion
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 11:04:31 PM »
Is it possible to get a temp license from your home state for the vehicle? If so, then you should be able to buzz on home as a motorhome on the temporary. Ask your DMV (or DMV website) for the rules on temporary licenses.

Craig - MC7 Oregon

As ceieio said.
I did this with a new work van,picked up a temp for it at my local Colorado Dmv,flew out to Norfolk Virginia Picked up the van, slapped on the temp tag and drove back to Colorado.

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal