Author Topic: Does duct tape work in the heat?  (Read 10134 times)

belfert

Does duct tape work in the heat?
« on: July 12, 2006, 04:31:51 PM »
I used duct tape to tape plastic over the sides of my bus as the windows are out.  I did this about two weeks ago and now that it is hot, all of the duct tape has come offf.

Is this normal for duct tape?  I used Scotch brand duct tape that was newly purchased.  I bought some Scotch outdoor duct tape, but not sure it will work any better.

Brian Elfert

Dallas

Re: Does duct tape work in the heat?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 04:38:03 PM »
Brian,

I've used all kinds of Duct Tape and have found variations in all of it.

I just tore some off the side of a camper that had been there for at least a couple of years, and it still didn't want to let go.

You might try buying some HVAC tape, that is, if you aren't too picky about how your paint looks when you skin the tape back off again.
That stuff will rip paint skin, hair or just about anything else it comes into contact with.

Good Luck!

Dallas

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 05:38:33 PM »
Brian,

Dallas is right, There is a world of difference in the duct tape you get in a hardware store, compared to the real stuff you

can buy in a HVAC supply house! The stuff I buy has to withstand extreme temps in attic's. Also, we never use duct tape to

mechanicly fasten flex or boots. Only to seal them!

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

belfert

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 07:10:50 PM »
I don't want anything permanent.  It just needs to last a few weeks and not destroy the paint during removal if I can help it.

Brian Elfert

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 07:27:50 PM »
If you don't want to ruin the paint, I wouldn't recommend duct tape. It will leave a residue that is nearly impossible to get off without chemicals which could damage the paint.

Been there, done that. Run of the mill duct tape does not stick in the heat and rain. Duck brand is the best I've found, but haven't found it locally. But even it didn't hold my plastic well.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 08:11:19 PM »
Guy's

I used clear packing tape when I temp. covered my windows

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline 82 MCI-9

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 08:22:58 PM »
i had the same problem when i tried to cover up my windows but i live in the desert so when it hit 102 any kind of duct tape pretty much just melted right of.
So i went and bought a rv cover and covered it up but i wouldnt suggest this either because now after my roof raising it looks like a pretty exspensive rag :'(

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 09:00:28 PM »
If you get the wrong kind of adhesive stuck to your bus you could be in for a lot of extra tedious work. The longer the tape stays on usually the worse it gets. To bad there is not some other way to do it. If your bus is steel could you use some type of magnets? Like the ones out of an old refrigerator door. I have no idea what I’m talking about, but I’m just throwing this out there. Good luck!
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline ceieio

• MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740
  • 1973 MCI 7
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 10:28:57 PM »
Brian - I am doing the same thing right now and believe it or not, blue painters tape is holding the plastic on my bus just fine!  It varies from hot to rain here in a given week (77 and showers today, 90's this weekend) and the tape is holding up.

Craig - MC7 Oregon
Craig MC7 - Oregon USA

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 04:29:38 AM »
After several weeks, masking tape would be impossible to remove. I would suspect that the blue painters masking tape would have similar characteristics.
Richard
Brian - I am doing the same thing right now and believe it or not, blue painters tape is holding the plastic on my bus just fine!  It varies from hot to rain here in a given week (77 and showers today, 90's this weekend) and the tape is holding up.

Craig - MC7 Oregon
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

belfert

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 04:38:31 AM »
If you get the wrong kind of adhesive stuck to your bus you could be in for a lot of extra tedious work. The longer the tape stays on usually the worse it gets. To bad there is not some other way to do it. If your bus is steel could you use some type of magnets? Like the ones out of an old refrigerator door. I have no idea what I’m talking about, but I’m just throwing this out there. Good luck!

I already spent 45 minutes cleaning off duct tape adhesive residue from just 10 feet or so.  The bus is aluminum skinned, so no magnets.

Brian Elfert

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 04:42:29 AM »
I finally ended up buying a huge tarp at Northern and a spool of poly rope which I used to tie the tarp around the bus. You can get more eyelets to install in the tarp, since they don't put very many in to begin with.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 06:58:56 AM »
I have had good success using the line of products called "Goof Off" to remove gummy adhesive residue from surfaces. It is a solvent that kinda reminds me of lighter fluid. Works well for removing stubborn price stickers. I think it is made by Valspar.  You would need to be careful with painted surfaces however, and test it first in a hidden location.
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

belfert

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 09:17:17 AM »
I finally ended up buying a huge tarp at Northern and a spool of poly rope which I used to tie the tarp around the bus. You can get more eyelets to install in the tarp, since they don't put very many in to begin with.

This was my original idea, but a tarp big enough was like $50 so I went with the $15 worth of tape and plastic.

It looks like a tarp is really my best option.  I had forgotten all about a tarp.

Brian Elfert

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 04:21:12 PM »
'Gorilla tape' available at some ACE Hardware stores
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal