Author Topic: Eagle vs MC9  (Read 17233 times)

Offline SmoothJazz

Re: Eagle vs MC9
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »
Air compressors and engine mounted alternators have to be done from the inside.

This is true for MCI's as well as Eagles, I have been there and done that on both brands.

My first choice is Eagle and tied for second is GMC, Prevost, MCI, and Serta...oh I mean Setra. Sorry Bryce, I was falling asleep there. You know Eagle and Setra are kin.

Having said that, the original post is Eagle vs MC9. I would definitely choose the Eagle over the MC9. I could go into many reasons, some which may not be relevant to motorhomers. All I can say is that if you buy an MC9, make sure the driver has a good seatbelt, wouldn't want them to fall out of the seat while driving as many drivers have. It also does not seem safe to turn a corner with an MC9 and have your tag axle wheels leave the ground. I have driven all makes of buses and found nothing more stable and smooth riding as the Eagle Coach and in fact I have been in situations with an Eagle Coach that had I been in the same situation with an MCI, I would probably be dead. Don't get me wrong, the MC9 was a popular bus, but it did not come without flaws...major flaws. Our senior citizen tours said it all. If we ran an Eagle together with an MCI, they would fight to get on the Eagle every time. And by the way, I have driven an Eagle down the road as a bare frame and it handled just as well as it did all put together. In fact, you could drop the baggage bay floors out of an Eagle bus and not compromise the structural integrity of the bus. You could not say this about any other bus. I could go on but...I think you know where I stand.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 08:31:48 PM »
I wouldn't choose either, I would choose the Eagles younger cousin ;), right Bryce ;D

And there you have it from a man who knows what a real bus is!
As mentioned by Paul, a SETRA is a refined version of the Eagle!
Kassbohrer is/was the original manufacturer of the Eagle (they had to start with a rough draft!) and then once they had it figured out they sold it and started producing the fine crafted finished product the SETRA!

So do want an imitation, an older rough draft version, or the refined real deal?

I might just know where a great SETRA shell could be aquired for the right $!

You can ask HTR it's just had the engine out and the little things fixed and the major oil leak repaired.
It starts right up with a touch of the key and purrs like a hot rod V8 should! (8V92 DDEC that is!)

Come on over to the West TN Busnut gathering and check out some nice rides of different brands. Shoot bring $ and even take home yer very own SETRA!

Last I heard Wayne Stanton (is the last name right Wayne?) from MI is going to try and bring his awesome SETRA conversion to show it off!
(Whew hooo I can't wait a converted SETRA & the awesome CAT powered Eagle both here at once!
;D  BK  ;D

Really all kidd'n aside they all have good and bad pionts, it's just that SETRA's are better! LOL!
Naw jest kidd'n it's simply a matter of perference!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline SmoothJazz

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »
NJT5047,

All of the entertainers are riding in Prevosts because all of the Eagle Sales and Service Reps went to work for Prevost after Greyhound took Eagle into bankruptcy. Prior to 1991 Prevost had very little market share in the entertainment industry, they were more into the motorhomes. Had it not been for mis-management at Eagle in the late 1980's and Greyhound raping Eagle of all of its funds, Prevost would not even exist as we know them today.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 08:49:51 PM »
NJT5047,

All of the entertainers are riding in Prevosts because all of the Eagle Sales and Service Reps went to work for Prevost after Greyhound took Eagle into bankruptcy. Prior to 1991 Prevost had very little market share in the entertainment industry, they were more into the motorhomes. Had it not been for mis-management at Eagle in the late 1980's and Greyhound raping Eagle of all of its funds, Prevost would not even exist as we know them today.

'Stuff' happens.   ;)

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline SmoothJazz

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 08:56:48 PM »
NJT5047

You are right, stuff happens, and when the best bus on the market, Eagle, is taken into bankruptcy through no fault of the bus, then someone elses brand has to take over and supply the market. That happened to be Prevost at the time.

Offline ilyafish

• I am Alpha and Omega
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 09:56:14 PM »
What?? Eagles are 12 volts?? Im sold  ;D hahaha

Thanks for all the help guys!  I think i am sold on an eagle though.  Now just where to find one with minimal rust for 10k as a shell, or for 20k converted......
Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22

Offline Van

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 10:22:15 PM »
Ilya,driving my model 15 home from Carmi Ill, I stopped in Flagstaff and grabbed a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi to chug a lug on for the remainder of the trip back to Vegas.Leaving flag (on I-40)I couldn't wait to start headed down the mountain so's I could open her up a little,heck it was 3:30 in the morning and the hard top was mine for the taking (so I did,LOL) and was absolutely thrilled at how well something this big handled so good,fortunately for me the suspension and tires were in great shape.I have been on a few buses in my life time and honestly I loved them all cause they were all big .
The thing that spikes my meter with an Eagle is the classic look,then the ride and latest is the feel.I have been under a few buses to twirl some iron a time or two,I think I would find it annoying to have to prop the rig up each time so I don't loose my tootsies when the air runs out of the bags.Oh! and after my solo drag race down the mountain from flag stopped again in kingman for fuel,got up out of the seat and remember the bottle of pop?almost punted it out the door,see I had placed it on the floor next to me in flag and forgot all about ,IT NEVER MOVED!
 Even after the trilling ride down the hill at 85 mph It stayed right where I had put it without the cap on and never spilled a drop,now that's a ride ya can take to the bank.I do agree with my brethren bus nuts,Preference.I think you know mine.
Don't worry guys you OB bus guys can park next to my eagle anytime ,I now carry enough plastic eagles to go around for every one so ya can fit right in. shoot Bryce your setra doesn't need one ,its already tattooed with the German Bundes Eagle(ACHTUNG!),any way I like my schnapps room temp and in my glass,not runnin down my as_,alright I'm bad LOL,I better duck now ,bye ;D ::)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline SmoothJazz

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 10:32:02 PM »
I was wondering when you were going to show up here Van.

Offline Van

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 10:42:52 PM »
I heard the Eagle calling me LOL ,Oh! the love call or was that another frikin part fallin off ::)
just incase anyone missed this love story
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=12738.msg133593#msg133593
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline ilyafish

• I am Alpha and Omega
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 11:46:19 PM »
hahaha i remember that van.

ps, after peach spoke to you earlier today and told me about it i started doing some more eagle research....so thanks to you, you got me all started on this! hahaha, i spoke to a friend of mine out in CA who owns an eagle....he said the bus can be flying down the road, and you can get up in the front, and walk straight to the back without having to brace yourself.

ps....if i become an eagle owner....does that make me more patriotic?  ;D ;D
Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 04:21:48 AM »
There are lots of Eagles for sale, a lot more MCI's though. Eagle owners tend to keep them longer! ;D Most MCI's were hounds with lots of miles.

Having said that, always consider the mechanical first, then the appearance and last what's inside, it's hidden anyway. You can always change the interior to suit much cheaper and easier than an engine or brakes.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cprv&itm=eagle

This link will show all of CL, eBay and others. You can search for any make there.

Keep us posted,

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline wayne

• 1990 Setra 215 HDH
  • www.mybusgarage.com
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 06:48:39 AM »
I have never driven a MCI or an Eagle. Before I bought my Setra I talked to many bus owners and concluded I wanted the Eagle but a little more modern, so I went to Greensboro and got me a 215HDH. I drove it back to Michigan with almost 600k on it and it went perfect, drove like a dream. I took a tool kit just in case because this bus was getting used as a parts bus when I found it, but no issues. I'm sure it's preference as many think but there is a whole lot of serious engineering in this Setra and I have been through it from front to back. I'm always impressed with it. Good Luck with your choice, it took me forever.

Offline frontman

• Frontman
    • Big Back Yard
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 07:04:22 AM »
I'm feeling better and better about my recent Eagle purchase! 
Chad

Offline rusty

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 07:08:41 AM »
I have a dog in this hunt so take what I am saying with a grain of salt. There are a lot of good busses out there that will make you a fine conversion. The Eagle does have a problem or two. As far as rust I have seen many Eagles that have very little rust. I have seen them almost half gone and still going down the road, That tells you a little about how well built they are. Parts can be found for them. Most of the parts are off the shelf at truck parts store. The ones that are Eagle can be found with the exception of the 01 springs. With a little luck Eagle will be reborn and the parts thing will go away. Also we can always use a new member in our club.

Good Luck Wayne

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »
Let a old GMC person step in and get on this soap box on Eagle/MCI subject.
First let me say this if it were not for GMC and Greyhound building the PD-4501 Scenicruiser there would have been no reason for Continental Trailways to even build the Eagle back in the mid 1950's.
The Greyhound PD-4501 Scenicruiser was so popular that Continental Trailways was seeing a big loss in ridership through out it's entire route system.
Continental Trailways had to have a coach to compete with the Greyhound PD-4501.
So the folks at Continental Trailways had the Eagle production started in the late 50's.
Now I am not going to say which is a better coach MCI/Eagle.
But after talking to Mr Norris at Jefferson Bus repair in OKC,OK he stated that the suspension system parts are no longer being built for the Eagle model coach.
So one might want to step back and take another look at the Eagle brand.
As for MCI and the MC-9 series coaches they are every where.
And finding parts for the MCI coaches are a lot easier.
I happen to own a P8M4905A so I do not have a dog in this fight so to speak so I will stand down from this old soap box and give it to some one else.
Perhaps a Prevost person will step in and make a statement.
jlv

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal