Author Topic: Bus Breakdown E of Denver  (Read 13476 times)

Offline ghanson

• MC 9
Bus Breakdown E of Denver
« on: April 10, 2006, 01:42:26 PM »
Here is the latest on my breakdown in Colorado last week, and any opinions on this are welcome.  I just got this message from Harvey at S&S, and while I'll probably have to go with this, it seems kind of expensive.   Comments?  Thanks....g

FYI
We have found a alternator,$1684,the core is no good because it burnt up and broke.
We need to replace bearings in the drive assembly for the alt.,Some wiring also.
Parts and labor will be in the $3000 dollar neighborhood.
Harvey
ghanson MC 9
ghanson@ipapilot.org

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: Bus Breakdown E of Denver
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 02:16:48 PM »
Holy smokes! G! Hey I don't know I mean ya they are a big Franchise DD and all and yes those alternators are expensive I can get 'em all day long rebuilt by a shop in Memphis, TN who has a great reputation for $700 exchange and I think they only get like a $400 core charge! I got a used one on the self that I took off and replaced as we put a new engine (and in my opinion that's the time to do it!), but there was nothing wrong with the altenator I took off I just don't like chang'n 'em in the bus! I'd take $750 for it straight out! I was keeping it as a spare for our charter buses, but if it'll help a fellow bus nut out I can sell it! It still looks "new or rebuilt" and still charges good! Shipping would run ya $100 or less! Just a thought! Maybe help ya save about half of what they are get'n ya for a new one so I'd say it's a toss up and yer $! If yer interested in it give me a call! 731-885-7460
Bryce aka "Knuckle"
PS If they are charging $1684 for just the altenator and the whole jobs gonna be $3000 parts and labor including the altenator that's not to bad! I'd say 2/3rds is parts and 1/3rd labor Usually labor matches if not doubles parts at a lot of "Big shops and Dealerships!"
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Sammy

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 02:59:28 PM »
What kind of coach and alternator do you have??
Seems a bit steep on the cost.   :o

Offline ghanson

• MC 9
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 04:33:27 PM »
I guess I should mention that it's an MC9, with a Detroit 8v71.
ghanson MC 9
ghanson@ipapilot.org

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 06:17:54 PM »
Glenn,

For what it's worth, my alternator replacement cost last summer was not too far from that price (your alt price, not including labor), and I installed it myself (with some help from a friend).

Oh, by the way, there's a good chance it took your regulator out, too, so expect that to be added on later when they get the alternator installed.

And, this was a fire, so seems like your insurance should pick it up on comp.

If some wiring got burned and the drive bearings are toast, the labor doesn't sound too bad to me. Expect about $85 per hour. It'll take two guys a 4-5 hours each to install the new alt and fix the bearings in the drive. Probably another 3-4 to fix the wiring, and another 2 to check it all out. So maybe a total of say 15-20 hours.

Considering I was expecting they were going to tell you that when the alternator ate itself, all the metal shavings and gear teeth got down into the engine, or the drive shaft was busted and they would have to pull or rebuild the engine, I think that's probably a fair price.

Oh, speaking of which, you probably want them to change the oil and filter, too, to get all the contaminants out. I'm still getting high copper readings in my oil from when mine went.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 07:54:23 PM »
Yeah I agree that it ain't that bad a price figuring what they got fix and the $ in parts with the altenator being that much of it is pretty reasonable! But I also know how sometimes there is a budget and a dollar or $500 of them add up, when saving it, or when dishing it out ! 8)    Knuckle   ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 07:52:22 AM »
If it were me, and I'm really cheap , I think I would pull the alternator and drive, plate the hole and head for home.  Pick up a 24 volt battery charger and run off the generator for a while. I ran for almost six months like that a few years back.
It's almost always less expensive at home and when you are less pressed for time.

Also, if you are not running bus air or a big inverter, think about a belt driven truck alternator. Much less expensive and easier to find.

FWIW

Good luck,

Len Silva

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 08:20:40 AM »
Greg- I also had to replace my DN50 gear drive a couple of months ago.  But since mine is a V drive, it was relatively easy to get to (compared to your T drive with the alternator some what buried).  With the rebuilt alternator to recent specs (it had another oil line leading to the front bearing) and changing from my transistorized huge black box regulator to the digital that is about 1 1/2 times the size of a deck of cards, it cost right at $1,000.00, with a 1 year warrantee.  S&S is one of the best in the industry. And with your fire, the repairs don't sound entirely to high.  Granted you might find a cheaper way to go, but I can say with almost 100% certainty, that the repair should be done properly and you most likely won't have more trouble in the future.  I would still like to know why it started on fire-maybe ask if they've seen this before?  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 10:43:41 AM »
The understanding here, and Glenn will correct this if it's wrong, is that there was an internal mechanical failure which caused the alternator housing to break as it ate itself, and dumped oil all over the engine, which then ignited, presumably from an electrical spark, exhaust manifold or turbo.

As for plating it and driving it home, that's somewhat difficult to do when you are 1000 miles from home with limited tools, limited resources, limited time available, and somewhat limited knowledge about what might have caused this or what damage might have been suffered by the fire and internal mechanical failure.

Oh, and if I understand correctly, he was also fighting to quel a mutiny by the family in the aftermath of it all.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline busboy

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 10:47:07 AM »
If you do a search on ebay for "bus alternator", there is a 50DN that is brand new for $1382...it's in Canada.
-Brent

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 10:57:51 AM »
Bruce, glad to see you are doing it right. Crimp lugs should never be soldered according to all the experts I have had dealings with.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 01:10:38 PM »
If you do a search on ebay for "bus alternator", there is a 50DN that is brand new for $1382...it's in Canada.
-Brent

Yeah Canada! And shipping on a 115 lb. altenator is gonna cost what? $150 or more? I paid $ 78 dollars  shipping from PA to TN for a new one I just bought!   ;D   Knuckle ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

DrDave

Re: Bus Breakdown E of Denver - Alternators
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 01:12:25 PM »
I don't know about you guys.

I would have looked for a truck salvage yard and gotten one from them for about $250
gear drive 50DN's are a dime a dozen at times in truck salvage places because the buy
and scrap buses quite a lot.

I gave a scrap man 2 working 24 volt Delco 50DN gear drive units last year
that I got when I bought some salvage engines and cradles.

I guess many have a lot more money to burn than I do. A $3000 on the road repair
would mean total disaster. That's almost 1/2 of my annual take home pay.

I have moments of desparation, They happen faster if money is involved....

Offline Sammy

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 02:30:19 PM »
I also recommend to have them check the wiring from the voltage regulator to the alternator.
Sounds like it might have full fielded for a long period of time, taking out the drive along the way.
Have them inspect the gear train as best as possible, sometimes when the drive lets go it sends the ball bearings into the gear train - even bigger trouble.
Thought it might have been a belt driven 50DN, that's why cost seemed a bit high to me.
Best of luck with the repairs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal