Author Topic: Saw a bunch of Prevost yesterday  (Read 1682 times)

Offline paul102a3

Saw a bunch of Prevost yesterday
« on: August 18, 2009, 04:17:53 AM »
Hi all,

We were tooling along I-75 northbound yesterday and heading in the opposite direction was a group of newer Prevost coaches. What was interesting to us was none of them were towing anything. We counted 9 coaches over a 10 mile distance. It was pretty cool seeing that many heading in one direction and we assumed they have been heading to a rally or show.

On the way back to the Tampa area, we stopped in at Marathon Coach (we needed to kill some time to avoid rush hour traffic) and the visit was both interesting and depressing at the same time.

I had never seen a Marathon conversion and I have to say, it was pretty spectacular. The one my wife really liked was a 2003 with 89,000 miles for only $700,000.

The depressing part was getting back into the girl and heading home.

On the bright side, by the time we were home we convinced ourselves that our bus was just fine for us and the good news is, it is paid for.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
    • Dreamscape Eagle Travels
Re: Saw a bunch of Prevost yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 04:50:15 AM »
When reality kicks in, it's nice to know there is one!

Only for the rich and famous I say. I'm neither so I'm not going to go there!

Paul
Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:48:25 AM »
I decided a long time ago I was making a motorhome to be comfortable for me with everything in it I needed.  I'm not trying to impress anyone, and if someone thinks my bus is to sparce, then they can go back to their bus with mirrors, rope lights, leather, marble etc.  I hope most of you make the bus for yourself and not try to impress others.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:19:54 AM »
Hi all,

We were tooling along I-75 northbound yesterday and heading in the opposite direction was a group of newer Prevost coaches. What was interesting to us was none of them were towing anything. We counted 9 coaches over a 10 mile distance. It was pretty cool seeing that many heading in one direction and we assumed they have been heading to a rally or show.

They might have been entertainer coaches hauling some big name artist and crew around on tour

Offline luvrbus

• Gold Donor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
That salemans dreaming if he thinks somebody will pay 700g's for a 7 year old Provost when Featherlite just before they went out were selling new ones for 800 g's.
You can buy those coaches for around 1/2 of list price new 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline paul102a3

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »
I forgot to mention that when we were at Marathon, they were work working on Jeff Gordon's (of NASCAR) trade in. Got to see the outside but they wouldn't let us on board. The salesman said it had a real funky layout and was a great floorplan as long as you don't have to travel in it. I gather they were redoing the floorplan to make it more marketable to the general public.

I don't know the real value of the Marathon conversion but after what I saw yesterday, I can understand why some folks with lots of money buy these things.

Everything on this 2003 bus from the toilet to the tires was the best money can buy. While the asking price was 700K, I know 525K would send it down the road.

Doing the math, I am about  520K short.

All in all, it was a fun way to kill a couple of hours.

Paul
2001 Prevost XL II

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »
You can always tell the entertainers, they have no toad and lots of top mount A/C units.

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:25:18 PM »
After the wow factor settles, start looking closely at the store bought bus conversion. Inside the cupboards, under the furniture, the robustness of the mechanical activators for all the automated things....

Yes, some are a fine piece of craftsmanship, others not so much. What will it take to keep it going, did they maximize the space use? Can you get all your stuff in? Can you repair what goes wrong? Will it withstand some winter weather? Can you easily change anything?

Or, does any of that really matter to you and the way you will be camping?

I'm glad there are turn key solutions for those that want them, and do it yourself opportunities for those that are handy.

We're all busnuts, and both groups benefit from the existence of the other!

And, some have played on both sides!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline Green-Hornet

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »
All I know is when I finally get my bus it will be an entertainer.

An entertainer of me! ;D