Author Topic: Ideas for a trip to MI and the U P  (Read 5364 times)

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
Ideas for a trip to MI and the U P
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:04:12 PM »
I am looking for ideas for camping, State and National forests. Possible hiking and biking trails also. We are not into private campgrounds, looking more for rustic and scenic areas. Not sure what is in MI, probally no waterfalls or gorges?  Thanks Tom
Tom Yaegle

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
Re: Ideas for a trip to MI and the U P
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 01:11:29 PM »
Tom,
    We were at Taquahmenon Falls a couple weeks ago near Paradise, MI in the Eastern part of the UP. A very nice state park campground and great hiking trail between the upper and lower falls. While in the area, be sure to go the the Whitefish Point Lighthouse and Shipwreck Museum. Thay have the bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald on display along with a lot of other stuff from other Great Lake Shipwrecks.  Be sure and eat a Pastie (pronounced pass-tee) at the snack shop at Whitefish Point. Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 01:21:03 PM »
Tom,
What time of year are you thinking about?  There are so many great festivals and attractions to see.  Also, can you give us an idea of how you plan to travel through the state - wanting to stay in the middle, east, west, or just go where there are things to see?  I have several books on rustic camping in MI and have been to a fair number of state parks.  Love em'!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline Lonnie time to go

• Lonnie
  • Saginaw, Michgan
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »
So many idea's for you don't know where to start.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365-213567--,00.html
http://www.michrenfest.com/

this one is at the top of the thumb one of my Favorite's
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=494&type=SPRK

Is the L10 cummins complete would love to check that out lol

Lonnie

1976 4905

cody

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 02:17:32 PM »
Tom, guess we got it all, just takes a while to find it lol, you can follow US-41 untill you run out of road, it ends just beyond copper harbor in the Keweenaw Penninsula, you can go over the brockway mountains and look out over lake superior for 100 miles or so, or check out 1840's forts, go thru old copper mines that date back into the 1840's, stop and say hi to Da Yoopers at their place, lots of stuff to do just around where we are at the west end.

cody

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:33:01 PM »
Tom, if you get to this end of the UP we can show you around to a bunch of great places, the mosquitos will need to know what blood type you are tho lol, as far as rustic we've got a lot of rustic, not much of the modern stuff, lower michigan grabbed all that while we were looking thru the pile but we sure got rustic. Not sure if you know what an agate is but it's a semi precious stone they make belt buckles and stuff out of, I know of a vein of it we pry out bolder sized pieces, stuff like that we got a lot of lol.

Offline JimW7

• 1970 MC7
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 03:28:03 PM »
Tom;
We don't live there, but every Oct., around mid-month we go to either the Porcupine Mountain area (northwestern U.P.) or Ft Mclain St. park (Kewenaw Peninsula). Lots of trails, nice rustic places (at the Porkies), beautiful views of Superior. It usually is warmer, so the leaves are almost full color.(maple). Then a trip up to the Locks, then down to  the Mackinac bridge. We love the big lakes, so to us, it can't be beat. Jim.
1970 MCI 7 serial # 8425

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 06:59:05 PM »
Jack, Thanks.

Glenn, Planning on the weeks each side of Labor Day. Not sure maybe up the east side, but whatever sounds the best.

Lonnie, Thanks.  The L10 is up and running. Back from Acadia a couple weeks ago working out the bugs. Time for another test drive.

Cody, Thanks We hope to travel across the U P and down thru WI.

Jim, Thanks
                Thanks Guys    Tom Y 
Tom Yaegle

cody

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »
We're right at the base of the Keweenaw Penninsula in Baraga

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 08:40:37 PM »
Definitley cruise the west side then.  If you run up lake Michigan, you can visit Saugatuck, (a great artist community), Holland (known for it's tulip festival), Grand Haven (for it's pier and lighthouse), Luddington for it's car ferries, beach shopping, Manistee for antiquing, shopping, a great state park on Lake Michigan (they are all busy at this time of year), you have to see the dunes at Sleeping Bear National Forest ( they are several hundred feet tall!), cut through Traverse City, (another cool town), hit Mackinac City and Mackinaw Island (can also be done from St. Ignace across the bridge).  From there, ask Cody!  I'm a troll.  Cody will explain!  ;)

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer

cody

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 12:44:02 AM »
Yep Glenns a troll but thats ok, I know a bunch of great trolls, hey, as an idea maybe we could get Glenn and his group to sing with Da Yoopers, now that would be different, I gotta say tho that I went to Glenns website, I am truly impressed with the quality of sound, those guys are great.

Offline jok

• It’s a bus thing...I’m glad we’re on board!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 09:05:17 PM »
Tom,

Glenn pointed out some of the best spots on the east side of Michigan heading north toward the U.P.

If you travel through southwest Michigan in the area of I-94 and US-131 you can visit the AirZoo (http://www.airzoo.org/) in Kalamazoo. We were there with our 8 year old granddaughter this week and it was great. You can see a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, a B-25, a F-14 Tomcat, and the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane, and around 50 more aircraft. They also have full-motion flight simulators, 4-D Missions Theater, and rides for the kids. Admission is FREE thru September 30th. Rides still have a charge ($12.00 for the day).

If you travel up US-31 along Lake Michigan another great spot is Silver Lake Sand Dunes just south of Ludington. You can drive the dunes in your own 4 wheel drive vehicle (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-34760--,00.html) or ride on Mac Woods Dune Rides (http://www.macwoodsdunerides.com/).

There is a nice campground at Silver Lake State Park (http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=493&type=SPRK).

Cody, I like your idea of Glenn and his group performing with Da Yoopers. We saw Da Yoopers a few years ago and they are a blast.

Glenn, I met you at the CCO Halloween Rally in 2007. Haven't seen your performance, but enjoyed your website. I'll have to catch one of your shows.

John
1990 Prevost
1977 MC8-Sold
Southwest Michigan

Offline jok

• It’s a bus thing...I’m glad we’re on board!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 09:10:15 PM »
Oops, meant to say "west" side of Michigan.

John
1990 Prevost
1977 MC8-Sold
Southwest Michigan

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 05:40:17 AM »
Thanks for the compliments John and Cody!  I think a combined show with Da Yoopers would be a blast too.  I forgot about the air museum.  I've been meaning to take my son Matt (just turned 3 last week). 

During the week after Labor day, Great Lakes Converted Coach is having a rally in Charlotte Michigan.  They are a chapter of FMCA.

John, I do remember meeting you at the Halloween rally.  I'd just recently finished the article in BCM about your prevost and said "HEY! I know that bus!"  How's the MCI coming?  We will be a the halloween rally this year too.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer

cody

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 07:34:44 AM »
I think everyone should check out the UP whenever they can, especially the rich prevo guys and the hugely affluent mci guys, our economy needs the boost and the mosquitos need the fresh blood lol.  I didn't get anything done on the anti-KOA this summer cause of dire poverty but there is always next year lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal