Author Topic: camp vs travel  (Read 6398 times)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
camp vs travel
« on: August 25, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
How many people use their bus primarily to "camp", with all that implies (campfires, smores, mosquitos, loud noisy neighbours drinking and carousing till 2 in thhe morningm but I digress) vs "travel" - go various places, stay in various spots, emphasis on the travel/tour as opposed to getting near to nature.  Or a third option - my intended primary use will be to travel, to race tracks and either race my cars or have my customers race their cars.  So I travel point to point, no sightseeing, and hang out in a parking lot surrounded by ultra noisy neighbours with screaming engines all day, then point to point home again to hopefully recover from the trip...

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
Re: camp vs travel
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:57:16 PM »

Why limit yourself, you can do all of those and whatever else you might think of.  the bus gives you freedom. :)
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Hartley

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:04:13 PM »
The only reason to go home is to save up money for more fuel.
( or have access to the rest of your tools..) :-\ :-\
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline fe2_o3

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »
    We use ours for all of the above. We camp, travel, attend functions, even transport friends and family to where ever.
    When we worked we camped. Now retired we go where we want when we want and stay as long as we want.
    We've hauled family and friends to weddings, funerals, birthdays, games, rallies and graduations.
    We've also used it as a getaway for days or weeks at a time.
    Our only limitation seems to be the cost of fuel, and how long I can stay awake....Cable
Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.

Offline paul102a3

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »
Per your definition, our bus will be used for travel. I say "will be" because we have yet to take our first real trip. We are leaving two weeks from today assuming all the maintenance is completed for a 4-5 week trip through the NE.

Our preference is to see all the wonderful sights and experience different parts of N. America. I suspect this would be hard to do if we spent a lot of time camping.

We followed the "travel" pattern in our boating days and were able to explore 60% of the Bahamas over a 2 year period. Interestingly, we learned and experienced more about the culture and history of the Bahamas in 2 years than many cruisers that had been going to the Bahamas for 30 plus years.

We are hoping the same will be true as we start our land yachting expeditions.

Paul

cody

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:26:38 PM »
We camp, we travel, we carouse, we enjoy, life is too short to not enjoy it, whatever we need the bus for, it's there for it, sometimes I just sit in it to watch tv, sometimes I even putter and work in it.

Offline tpboj

• PD4501-805
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 02:43:17 PM »
Our bus is not really ready for traveling yet but I do enjoy just sitting back in it and dreaming of what it will be and sipping on a cool liquid refreshment or 2   or 3   orrrrr4      orrrrr _______

I'm sorry what was the question

Offline Van

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 02:44:21 PM »
Cody,that doesn't cover the nature part.Guess if ya did it nekid it would  :o ;D :D
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

cody

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »
Nekid? you mean we supposed to wear clothes? yikes, ohhhhhhhh the humanity

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
    • Creative Custom Cabinetry
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »
We do both, we like just going for the weekend to the federal parks that are close buy and sit around the campfire. And also we like to travel but we can't do that much traveling other than our yearly vacations to the beach, and this year we get two vacations one to the beach and one to Disney in November, but mostly just weekend camping for us. Jason

Offline lostagain

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 07:15:40 PM »
I take our teenage boys dirt bike racing on weekends with the bus. Lots of noise there: bikes, power washers, generators, lots of fun.

We use the bus to go shopping to Calgary, or Coeurd'Alene, Id, Spokane, Wa. We sleep at Wal.M., Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, truck stops, the side of the road, etc.

We've gone camping to lakes, or National Park campgrounds that we hike out of.

We go to horse shows that my wife is at, and cater to her and her helpers with food and drinks, and moral support.

I go to some rallies like Busn'USA in Oregon, and the BC Bus Nuts rallies in Spring and Fall.

Any excuse to use the bus in the summer...

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 04:54:07 AM »
   I guess we do both.  We rarely stay anyplace more than a week, but we do enjoying sitting around and relaxing when we are parked as well as seeing the local sights. We have also attended NASCAR races in our coach.
  There are so many ways to enjoy a coach, from simply sitting in it in the back yard to living it it full time and everything in between.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 05:20:25 AM »
I think it's a combination of both, at least for us! We full time and have only been able to travel one time since doing so this last March. Now as I start taking college classes this coming Monday, it'll be even less. :(

The best part is just going, filling up the tanks, the smell of diesel, seeing the country and meeting bus nuts for a gathering! Life couldn't get any better than that!

Now, if I could just remember where I put the keys!!!

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 05:31:58 AM »
Now, if I could just remember where I put the keys!!!
Paul

That is why I dd not use a key type switch  LOL   Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 05:45:40 AM »
I guess I'd say we do a wide mix.  We generally plan one "big" family excursion each year (multi-state, 10-14 days).  --- I'm not retired or full timing, so that constitues a big trip for us.  During these trips, we stay in national/state parks, commercial campgrounds, and the occasional Walmart parking lot.  These trips blend a hectic sightseeing schedule with some built in down time to burn marshmellows over a campfire.

At other points during the year we use the bus for a variety of other activities.  We try to work in some weekend camping trips, and these are usually "relax in the woods" getaways.  The bus also goes to weekend long soccer tournaments, and has tailgated at MLB baseball and college football games. With the bathroom facilities , heat, and kitchen, it gets pressed into service at some local events: parked on the lot where the scouts are selling Christmas trees, and charity walk-a-thons. It was used once as "moving van" for a friend moving from one apartment to another. She was astounded how many boxes a 4104 will hold if you use the bays and the inside.

One of these days, I like to add a ski trip to our bus log.
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal