Author Topic: Covering windows from the inside of the bus concern and ?  (Read 10865 times)

Offline scanzel

Covering windows from the inside of the bus concern and ?
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »
I have a Prevost and because we like the view from the inside we are retaining as many windows in their original state as possible. But I will need to cover over two windows but I do not want to skin from the outside because I have not found anything thin and rigid enough to do it from the outside. So my question is for the ones that retained their windows but covered them from the inside, what did you use to cover them so it cannot be seen from the outside when up close and is there any concern of heat build up between the covering and the glass. I was thinking of some thin lywood painted black against the glass and then when I spray foam,cover the plywood before I put up the final wall covering of 1/2" plywood. Thank You.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline skolbibp

Re: Covering windows from the inside of the bus concern and ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
I don't know about covering from the inside but we do make window covers for the outside.  I believe they are .080 thick.  I can confirm this tomorrow.  You can call me at 1-800-468-5287 x232.

Steve

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:00:32 PM »
You might apply just a real dark shade of tint to the inside. Remember black is hot. I painted the inside of some window when I had a Ford Eoconline van, looked great from the outside. I wouldn't do that again though.

FWIW,

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline BUR

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »
Steve  I only have 3/4 of a window  above the sink covered by the upper cabinet. I painted the back of the cabinet black before I put it up, you never see it from the outside. When I bought the Bus the restroom window was painted black from the inside.    BUR
1980 Prevost   8V92 HT754CR
Homebase   Yuma AZ

Offline busdesigner

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:20:08 AM »
Steve, on some Provost they have the lock rubber on the inside with a metal ring on it for emergency use, make sure the lock rubber is on the out side in case the window is ever damaged and you have to replace it. Now as to blacking out the window. You have options. Your original plan would work for you, another way to do it, purchase window black out material from MCI that they use to black out the tops of the wind shields it is very good and last almost as long as the bus does it comes wide enough to cover the window in one piece. To put it on I recommend taking out the window to put the film on, reason for that is there is a little bit of shrinkage in the film if you put it on with the window in place and trimming it to the rubber edge it will shrink leaving a line of exposure, by taking the window out you can trim it to the out side edge thus a leaving that problem. When you put it back in then the rubber is holding the film in. The real trick to putting the blackout film on is to make sure the window is well covered with fluid.  Like window cleaner or what they recommend from MCI. The reason you need to do that is to help get out the air bubbles. Once you've got it wet place the film on,then starting in the middle  using a hard piece of plastic ( you can use a credit card or bondo spreader) push the liquid out to the edge of the window in all directions. Take your time being sure to get every air bubble out. When your done and you find some tiny air bubble you can use a needle to prick the bubble then use a hair dryer to help dry it out and use the plastic to push it down but be careful not to tare the film where you have pierced it.

busdesigner

Offline steamguy56

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 05:18:52 AM »
Steve
I just finished the job of covering the windows that I wanted gone, Prevost has the blanks. They are alum. with a primered outer side. One blank covers two windows. I used 6 blanks, Very expensive. For just 2 windows, I would not go this direction. You have to pull the drip rail, 2 per side. Widows and frames, stress over the choice of what caulk to use, what rivets to use, ect, ect, ect,. I will have to admit it did make for a pretty job. It's raining out, think I'll go for a spin (see if she leaks)
Danny

Offline Singing Land Cruiser

• Michael & Christi Hargis
  • Found another Bus= '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71
    • michaelhargis.com
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »
We have a 102a3 MCI and did the "Poor mans build". It looks like you bus has the rubber trim around it, If so this my work for you.
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/search/label/Window%20Skins
Hope it helps, M&C ;D
Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
RV Park MGRS/ Sans End RV Park
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
'77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71

Offline philiptompkjns

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 07:22:41 AM »
I might need to make a new thread about this but  I was wondering If there is a company that makes window plugs or skins simmalier to what they made in this: http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/search/label/Window%20Skins
I just got  a 102a3 and have  a few cracked windows. I do not want to skin  the whole bus  and would kind of like to keep it looking like a bus from the outside, but was planning on covering up some of the windows on the  inside.
I am also trying  to keep this conversion as  low  budjet as  possible.
If I can find stock non-cracked wondows locally  I might  go that route and just cover them from the inside.

Thanks.
1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »
Have 89 prevost. like you like the wide open feeling leaving as many windows in as possible..Covered several areas with 20ga steel formed from top down.Tacked top from inside to steel bus frame(window) then kept pulling in around radius and tacking. insulated then applied wall covering.. on another area used mirror reflective tint behind a ref.that you could see from outside.. uses on top front windows and partially on front windows above viewing area..also side windows down about a foot from top.really helps on heat from sun. product came from LOWES..it gives you reflective values AND visibility ratings on package.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline gus

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
You don't really need anything solid like wood or metal. Paint is the easiest and best.

However, use white, not black. Black is a tremendous heat absorber and will make the bus unbearable in summer.

How do I know this? My bus had many black painted windows and I finally had to scrape all off I could reach. We used curtains to cover all we could and I will paint the rest white when I have things out of the way. Some I will never be able to reach.

The heat absorbed by the black paint is nice in cold weather but you pay the price in summer.

Very dark tinted plastic available anywhere will probably do as well as paint but it will be hot like paint, probably not as much though.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »
Phil,

Where do you live? I have a buddy (Doug1968) that has a 102a3 and he pulled out several windows, he may still have them. He lives in Vancouver WA.

Other than that, you might go to WM, HD or Lowes and get some window tint film. I've heard it works pretty good, and just sticks on.

Paul

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »
I did exactly what you are suggesting. I have a 3.5 inch thick insulation sealed to marine plywood. I stripped the inside and then built the interior the way I wanted. I did not want to get into the business of covering windows. I plan on having each of the blackout windows covered with an external tint that is totally black.  I designed the interior so that if in the future I decide to add a window I simple find the site and cut back the insulation board and there you go!

If someone finds a premanufactured external window cover for the MCI 9 let me know.

Thanks

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline philiptompkjns

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 09:44:29 PM »
Phil,

Where do you live? I have a buddy (Doug1968) that has a 102a3 and he pulled out several windows, he may still have them. He lives in Vancouver WA.

Other than that, you might go to WM, HD or Lowes and get some window tint film. I've heard it works pretty good, and just sticks on.

Paul
Paul, I am in FL. right now, and I have a base in Houston.
Would he ship them?   Is it even possible?
Thanks.
1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 04:16:15 AM »
Check your My Messages, I sent you a PM.

Why is it when you try to help someone they live on the other side of the planet?  ;D

Paul

Offline Hartley

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 08:51:41 AM »
Be careful about too much heat build up in the glass.

Prevost windows will explode easier due to the curves.
( The double pane prevost glass will explode easier. ) I had 4 of them
explode in the shipping crate when someone left the cover off. One side
got too hot.

MCI single pane will crack usually on one layer of the laminated glass sheets
and later will fail completely. Due to heat reflecting back between the inside
insulation sheets and into the glass itself. I have 2 like that now and expect
them to self destruct anytime now. Lucky the bus is backed into the barn out
of the direct sun...
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal