Author Topic: Covering windows from the inside of the bus concern and ?  (Read 10842 times)

Offline jok

• It’s a bus thing...I’m glad we’re on board!
Re: Covering windows from the inside of the bus concern and ?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 05:55:31 PM »
My MC8 had some windows painted black on the inside by the previous owner, they cracked. There are many windows behind walls and the windows that were not painted had black plastic behind them attached to the wall. They are visible from the outside and now look real bad. I ordered a roll of Exterior Deluxe Silver 20% VLT window tint.

http://www.windowtint.com/shop/Exterior-Deluxe-Silver-20-VLT.html

Hope to install it next week.

John
1990 Prevost
1977 MC8-Sold
Southwest Michigan

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 02:13:30 AM »
Don't paint the inside of laminated windows black. Might look good but it took only a couple of hot days for the  laminations to crack because of the differential expansion between the two layers.
Any hotter and the glass would just about have started to melt.

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 04:25:14 AM »
Most RV dual pane windows do not have gas in between the layers, they will have better luck not cracking. Most of the time glass will crack if the glass gets hot then someone washes the window with cooler water, then you watch the cracks appear while your standing there wondering what the heck is going on. On another forum I watch, there have been no reports of cracking glass due to adding a darkening film. That's not to say it will never happen though.

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline philiptompkjns

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »
Well, with all the negative feedback I've gotten on  the  window covering idea I'm thinking of  just replacing the ones that are cracked with some sort of "blank", maybe a plastic sheet covering treated plywood? 

Also, does anyone know how to get the moisture out from in between the double pained windows? I read about the two iron thing, has anyone actually done this?
1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:51:10 AM »
Well, with all the negative feedback I've gotten on  the  window covering idea I'm thinking of  just replacing the ones that are cracked with some sort of "blank", maybe a plastic sheet covering treated plywood? 

Also, does anyone know how to get the moisture out from in between the double pained windows? I read about the two iron thing, has anyone actually done this?

The only effective way I have found to get the moisture out was to replace them! FWIW!

Now 2 things come to mind. One is that there are many of these buses out there being parted out and should be readily available.

ABC sells used parts and has a location in FL (Winter Garden) and TX (Grand Prairie) or Call Dean Gregor @ 1-800-222-2875 ext. 156.
Nick @ Nimco 800-526-8055
Luke @ US Coach 888-262-2434
Sam @ Caylor Supply 785-878-3405
Bryce @ KY Lakeside Travel 731-885-7460  ( ;D )
and I'm sure of more.

Also how about getting what ever type of material you want to use on the outside and putting it in the window frame and shimming it from the inside or using thin plywood as a backing so it fits the frame like the original window?
I know someone who did this and it looked very sharp! (Not completely smooth like skinning the whole side, but very nice and functional!)
Also I know a guy who left the windows in and used thin sheet metal on the outside of the window frames riveted in from around the outside!

Personally I'd go ahead and skin over the desired openings, but then again I don't have a conversion yet! (just 7 seated coaches!)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline scanzel

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 09:39:25 AM »
Thanks for all the great feedbacks, I only need to cover and eliminate two separately so I will either remove the glass and make up a new insert or find some aluminum or fiberglass sheeting and rivet it in place to the existing fiberglass frame. Anybody know where to get fiberglass sheets?
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline belfert

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »

I would use an aluminum/plastic composite panel called alucobond/dibond/reynobond (several brand names).  If you can find a local shop that fabricates with this stuff they should have seconds that might be scratched on one side.  It should be about $25 for enough for one window.

If you were close enough to Minneapolis I have some pieces that might fit your windows.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal