Author Topic: Do I need amp with radio?  (Read 9004 times)

Offline BG6

Re: Do I need amp with radio?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 09:51:18 AM »
Yes, but that's at the radio -- in the front, not back where the people are who want the volume adjusted.  And you can't just put in a pot or cutoff switch back there, because the radio power amp transistor can burn up if there is no load on the output.

The passengers can just ask the driver to change the volume.  I don't think it will be an issue as the volume on the boom box we used in the past didn't get changed all that much.

When you say speakers in the back, I think of the rear half of the coach.  Maybe you mean the front half, just behind the driver.

I don't think I would want to be shouting from one end to the other, over road noise, "A little louder . . .no, too much, a little lower now . . ."  That would be too much like backing into a small space while someone you can't see is shouting "This way . . .now go that way a little . . !"   ;)

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »
I think 7.1 is wasted in the confined space of a bus/RV.  5.1 or 3.1 is more appropriate, in my humble opinion and trust me....its humble.  More like a hunch, but, there is a sweet spot to appreciate stereo affects and that I know.  That spot becomes mere feet wide in distance from the speakers and placement in a small area or when you are close to the speakers.  Sinking a bunch of money in equipment of this sophistication is a waste in an RV environment.  They make head phones with multi speakers in each ear piece and they create surround sound for the listener and I think that finds application for those wanting to not disturb and also those that listen in a difficult acoustic environment.

All that being said:  The better home rigs will "synthesize" the 5.1 audio signals from the input radio and TV and IPOD signals.  Really pleasurable listening.  Not Audiophile quality by any stretch but nice.  And here is my bottom line: the "packaged systems that include the array of speakers and the amp and the sophisticated receiver are way cheaper and better performing than you can get if you mix and match  on your own.  Way, way cheaper and better performing.

Don't limit you system capabilities to your current needs if you can embrace a wider spectrum of performance for little added cost.  You are not the only user but you are the primary so your min must be met.

As for listening to "your" stuff while the rest of the coach indulges their tastes.....environment noise cancelling high performance head sets are my solution.  Wireless is an inferior performer but if you can't tell the difference then enjoy the mobility.

If you don't have AM and FM broadcast reception then just how in the heck can you get the nightly Rush Limbaugh "news" and have any chance of staying up on current events/informed?  Just answer me that. ;) ::) ;D ;D  PBS might be out there but who would listen to that propaganda?

Pioneer has some trendy and worthwhile systems that can only be made to work if the pieces are all made by Pioneer.  I bought it and like it very much.  It ain't Audiophile by any stretch.

John

I don't know how good the DVD will play in a bus but if you want 6+ speakers to play CD's on you'll have all the controls for relatively cheap. ;D   you can even find them with the speakers.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4523656&SRCCODE=SMARTER&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmFzyfwyCjCVqHCjCdwwp
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline belfert

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
Yes, but that's at the radio -- in the front, not back where the people are who want the volume adjusted.  And you can't just put in a pot or cutoff switch back there, because the radio power amp transistor can burn up if there is no load on the output.

The passengers can just ask the driver to change the volume.  I don't think it will be an issue as the volume on the boom box we used in the past didn't get changed all that much.

When you say speakers in the back, I think of the rear half of the coach.  Maybe you mean the front half, just behind the driver.

I don't think I would want to be shouting from one end to the other, over road noise, "A little louder . . .no, too much, a little lower now . . ."  That would be too much like backing into a small space while someone you can't see is shouting "This way . . .now go that way a little . . !"   ;)

When I say rear I mean the living area.  Two speakers up by the driver and four in the front living area.  The speakers in the living area would be connected to the rear ouput of the radio.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal