Author Topic: question regarding rear brake relay.  (Read 2775 times)

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
question regarding rear brake relay.
« on: September 05, 2009, 04:36:33 AM »
The PO or the PPO or the PPPO installed a later model rear relay on my 4104.  I had not been concerned about this 'til I read a post about someone's bus where a "bobtail" (?) relay had been installed instead of a proper relay.  Well the rear relay on my bus looks truckish, no numbers that I can see, maybe someone recognizes it.  Barring that I will do some pressure tests making sure relay boosts at the same rateas the application valve.  As always thanks for the input.

I'm shameless

my helper after cleaning up

cody

Re: question regarding rear brake relay.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 05:48:36 AM »
That bus with the round windows is cool any more pics of it?

Offline zubzub

• pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 07:58:39 AM »
That bus with the round windows is cool any more pics of it?
I have a few from last winter.  This was the 76 mtl olympics bus, my gus guy said there's is talk of tarting it up and sending out to vancouver for the olympics...it's pretty rough but there's enough stuff around he could do it.  Saw my first V6-92 changed out of a transit yesterday, not as easy as it's sounds but I guess easier than it could be.

Offline DaveG

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 08:31:04 AM »
Air valve looks Bendix, kinda like a R-6...that's a place to start anyway. Looking again, the bottom is not R-6 as R-6 has four delivery ports on bottom, but the domed top is similar.

If the valve only has the four lines, probably the large one (shiney brass) is supply from an air tank, the smaller one is signal (from your brake pedal) and of course the bottom two  are delivery...no problem with the compounding issue. I am assuming this is a service brake relay valve...yes?

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 08:36:26 AM »
Here's the link to the Bendix pic of a "Bobtail proportioning relay valve"

http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=2799

It has two signal line ports, one for the brake pedal, one for the air suspension.

As noted, yours looks traditional, and has no signs of the tell tail extra signal line port.

Here's the catalog pages:  http://www.bendix.com/en-us/service/library/Pages/Catalog.aspx

Scroll down to "valves and related devices"  the R-6 is here: http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=2791

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline zubzub

• pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 11:24:30 AM »
Thanks guys that should help.  patrick.

Offline DaveG

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 03:06:35 PM »
Air valve looks Bendix, kinda like a R-6...that's a place to start anyway. Looking again, the bottom is not R-6 as R-6 has four delivery ports on bottom, but the domed top is similar.

If the valve only has the four lines, probably the large one (shiney brass) is supply from an air tank, the smaller one is signal (from your brake pedal) and of course the bottom two  are delivery...no problem with the compounding issue. I am assuming this is a service brake relay valve...yes?

I guess I shoulda stuck with my first impression! I think the RE-6 has the four ports, two 1/4" & two 3/8"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal