Author Topic: "Auto Park"????  (Read 10105 times)

Offline Timkar

"Auto Park"????
« on: July 15, 2006, 08:44:52 PM »
Just helping a friend with a small Bus (1996) with an Isuzu turbo diesel, 4 spd auto. It is registered as a Chev, but not sure who the mfr is. Engine runs well, emergency brake releases, but we cannot shift from drive. (meant park)There is a lit area on the dash which indicates "Auto Park". How do we release this so that we can shift out of Park. We have tried all switches, etc on the dash and nothing seems to help.
There is also a small lever on dash with 4 amber lights beside it.(you can see it in the pic) As we move the little lever the lights come on, each time you push it down another one comes on or if you push it up the lights go off one at a time. Any idea what this is? Is it some sort of an exhaust brake?
Thanks..Tim
Cawston, British Columbia

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: "Auto Park"????
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 08:49:58 PM »
Tim,

I don't want to sound too goofy but, Have you tried depressing the Brake Peddel?  Then shifting. All chevy chassis from 92' on have that safty.

Trying to help
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Timkar

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 08:59:34 PM »
That's ok..that's the first thing we tried...Had the pedal down with a lot of pressure(a few times)

Offline HarLee

• HarLee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 09:22:03 PM »
First Post - I had the same problem on My Setra - Reached down and pulled the foot pedal up and it started to go again - Oh well - worked for me - and great site - Harry (HarLee)
Harry & Lee Clay
Sequim, WA

Works for Me

Offline HarLee

• HarLee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 09:29:28 PM »
Sorry - I think this is another type of problem - Not much help huh?? :-\ :-\
Harry & Lee Clay
Sequim, WA

Works for Me

Offline akbusguy2000

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:23:36 PM »
I don't know about the Auto Park feature, but am pretty sure the amber lights represent variable positions selected for the retarder - probably a telma or something like it.

tg

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 10:30:29 PM »
It sounds like the vacuum operated park safety latch on the shift column.  When you push the brake pedal the vacuum from the brake system is supposed to activate a vacuum solenoid that releases the park pawl.  Usually there is a manual override on the shift column where you can push or slide a switch and shift at the same time.  Also, make sure the vacuum pump on the engine is working.  Are you doing this when the engine is running?
The dash switch with the amber lites is most likely a Telma retarder.  Look underneath and follow the drive shaft from the transmission back.  About half way back (might also be mounted directly to the transmission or the rear axle) will be what looks like a disc brake but with 6 or 8 electro magnets around the disc.  This is a Telma-which is basically an electric motor in reverse.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Timkar

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 10:47:39 PM »
Thanks Gents....Couldn't find any additional switches or levers in the cab area. Engine was running while we were trying to shift from park. May have to go back up to help him next weekend and ensure the vacuum pump is working. If it is we'll have to jack it, block it and see what's happening around the transmission. Gotta get it moved...I guess we could remove the driveshaft and have it towed, but that's no fun ;) ;)

Moof

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 10:51:12 PM »
Is there possibly a drive shaft brake that sets when you put it into park.  If so that may be stuck.

Offline Timkar

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 07:48:19 AM »
We were thinking there might be some sort of drive shaft brake. When we had it running the brake pedal felt ok, so that makes me think the vacuum pump may have been working. I have heard about some S&S having a driveshaft brake which was set through an "automatic" electric motor when you went in to park. Wondering if this may be the same and have either a wiring or motor problem on this item. BTW this seems to be a Goshen body, maybe I'll try calling them in attempt to get info.
Thanks..Tim

Offline cjm

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »
Is the door closed?  Some transits set the parking brake when the door is open.  HTH, John

Offline n4rsn

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 01:21:27 PM »
I hate to sound stupid, but here goes.       Have you tried to shut the door?   Possiably it has a door closed safty, as it was a commerical bus.
Just a thought
Steve

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 02:09:18 PM »
Look for a gizmo on the back of the transmission/driveshaft area.  What you are describing is the function that interlocks with the leveling system.   It can be disconnected and the regular park brake my still work...depending on the chassis.
Make sure that all the leveling jacks are retracted and folded all the way up.   If the coach doens't have hydraulic leveling system....disregard this post!  ???
Good Luck, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Timkar

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 02:41:02 PM »
Yes the door is shut..We thought of that, but it didn't seems to help. The regular emergency brake is in place and there is pressure when you push on it and another indicator comes on stating emerg brake on. No levelling system on this unit.
Thanks again guys for the responses. I don't consider any of them stupid and am just thankful for the support.
Regards...Tim

Offline Hartley

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »
Drivers Seat Belt Interlock?

I know that sounds dumb, But you never know...

There must be instructions somewhere...

Or, Maybe the coach doesn't operate and that's why it was sold....

If it has the Japanese 4spd O/D Transmissions like the Jatco or Aisin like my Isuzu NPR has
the repair bill for rebuild is about $5,000 to reman them. They are computer controlled
and many sensors on the engine and tranny that will disable them in a heartbeat....
Been There Done That . ( recently Too! )...

If it has the 175 Hp Isuzu Diesel ( 4HE1 ) 4-cyl it most likely has the AISIN transmission. GM/Isuzu started
using allisons at the 6 cylinder equipped chassis.

If it has the Isuzu ( 4BD1T ) 125 hp it will have a Jatco transmission. My NPR has that and I get 18 mpg
with a 10 foot box.
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal