Author Topic: Wire gutting  (Read 2375 times)

Offline frontman

• Frontman
    • Big Back Yard
Wire gutting
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »
I am taking the wiring out of the front of my bus today and I was wondering if I needed to leave anything hooked up in front if I still want to move the old gal around the yard. 
Chad

Offline NJT 5573

Re: Wire gutting
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »
Can't tell what year it is, but if it has an ATEC transmission the computer is in the front on mine.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline Van

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:24:30 PM »
Chad document every thing before you start ,Pics diagrams,then mark every connection (at the front panel and the dash)with tags,tape you get the idea. This will simplify the reassembly,and also help if doing any Mods or add ons before you hook it all back up.good luck

Was this in preporation for the new dash?

van 8)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »
Chad, Do like Van said, mark, take lots of pictures and make diagrams. If you have the shcematic and know you are not going to use certain wires, mark them anyway, you never know. Besides they might make great spares. Check for continuity on all spares to make sure they work before closing them up. Did I say identify all wires!!!!! ;) This is a great time to learn what you have, what works and what you will need.

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »
Chad, need to watch gutting the wiring on a 15 it has some complicated wiring like the 400 hertz for dash lighting do it one wire at a time because 90% of those will run back to the rear panel.
I have rewired one and it is something you don't do in a few days its more like weeks.
I have 3 different schematics on the 15 and was told I needed 2 more the wiring changed with the year models and serial numbers

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 03:49:03 PM »
I recently rewired the lights on the rear of my Dina.  Some of the original wires had circuit number labels on them.  I bought a heat shrink labeler along with two label cartridges and labeled everything.  The setup cost about $120 and I still have a fair bit of heat shrink tape left.

If something goes wrong I can look at the wiring schematics for the bus and know what wire I am dealing with.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Skykingrob

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:52:17 PM »
Chad
I am not an Eagle owner but when I raised my Prevost, I cut it above the front master panel and below the dash. That was 135 wires that had to be cut, mark both ends then tie in a 12" length to make sure the wires were long enough.
I went to O'Reillys. The can order number stickers that you can buy for $20, then purchase, like Belfert, clear shrink wrap. When I cut the wires, I did so about 6" from the master panel, marked both ends with numbered stickers that then got clear shrink wrap shrunk over each end. I left the end attached to the master panel so there was no confusion about that end, all I had to do was splice the wire in to match each numbered end. As Luvrbus says, this isn't a quick process. I have kept a sketchy man-hour log on each separate process in the conversion and my notes show that this process was about 42 man-hours for my bus. May be more or less for you based on a number of factors ( how quick with cutters, method of marking wires, etc) but very doable in a number of ways. Needless to say, you just need to be careful, not rushing the process.

Good Luck with your "project"

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage XL
Missouri

Offline belfert

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »
The labeler I bought actually prints right on the heat shrink.  The heat shrink is yellow.  They also make sheets of heat shrink labels that go in laser printers, but the minimum quantity was like 1,000 labels for over $200.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal