Author Topic: euro style mirrors  (Read 13992 times)

Offline ruthi

Re: euro style mirrors
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »
Euro mirrors hang down rather than attach on the sides.
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline ruthi

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 07:20:40 PM »
John, a picture and more info would be great, thanks

Offline ruthi

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 07:27:22 PM »
Dan, yes that is the kind of mirrors we have been looking at, but, cant speak the language, so it is hard to get info,lol. I will see if i can find info as to where to look at volvo for them.

Offline gus

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 08:02:29 PM »
Hang down from what?

My 4104 left side mirror hangs down from the top upper corner near the windshield. Does this qualify for euro-mirror status?
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »
Ruthi, Prevost sell the parts for Volvo I think the Volvo 9700 mirrors will work for you but I am not up on where Dina mount their mirrors MCI may be your best bet to save a lot of fab work   

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 06:02:55 AM »
The mounting points for mirrors on the Dina are on the sides as far forward as possible just behind the front pillar.  The mirror mounts are far different than most buses.  The mirrors are much more functional than good looking.  No nice polished mirrors on a Dina.

On the curb side it is very difficult to install a roof mount mirror as there is no place to mount it unless the OEM door is replaced.  The OEM door goes basically all the way to the roof line.  There is only a two or three inch pillar between the door and the windshield.  I installed a roof mount type mirror after I installed a new door, but it doesn't work all that well.  A Dina curves way back in the front for a European style look, but it makes a roof mount mirror hard to do.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 06:18:38 AM »
The mirrors on mine, and I think most coaches, do mount directly to that 2-3" wide windscreen pillar. It's a strong area of the structure that all buses have, so no reason to complicate things I'd have thought.

Mind you, there are always alternative ways of doing it:

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline belfert

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 06:22:52 AM »
The mirrors on mine, and I think most coaches, do mount directly to that 2-3" wide windscreen pillar. It's a strong area of the structure that all buses have, so no reason to complicate things I'd have thought.

The original mirrors are mounted on the windshield pillar.  The problem is the pillar is at an angle and most replacement mirrors expect to bo mounted vertically and the pillar isn't wide enough for that.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline ruthi

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 06:54:55 AM »
We raised the roof on ours 10 inches, so, I dont think space will be a problem. The mirrors on our gmc mount on the side, and we have bumped our heads a few times. Also, as some of you know, we work out of ours, and we will prob. retire with the new one. So, we want the mirrors to be in the best spot, and it is a plus if they look nice too. ;D

Offline belfert

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 07:00:15 AM »
We raised the roof on ours 10 inches, so, I dont think space will be a problem. The mirrors on our gmc mount on the side, and we have bumped our heads a few times. Also, as some of you know, we work out of ours, and we will prob. retire with the new one. So, we want the mirrors to be in the best spot, and it is a plus if they look nice too. ;D

My understanding is you didn't raise the front so that won't help the mirror issue.  Didn't you start the raise behind the driver's area so the bus kinda looks like a 4905 now?

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 07:57:26 AM »
Ruthi, the 9700 Volvo has mirrors mounted on the pillars of the windshield take a look at BCI Falcon also they may work for you as they have a side mount

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline ruthi

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 01:48:40 PM »
It is fiberglassed on a slope, so it doesnt look like a buffalo. Thanks to all of you for your help. We will let you know which way we go.

Offline belfert

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 04:27:58 PM »
I didn't mean it looked exactly like a Buffalo, but it is similiar in that it isn't raised at the front.  Your roof raise probably won't help with mirrors since the roof is not raised all the way to the front.

Offline crown

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 10:30:18 AM »
 hi ruthi  went by the shop that made them no longer there
 but just saw these on e bay no reserve brand new $ 199  # 200390225351
 euro bus mirrors good luck hope this helps john
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline BG6

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 11:49:42 AM »
Does anyone have any info on this style mirrors. We need to purchase some for the conversion we are doing on our Dina. I know they arent cheap, but, good mirrors are important. Does anyone else have these and if so, where did you purchase them, and what was the price?

If you mean the ones that are mounted near the roofline, I would note that the coaches that they are mounted on were designed for that type of mirror, with hardpoints on the pillars where they mount.

If your coach doesn't have these hardpoints, I would stay with the ones which are mounted in the normal position.  There is a lot of energy transmitted to and from the coach and mirrors, due to their weight and the fact that they are cantilevered out from the mounts -- every vibration, bump and gust of wind stresses the system.  Kludging a pillar mount can be done, but I would expect windshield leaks at the least, with the possibility of actually cracking the windshields.

This is why only a few coach models use them, while everyone else stays with the low-mounts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal