Author Topic: best gens  (Read 11310 times)

Offline ruthi

best gens
« on: September 21, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »
okay, I know I am probably opening up a keg of worms here, but, what is the best, generator? We need a 10k, and a quite one. The one we have now is a powertech. The first one we started out with was powertech, and worked good for many yrs. But, the one we have now, has been a pain since the beginning. Maybe it was a lemon, dont know. We run one 24/7 when we are on the road working. We service it regularly. Just wanted to get some opinions, as we are considering just going ahead and getting a new one. ???
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline WEC4104

Re: best gens
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 06:56:50 PM »
Asking for a "best generator" recommendation is a little like asking for a recommendation for the "best car". It very much depends on your specific needs.   Your comments about needing a 10K unit to run 24/7 is a very good start. But let's see if we can flush this out with a little bit more info...

Can you give us any idea on the number of generator run hours you expect to rack up annually?

What can you tell us about the previous two PowerTech units? You sounded pleased with the first one, what happened to that one?   For the second one that had problems, was it purchased new or used?   What types of problems?

Can we assume that you are asking us to limit our discussion to brand new diesel powered units?
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »
Ruthi, I would stop at a RSC rental center and let those guys look at the unit they have some sharp guys on generators and have locations about anywhere in the USA 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline ruthi

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 07:06:47 PM »
First one, we wore out pretty much. Second one we bought from Power tech, used, but not many hrs on it, was used as a demonstraor of some sort. Yes, we will be looking for new. We are on the road the biggest part of the time.We try to get one week a month off. Other than that, we have off a couple of months at the end of the yr. So, as you can see, it is used a lot. So, it will get a lot of hrs on it, but, as I said we do take care of them. We were thinking of going with a quiet onan. Does that help. I know that no one can tell us what we should get, just thought some of you might have some experience, and, or, insight.

Offline ruthi

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:08:53 PM »
What does RSC stand for? Is that the way I would look them up? We are in Williamsburg va tonight, Richmond tomorrow.

Offline ruthi

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:12:02 PM »
Found them, there is one in Richmond. Will give them a call first thing in the morning. Thanks

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 07:34:38 PM »
I have never owned a diesel generator, so I am going strictly off of discussions held on this board (and others) for the last 5 - 10 years.   I don't know of too many folks that would step away from owning Powertech units in favor of the Onan Quiet Diesel units.

The Onan diesels do have a better reputation than their gasoline units.

I'd do a little research on this board using the company name "Wrico".  Dick Wright's company is frequently referenced for quality generator work.
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 07:43:42 PM »
Wec4104, most Powertech products are good but for whatever the reason the 10kw unit has a lot of problems.
I would buy a 10kw Onan over the 10kw Powertech and I don't like Onan

good luck

Offline ruthi

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 08:00:18 PM »
Are onan gens belt driven? Also, a correction, it is the injector pump that powertech said was going out on ours. They said we have to buy another one 1000.00 plus. Dont understand why it cant just be fixed.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 08:11:33 PM »
Ruthi, Onan is not belt driven they don't give much trouble it is just when they do parts are expensive but one good thing they have service centers all across the USA at Cummins and RV dealers that may work best for you. 

good luck

Offline ruthi

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:59:51 PM »
I was noticing that. That would be a plus for us. Power tech service is a lot harder to come by.

Offline TomC

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 10:49:19 PM »
Up and beyond the Onans and Kohlers that have their own servicing network, Powertech, or Wrico or any other gens are basically a small Diesel engine coupled to a generator of some sort.  I have a 10kw Powertech, albeit an older version-which I believe to be one of the good ones they built since I haven't had any problems with it. Course, I only have about 1200 hours on it (which is like 48,000miles).  My truck conversion, I'm going with the Wrico 13kw with heavy duty alternator.  Dick Wright offers a compact alternator, but favors the heavy duty with more copper windings.  Unless you go with an Onan (a very big and expensive mistake-their "quiet Diesels" are not that quiet) or Kohler, you're going to be pretty much on your own to get servicing done on your independently made generator.  Just make sure all components used are universal type-easily obtainable at most any truck or auto parts store.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 05:16:57 AM »
Ruthi,
   Is your Powertech the new style with a circuit board to control the start sequence (you simply push and release the start switch and the circuit board intiates the preheat and fuel pump them activates the starter)? or do you have the "Simple" style (you hold the switch in the stop position to preheat then hold in the start position to activate the starter)? We have the "simple" style and the only problem we have had is a loose wire on the start switch. I have worked on a friends new style and he has had several electrical problems.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 05:33:59 AM »
Jack, they also have a bearing problem in the generator head .
The folks I know that have the 10kw Powertech carry a spare bearing with them at all times and I have helped change a few one at 153 hrs.   

good luck

Offline johns4104s

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 05:50:26 AM »
Ruthi,

We are doing lots of traveling now and the life of the gen set(powertech) has been in my mind. How many hours do you have on your present one? How often do you change the oil?

Thanks

John

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal