Author Topic: Windshield Gasket  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Slide

Windshield Gasket
« on: October 03, 2009, 01:21:10 PM »
I have an 05 Eagle that leaks around the windshield,Is there a rubber seal that has a wider lip an the outside. The seal I have barely covers the edge of the cap around the windshield. I would depreciate any advice on stopping the leaks. Also has anyone had any luck pressurizing their bus to check for leaks on the outside using soapy water and how did you do it?

Offline luvrbus

Re: Windshield Gasket
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 01:51:24 PM »
Slide, look at the bottom of the windshields if your rubber is touching the breast plate and as a lip laying flat on it about 1/4 inch it is time to call Ed at Jefferson for new gaskets and locks.
I stop this by adding spacers at the bottom of the windshields tile spacers work good for that.
The weight of the windshields will cause this over a period of time then the leaks start with Eagle gaskets they should not be touching the breast plate where the slope is on the bottom.
And when you have the windshields out check the cap for square by measuring the cut out.  
 Not a big deal to square the cap back to OEM specs if the cap was installed right.
 A lot of us use the model 15 seal it is wider 1-5/8  and the 05 is 1-1/4 also you have to cut 14 inches from the seal of the model 15 seals to fit the 05 most glass shops can do it for you

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »
To add to Cliffords post, he gives accurate information. Call Jefferson at 800-813-9367, Norris retired, so talk with Ed like Clifford suggested. I have purchased the same gasket from them and it worked out great, price is fantastic and shipping is fast.

I also sent you a PM,

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 06:08:01 AM »
So Norris retired huh? Well I suppose he deserved it. And Ed is quite capable too. Just don't ask what he is capable of! LOL! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Slide

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 04:29:17 PM »
Thanks for the input. When cutting 14 inches out of the seal how do you join the ends together? I'm sure going to miss Norris.

Offline Ob1quixote

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 04:57:52 PM »
I installed auto glass for 15 years, we always used a shot of automotive urethane adhesive and dressed it with a single edge razor blade. You could get by with some black RTV.

After installing the glass, put some masking tape on the body at the joint. Where the ends meet, pull the glass side corners back a little, shoot some in there on each side. Fill any gaps in the outside face and dress with a razor blade.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 05:15:21 PM »
Slide, the guy that does mine uses a thermo press kinda like vulcanizing a tire but he also told me adhesive would work that is the way he did it for years.
I guess the glass Co's buy the stuff in rolls and make their own seals for windshields that still use a gasket.
Jefferson has his seals made but I forgot where but I bet it is close to his shop in OKC and FWIW Norris is the one that told me several years ago about using the Model 15 gasket on a 05 that the cap was tweaked a little.

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal