Author Topic: Bus running at 195 degrees at 65mph on a 100+ degree day, Normal?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
Just want a quick bit of feedback....

This past weekend coming across South Dakota it was about 106 degrees outside with a 15-25mph perpendicular side wind.  I was running at about 195-200 on the dash guage and immediately upon stopping the engine guage read about 185.

I was towing my Jeep Cherokee and had the engine bay doors propped open with bungee cords.

From everyone else's experience on hot days does this seem okay?

Thanks in advance!

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Bus running at 195 degrees at 65mph on a 100+ degree day, Normal?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 10:31:17 AM »
That's about what mine was doing across both SD and NE at the end of May when it was about 100 outside. I was down to about 60 mph to keep the temp from going over 210 on the gauge. I think my gauge reads a bit high, but can't really tell because by the time I get stopped and back there with the thermo gun, it's already dropped considerably.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Dave Siegel

• Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!
    • Dave Siegel Designs
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:36:33 AM »
Our 671 Detroit runs about that temperature here in South Florida with outside temps about the same and my speed is about 60-63. It worries me to see temps like that, so I was thinking about putting in a mist system when we plan to travel west. Think that's a good idea?

Dave Siegel  1948 Silversides
Naples, Florida
Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
            Pinellas Park, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »
Hi Dave,
I plan to put in a mist system this fall, but don't know how much difference it will end up making.   Others who have posted on the board mention they love having it.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 12:08:52 PM »
Brian,

I just came back from a two week trip and also noticed the bus running 5-10 degrees hotter depending on

the grades and heat of the day.  When i stopped at a rest area to walk the dog or me it would go right back to 185 fast.

I suspect that this is normal as it stuck closer to 185 in the fall and spring on the same roads.

FWIW

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline busboy

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 01:50:54 PM »
You guys have probably read my saga...it's been 80-95 outside temps and my bus runs 195 to just under 200 on the flats.  I turn off my generator which is plumbed into the bus radiator and I have the misters running.  Of course my radiator is not in very good shape...we are replacing it next week. 

Brian/Dave,
I had a time finding the right parts to plumb the mister system with.  I used copper(expensive) for the tubing...I was told that everything but CPVC would not stand up to the heat...of course my routing will probably be different than yours...I had a water line in a half bath in front of the engine bay so I routed my pipe thru the engine bay.  I got some brass mister fittings at Home Depot that have a compression fitting on both ends for 3/8" copper.  The also sell an end cap.  These misters use .5 gallon/hour/nozzle...I am using 5 nozzles.  I have a simple shutoff valve in the half bath that I can send one of the kids back to turn on.  I also used some poly tubing to keep the copper from rubbing and used tie-wraps to hold everything down.  The system operates off the 12 shurflo pump that pressurizes the rest of the coach water system.  The one thing I would add it a filter, as I have had to clean the nozzles and the radiator occasionally.  Some folks have told me that the mister system will encourage dirt buidup in the radiator.  Hopefully I won't have to use the misters after next week.
Happy Trails,
Brent

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 02:10:18 PM »
I'm up in Durango CO right now and had to run the mister all over the passes.  The 6v92 ran 200 until over the passes.  Wolf Creek, Monarch, Raton, etc.  It was 100 degrees in a few places.  2 years of messing with my radiator and cooling system and still no improvement. 

David

Offline LUKE at US COACH

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 04:05:09 PM »
Hi Folks:

If you watch the weather channel, right now the enire country is Roasting!!!!!

Any coach operating at 190 to 200 degrees in this weather is doing O.K.

For example, most MCI's are equipped with Alarmastats that will shut the engine down at 210 degrees.  Water boils at 220, so that MCI engineers at least have allowed a 10 degree buffer in their cooling systems.

The key is, if you back off the throttle and the temp. goes down, then all is well!!!!!

I hope this HELPS!!

Happy and SAFE!!! Bussin' to All.

LUKE at US COACH

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »
Thanks Luke and everyone else.  I am happy that my bus is running exactly as it should and I don't really have any problems currently to worry about.

Offline Mike in GA

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 02:51:57 PM »
One of the DD gurus in the SE Bus Nuts, the venerable Ray Cox, was quoted saying that in summer you can expect your two-stroke to operate at 100 degrees above the ambient temperature. He also said that diesel fuel combusts best, most efficiently, at 197 degrees, for what it's worth.
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal