Author Topic: Another day, Another day!  (Read 10197 times)

Offline steamguy56

Re: Another day, Another day!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 12:16:50 PM »
After 25 years of running this junkyard mass confusion, stresssss... I'm starting to phase myself out. Yesterday was the first day off, thought would do 1 day a week for awhile. More latter. So what do you think I did...WORKED ON THE BUS.. it was a good day

Danny

Offline Happycampersrus

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 12:58:06 PM »
Ace,

Man don't beat yourself up over Pepper. If I was in his fur I wouldn't want to suffer either. I only wish we were as kind and understanding to each other. We treat our animals better than we treat each other, but that's a good thing. I am 100% sure Pepper knows how much you loved him and I am sure he knows why it had to be done. Does it hurt any less? No. and I am sure you didn't want to see him suffer and wanting to hang on to him just one more day would have been priceless to you, But would have put him through more pain. I know it's not much consulation, but that was a good long life for him. I'm sure that you have so many great stories and memories.

I have a Jack Russell that I have a couple grand invested in vet bills and when it comes time I hope I can have as much compassion (As you shown for Pepper) to let her go. I believe you did the right thing Ace.

Dale

Moof

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 01:06:36 PM »
I've got 4 years, 10 months and 10 days till I retire.  I'm looking to relocate, but where?  Want to be closer to the grandkids.   I've lived in Alaska for nearly 25 years.  It's great.  Get's chilly from time to time, but not too bad.  The summers are great.  So come on up and have a blast.  There's plenty of room to park those 40 footers.

Dave

Offline Merlin

• Run away before the kids come back home.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 02:36:22 PM »
For those of you retiring soon, or already retired ... have you considered full-time travel?  Sell all real estate and just motor around the country with the good weather.  No need to go fast.  No need to put up with surly neighbors (for very long at least). Maybe you can even do a little work along the way to make you feel useful and productive.

I'm saying this because that has been our decision ... hit the road ... shake off the past, and live a little before we shrivel up and die.

Working toward that goal has invigorated us like I can't describe.  Prior to making this life-change decision we were in a rut.  DEEP rut. Both working our tails off, and for what?  Money?  Maybe, but after the kids were raised and finished with college, earning large salaries was not as important.  We've watched three of our parents fade away after working themselves into weakened conditions.  They didn't allow themselves the luxury of enjoying life.  Lesson taught and lesson learned for us. 

The faster we finish the bus the better off we will be.  Already I'm feeling the curse of old age that tends to slow me down.  Gotta git-er-done ..... fast, before my old bod gives up. Doctor diagnosed me with high blood pressure just before I retired.  Asked me do I have any stress in life.  HA .... after I sat there relating all the difficulties I've encountered, and windmills that I've kicked over ... he said NOW he was stressed.

Update on story after we retired:  the stress went away and so did my high blood pressure.  Don't get me wrong, we still work hard, but it is now on the bus and getting ready to sell the real estate.  Every morning we pop out of bed with vigor, knowing that what we do that day will bring us closer to hitting the highway.  We are doing it all with no outside help.  Heck we don't even know the neighbors after living here 35 years.  Family is all gone.  Guess it will be ... last one to leave, please turn out the lights.

See you all on the road.  We will be the retired couple in a bus ... coming to a park near you.

Merlin & Cyndy
Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.

Offline Devin & Amy

• FMCA#377731
  • 1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 04:07:42 PM »
Ace,

I didn't pull the plug. I let her go another year. Wish I had'nt now. Maybe selfish in hindsight who knows. Anyway I let a reasonable/respectful amount of time go by. in my case 3 months. I got another different kind of dog, I didn't want to crowd my memory. i think I made the right decision. You have to make your own about when you get another friend. You will in your own time.
Grief is a healthy emotion, if anything it should put us back in touch with why and how we got so attached.

Luck

Devin
Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!

Moof

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 04:26:59 PM »
Merlin,

Your comments on full timing sound like a great idea for a post to me.  My wife and I intend to do the very same thing.  I'd love to hear others ideas for the future, and experiences from the past.

Dave T.

Offline bruceknee

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 05:10:01 PM »
Maybe the Vet not trying  to stop you tells a clear message.
I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.

Offline mandolinplucker

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 09:56:41 PM »
I had a Great Dane-best pet I ever had- He was hurting with arthritis. He would get a cortizone shot and play like a puppy for a few days and then cry when he had to move when the meds wore off. I held him in my arms while the vet injected him. He took three breaths and laid his head on my arm and was gone. It was an act of love to not make him hurt any longer. I know just what you need. I have a 1966 Gibson B25 guitar. That old thing has gotten me through deaths of dogs, cats, my mother, my brother, two divorces, and many other trials and tribulations. Just grab it and go to the porch and play a few sad songs and have a good cry and work into some happy ones. After a while things don't look so bad. That's what works for me. Just do what brings you joy and you will perk right up. Take Care. Tony Bare

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 07:30:10 AM »
Ace,

I had a Labrador Retriever, Tramp, when I was a kid.  I loved that dog like family.  All my friends loved that dog.  He was such an important part of my life that when he got sick, I felt my world coming apart. 

I grew up in a very abusive home.  My father is a paranoid schizophrenic and used to have "episodes" of intense violence.  I have a bullet-hole in my leg to prove it.  My mother divorced him when I was 7 and for a while we lived on welfare in a housing project.  I don't want to bore you with details, but that dog was a constant in my life. 

He developed allergies to fleas.  We tried to keep them off him, but when one would bite him, the hair would "rot" off in that spot.  It was bad.  Finally, after spending much money my mother didn't have, he just quietly died one night.  I found him the next morning.  I was devastated.  I was 15 years old and have NEVER owned a dog since then (although I have had a couple of cats, the last one was about 16 years old and he left the day before Hurricane Katrina, and never returned).  Now I'm thinking about getting a dog for my son.  Hope to have better luck. 

Here's my opinion.  Every animal shelter has dogs that are starving for affection.  Sounds like any dog that lived with you and Susan would be treated like a king.  Why not take a chance on a dog that nobody else wanted.  You may find out that loving another dog is the best therapy around.  Now, I need to go out and practice what I preach!  You remember that old Tom T. Hall song, "Old dogs and children...and watermelon wine".

Jimmy
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal