Author Topic: Double coin tires  (Read 14756 times)

Offline wal1809

Double coin tires
« on: October 26, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »
ALright we were headed out Friday to go to the lake and I saw a crack in the sidewall of the driver's side tire wall.  I went to the tire store and got an education on tires and tire prices.  I plan on doing replacing all 8 tires he in the near future so I opted for the cheaper doubel coin tire for now.

It seemed to perform very well so far as handling on the road, rolling smooth ect.  It was $200 cheaper than the Michelin and other brands.  I did a search on here but found no mention of the Double Coin tires.  How about we have an opinion exchange on Double Coin.  My bro In law says he does not like them at all and says they are cheap.  However when asked for an example he was not able to provide good info to teach me anything.  "Because they are cheap" does not create a point to debate in my book.

So Double Coin.  Lets hear it.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Double coin tires
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »
Well, they are chinese made tires, imported by China Manufacturing Alliance, who have been in business in the US since 1992, a quick google showed no obvious threads where they failed and killed people or anything like that, the warranty is pro-rated by tread remaining for 5 years, no road hazard, just manufacturing defect.  They seem to be what they seem to be - a cheap, Chinese made imported tire.  They are probably just fine for your use, which is presumably lightly loaded for the tire rating, and very low projected mileage over the life of the tire.  Save $200 a tire times 8, I'd probably buy them in a heartbeat!  so you replace them in 6 years instead of 8, who know what you'll be doing in 6 or 8 years?

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 11:41:40 AM »
Wayne,
They are in fact a Chinese tire.
I have had a bad experience with one. But I really think it was more due to a lazy mechanic, than the tire itself! (an 11R22.5 not a 12R or 315/80R22.5 that most of us use)

The tire had looked low to me on a post trip inspection, so I asked our mechanic (past mechanic, not present) to check them all! He told me "I just checked them before you went out because that driver side tag looked low!"
So I asked was it? "No just looks like it!" he said. 
Well several days later my dad saw it and insisted that I check it!, even though we'd been told it was fine!
So I checked it and low and behold it only had 38 lbs in it!
When I asked the mechanic about it he said "No I didn't check it, we don't have a tire gauge that will work on those rims with the small hole!" I told him that was BS, I'd just checked it.
I also picked up the phone and called NAPA and ordered a new gauge for every bus, so that excuse would not be used again!
That fact is the mechanic didn't want to do it, maybe because he had to "work" at it.

Bottom line is I know of several truckers that have been using them for several yrs with no complaints!
Also in  your favor is the fact that most all the Eagles I have seen run 11R24.5 tires instead of 12R22.5 or 315/80R 22.5 as most model buses run! Last time I checked these sizes weren't available in a Double-Coin. (I myself am a little reluctant to run them as we haul passengers for a living, which means we're only one accident away from being out of business!)
FWIW ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline wal1809

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 02:57:39 PM »
I have the 24.5 and they are pretty high all the way around.  I got a price range up to $650 for a Michelin.  $375 for a Double Coin looked pretty good.  I don't like buying Chinese though.  I have to choose the pocket book or political stance.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »
Wal,

I can identify with that. :( :-[
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 03:05:13 PM »
Let us know, which way you go.  I don't like buying Chinese either,, however,,,,,,,,,,,

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 05:07:40 PM »
Once again-tires are alot more then just big round rubber things that hold air and support the weight of your bus.  I can say that probably the Chinese tires will hold up the bus.  But-how will it perform in hot weather, in cold slippery snowy or icy conditions, or what kind of traction will they have both for acceleration and especially for braking?  When you consider that braking distance-that a mear 5 ft difference in braking distance can make or break your bus with massive amount of damage.  Personally-I know that Michelin has spent countless hours and massive amounts of money to test and retest their tires in real life situations to make sure they perform to the maximum of their capability.  Do you think the Chinese tire manufacturers do this? Do you think the Chinese tire manufacturers even care if your getting good traction or not-no they just want you to buy their tires-that's why they cost so little.  Also, fuel mileage and tire design go hand in hand.  Do yourselves a favor-don't buy the cheapest tire out there-buy the best tire for your application.  This is why Michelin makes over 40 models of tires just for on and on/off road trucks and buses.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

cody

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »
I've never seen a Michelin tire that I'd bother crossing the street to take a second look at, I had a set of 4 on a 69 merc montego that 3 failed  within 5000 miles of buying, all 3 were replaced and those also failed, I wouldn't look at them again for years until I bought a 1976 ford bronco that had a new set on it, 2 of the 4 failed and were replaced with 2 that ultimately failed, so I gave up on them until I bought a 93 jeep grand cherokee with them, again 3 of the 4 failed, I think they are over priced for the second rate tires they are.  Each time I went to other tires and got good service, I'll never bother with michelins anymore.  Some people swear by them but I really don't know why, in this area you can't give them away.  I've had excellent luck with bridgestone and yokohama tires tho and some goodyears.

Online luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 06:17:22 PM »
 TomC, are you trying to tell us Michelin doesn't manufacture tires in China this is the same bs as when the Japan tires came on the market in the 70's  why spend twice the money for a tire that cracks faster than any tire on the market.
 I will agree with Cody on this one I never had any luck with Michelins over the years
Cole didn't buy many Frieghtliners (none now he owns a KW dealership)   but when he did he paid extra to have Bridgestones put on the new truck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 01:47:06 AM »
All good info, My $0.02 is that on cars and vans, I have never been disappointed with Michelins. Still running on my '99 & '83 MB cars.
I will never get the mileage out of any tires for the bus before 10 years.
I have looked at Michelins/Coopers for steers/drives @ about $2,200 (no tag axle) then looked at Bridgestones, but have a quote for install, disposal, taxes and balancing beads in (6) 11R24.5 Firestone FS590's for $2,000.
Anyone with a story about the Firestone 590's road noise, poor steer, breaking of the decoupling groove ? ? ? ?
My driving is about 5K /yr, mostly interstates.
Thanks, sorry to kinda hi-jack, but related.
Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

Offline wayne

• 1990 Setra 215 HDH
  • www.mybusgarage.com
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 01:49:06 AM »
I have run Michelin, Bridgestone and the imports when I had over the road trucks and the imports definetly fell behind. No matter what tire you inquire about there will always be a story about how they failed and "I'll never buy'em again". There's enough real world statistics out there to show how good Michelins are including trueness, fuel mileage, balancing, and life expectancy. I think they are extremely overpriced and wont buy them but personally know people with fleet statistics that can show why they are cost effective in high mileage fleet applications.
My new wheels and tires just came in, I ordered the 315/80/ 22.5 (stock size) and really did'nt have many brand options. The Michelin was just crazy money (Bridgestone was within $20.00) so I asked for anything in a major brand name and eneded up with Firestone for half the price- I just found out Firestone is made in the Far East but I have had great luck with them in the past. It does make sense to save money on your tires but remember who's traveling on them tires. Like Bryce said, All it takes is one accident.

Offline Alan Baker

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:18:24 AM »
My bus is an '84 model 10. I did a similar thing and bought two Chinese tires for the steers and paid about the same as the double coins.
On further inspection we decided that it was time to bite the bullet and get rid of the remaining 6 tires. These were approaching 9 yrs old and were loaded with dry rot cracks.
My research brought me to Firestone's, made in Nashville, TN. They have a wonderful guarantee program as the tires are expected to go as much as a million miles with recapping. 
The 6 tires installed actually cost me slightly less than the Chinese copies. I have run them several thousand miles and so far love them as much as you can love a tire. They seem to be very smooth and round. I wish I could say they've kicked my fuel millage up but they haven't done that. I have a 6v92 TA that has returned right at 7mpg for the almost 10 years I've owned this bus.
The Chinese imposter's? They're on the boggies. probably the only new tires that have been on the boggies since the bus was built.
Good luck
Alan
Alan Baker
Lake Placid, FL
61 PD4106-00038 for 23 yrs
84 Eagle-10 10" roof raise
6V92 turbo 90 injectors Allison 740
since 2000
Every ride is a new adventure

Offline loosenut

• Confidently Ignorant
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:43 AM »
I replaced 27 year old Michelins with Bridgestones.  Couldn't afford Michelin's price in San Diego, $645.00 per tire was the cheapest quote.

Went to a Bridgestone store and they first put on Chinese tires not the Bridgestone tires I thought I ordered.  The ride went from dream to terrible.  I went to an alignment store and they couldn't balance or align because the tires were so far out of latitudinal and longitudinal round. 

Finally got the Bridgestones installed and back to riding like a dream.  Don't know about fuel mileage, sidewall toughness, stopping distance etc. I only know that the ride is wonderful.

Mike
Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless

Offline Ed Brenner

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
 Just replaced all 8 tires on the Eagle hated to didn't have any miles but dad had put them on
ten years ago. A couple are almost 12 years by date code, so I guess they were sitting around.
No cracks still look good , but I don't want no blowout.

What I took off was Kumo's. What I put back was Kumo's 11r24.5 KRS02 16 ply  $284.84

mounted the new tires on a set of accuride alum. wheels, that I think I stole from a Busnut.( needed a lot of elbow grease to polish).

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!

Offline kwood

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 07:18:40 PM »
The company I work for tried the double coins on our fuel tankers for a year.   They wore quickly, not getting anywhere near the mileage that Michelins did.  Also, they tend to pick up more debris causing flats or low tires than Michelins.  In any case, we were not impressed.

Kevin

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal