Author Topic: AHHHH!!! 1000 miles @ 50mph...and no hill climbing power....HELP!  (Read 6886 times)

Offline Don4107

Re: AHHHH!!! 1000 miles @ 50mph...and no hill climbing power....HELP!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 09:44:35 AM »
Does it have a boost pressure gauge?  If so what is it running when pulling hard? Does not take much leakage to cause problems.

Good luck
Don 4107
Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 03:16:27 PM »
If it had a clogged air filter I think the indication is "black" smoke.  You need a filter minder so you can change the element only when it needs to be change and not at some interval which might be to long or to short.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 06:06:15 AM »
If it had a clogged air filter I think the indication is "black" smoke. 
John

John,
    I agree, black smoke is incompolete combustion and you get incomplete combustion if there is not enough oxygen (air) present. 
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »
And another thing! 

I was recently working on my old Winnie carb.  Had the air cleaner of and was setting the idle mix.  Got it puring and throbbing nicely and then reinstalled the air cleaner.  When I put the "lid" on the air cleaner my idle dropped a good 150 RPM.  DRAT!  Ever seen one of those "lifetime" cleanable air filters in the parts store on display?  $40 for the one for my 440CID.  It gets washed and oiled to keep it fresh and the air flowing.  I never washed this thing and i had only a hundred miles on it over a couple years time.  I held it up to the light and it had hundreds of small holes in it that i could see thru.  The rest seemed opaque.  If you have one of these "premium" puppies I suggest you look it over closely and do the idle test.

I over filled my oil bath filter once.  And only once.  They become very restrictive when over filled. I learned that the hard way.  Good thing I way overfilled it cause if it had only been slightly overfilled it might have slipped past me and I could have been troubleshoot my lost MPG and HP to the tune of hundreds of dollars till I "discovered"  the problem....I injected.  Oh, well!  Too soon old.

Good luck,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Eric

• Currently in Northeast Ohio
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »
sorry no net right now.....I replaced both fuel filters and put a new air filter in literally 2 days prior to our trip....we don't have a boost gauge for pressure the the stop solnoid actually "jammed on the trip so i removed it and just ran back and shut off the rail for our trip....it's now back on but nothing has improved as far as any giddyup! As far as "turning it up " i would love too but i have no clue the required proccess to do so! all the ideas are appreciated!!! Running the rail sounds good but nobody so far in Northeast ohio is willing to even touch this thing!

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 12:33:41 AM »
EK,

I keep coming back to "no fuel".  The clue is that you get no black smoke when you floor her.  Even the best of them smoke if they are in tune.  I would think that you must be starving to get zero smoke.  I installed filters at my tank before the electric aux pump.

If you have bad fuel you might be plugging the filter as soon as you install it.

If your fuel is contaminated with gasoline, just a little, I think it runs poorly.  A friend got a load of gas and he barely limped home with a powerless engine.  Easy test....take of the fuel filler cap and give it a sniff.  It should not even remind you of gas.  Lots of gas and it won't run.  Might be the attendant or the service station tank????

To eliminate anything from the filters back one guy rigged a can of D fuel up to the input of the filters and took the bus for a test ride.  He found that the performance was exceptional and then knew where to look for the problem.  I think he found that the tank outlet was plugged at the fitting.  Always acted like a plugged filter.

Good luck with this.  I know how deeply frustrating this must be when you have run out of things to check.  If it was running well in the recent past I think that would eliminate the rack as the cause.  Me thinks they go down hill gracefully for the most part.

John
—Pla

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 03:44:22 AM »
Another Idea...

Years ago, my dad had a simular problem in his 4104.

It turned out to be a collapsing Fuel Line.... He replaced the supply line from the tank, to the engine compartment

and sure enough, the problem resolved. After closer inspection of the rubber line, it had collapsed where the line

traveled through the bulkhead.

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline gus

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 07:07:31 PM »
I cleaned my primary fuel filter and replaced the secondary 8,000 mi ago.

Much to my surprise the bus started "Clogged Filter" symptoms during my short trip over the past weekend. Sure enough, the primary was clogged again. I was amazed at how dirty it was after so little mileage.

Filters clog especially bad after a bus has been sitting for a few years, I had to change/clean mine three times in only a few thousand miles right after I got it.

My primary filter is the "stacked disk" original type which is cleaned in solvent and the secondary is the replaceable type.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Marcus

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 04:06:42 AM »
Ekhedge, Pioneer trails bus line in Millersburg.Ohio will probably look at your bus . Their mechanic Paul is very good. They are located on state route 241 north of Millersburg. Thanks ,Marc

Offline Eric

• Currently in Northeast Ohio
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 06:11:01 PM »
I'm Going to Start with Fuel filters then!!! Thanks Everyone! ...I must say thought Nick when your father found the collapsing fuel line that had to take some serious thought!.....And i'll check out the shop in Millersburg! Again thanks everyone!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal