Author Topic: Generator Service Question  (Read 2235 times)

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
Generator Service Question
« on: December 18, 2009, 08:47:12 AM »
What is the recommended service on a diesel (Kubota) generator? I use the same oil in it that I use in the bus engine (8V92) for convenience (Delo 100-30wt), but in the last 2 years, I have put less than 15minutes runtime on it. The oil I drain out is still clear. Am I wasting my time and oil changing it and the filter for 15 Mins of use (I run it after changing oil and filter just to check for leaks) every 2 years? Also, does it matter that I'm using CF-2 rated oil in a 4 stroke? If I should I need it more in the future, I don't want any problems? It's 25 years old and has less than 100 hours on it and has been serviced every two years (oil and filter).
Am I doing okay by it? I know the PO's maint schedule because I have all the recpts.
Thanks in advance for any insights or recommendations, Will

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
Re: Generator Service Question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 09:25:41 AM »
Sounds to me like you have completely run out of things to worry about, and now you need to make some up ;D

Personally, I would not service it again until it had some real hours on it, not the 15 minute leak check.

Then, if you are going to run it for any reason, let it run for at least four hours with a significant load on it, at least 60% of capacity.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 09:28:46 AM »
You should change the oil at least once a year, the additive package in oil breaks down over time and needs to be replaced.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »
My Kubota manual lists the following maintenance schedule:

Clean air filter element every 100 hours
Replace Air Cleaner every 800 hours
Change Oil&Filter every 200 hours
Replace Fuel Filter every 300 hours
Adjust Valve Clearance every 800 hours

Also, the required oil is Cx-4, SAE 10W-30 (9 liters).  I would not use an oil without the -4 rating, nor would I use single-weight SAE 30 in a place where 30-weight is OK in the two-stroke (freezing temperatures).

I'm with Len; don't ever run it for just 15 minutes.  Run it a couple hours fully loaded.  Frankly, I would do that once a month if possible, but if you can't, it's better not to start it at all.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
The only thing that would cause a problem with not changing the oil is condensation accumulation.  The idea is to run the engine long and hard enough to bring the oil up to full operating temps, and the water will be boiled off.  now, if you don't have water contamination in the oil, you  don't need to do that...

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:49:49 AM »
I don't know what the long term storage procedures for that unit are, but if it were me and I knew it wasn't going to be run for a while (over 6 months), I would run it good and hard for a couple of hours. Then, when it has cooled enough, seal up the intake, exhaust, and crankcase vent. I would be comfortable with that for a couple of years.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
I don't know what the long term storage procedures for that unit are, but if it were me and I knew it wasn't going to be run for a while (over 6 months), I would run it good and hard for a couple of hours. Then, when it has cooled enough, seal up the intake, exhaust, and crankcase vent. I would be comfortable with that for a couple of years.
Thanks for all the input. You're probably right, Len, since the wife is gone all day doing volunteer work for the holidays, I'm puttering around here looking for things to get me into trouble. ;D
I would just put it into storage mode, but I don't want the hassle of unstoring on a moments notice should I need to use it unexpectedly. (Power outage or unexpected road trip) Next oil change I will switch back to the proper oil and grade per Sean's recommendation, but considering the few hours its run, I'm not going to worry about it at this time. It would be nice if the oil at least looked dark between changes. ;D
Thanks again for the advice, Will

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »
If you're worried about the oil-have it analyzed.  I once went 3 years on an oil change on the big engine on the bus, and it still was OK, but just wanted to change it.  On our big rigs with refer units, or gens on the trucks, for convenience sake, they just say to use the same 15W-40 as the big engines do (4 stroke engines).  I use 15W-40 in my Kubota and it likes it alot-runs cooler.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal