Author Topic: Pex or CPVC?  (Read 16036 times)

Offline busboy

Re: Pex or CPVC?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 04:23:00 PM »
I have PEX in my bus.  When I was plumbing my mister system and had to go thru the engine bay which is hot.  I was told that if you have a hot, ~200 degree environment that CPVC or copper is recommended.  The PEX is great because the fittings are easy to put together.
Happy Trails,
Brent

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 04:48:11 PM »
Well, I will step out on a limb here and admit I used CPVC :-X

It was strictly a personal decision all things considered.

I am a Form and Function type of person, personally and professionally.

It has to WORK right and LOOK good.

I didn't feel I could make the pex look right(to my standards) in exposed locations.

My CPVC is clamped to the top of the bays with electrical offset clamps and basically squared everywhere it

goes, grommets at all thru wall locations.

If you have ever been on a ship you will know the look.

I also live in the Southeast where freezing temps are not such a problem.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
Re: Pex or CPVP?
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 07:21:37 PM »
OK - PEX IT IS!   ;)

Thanks,
Danny

That Danny can take a hint ;D :D
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 08:21:20 PM »
I have PEX in my bus. When I was plumbing my mister system and had to go thru the engine bay which is hot. I was told that if you have a hot, ~200 degree environment that CPVC or copper is recommended. The PEX is great because the fittings are easy to put together.
Happy Trails,
Brent

Hi Brent,

pex also has a product called Heat Pex that we use on in floor radiant heat systems.

pex recommends we use the brass fittings and copper rings for the hi temp applications.

It's max temp is 250 deg.    Good product for the mister systems.

I have a 1000ft. roll of 1/2" that we always keep in the shop

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 05:00:10 AM »
Cliff,
   Is this CPVC Anonymous?  I used CPVC in our bus also. At the time I did our plumbing was about when all the lawsuits about all the failed plastic tubing used in mobile homes were in the news. Scared me! I had recently plumbed our entire house with CPVC and felt comfortable with it. All lines are straight runs that are attached to the walls with a slight slope. I open one drain valve in the bay and the faucets to let air in the the entire system is drained. If I was doing a bus today, I would use the rigid lengths of PEX. Best of both worlds, straight runs and better freeze resistance.  YMMV Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 05:23:35 AM »
Jack,

I didn't mention it in my first post, but I, like you, was aware of all the failures of plastic pipe(quest, I believe) in the news,

and thats why I also went with CPVC.

And of course in the Southeast Pex isnt as popular due to the lack of longstanding freezing temperatures. ;D

I would also go to pex if starting over.

Have you considered adding a 12 step program for CPVC users at the next Bussin?

Maybe you and I could give our testimony and help others come out of the (water)closet! ;)

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline Hartley

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 09:09:45 PM »
I used PEX....

Then I saw that PVC ( Poly Vinyl Chloride ) was in the news over exposure to the chemicals and some ambulance chasers
were looking for clients that had been exposed to PVC and or materials used in its manufacture. I think it was along the
same lines as the Poly Butalene ( Grey stuff ) that was used in some places.

I never liked the taste of the solvent cement getting into the PVC or CPVC myself. If you can taste it, It cannot be good.

Never had a problem with the current PEX tubing ( white ) and it behaves very well being abused and shoved around
and vibrated and is much easier to install when the only helper you have is yourself....I used the crimp rings.
bought the tools at a pawn shop for $15.00 ( both 1/2" & 3/4" )... same crimpers as electrical connectors.
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

belfert

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2006, 09:14:37 AM »
Jack,

I didn't mention it in my first post, but I, like you, was aware of all the failures of plastic pipe(quest, I believe) in the news,

You're probably thinking of the failures of the old Polybutadene (sp?) pipe often used in older mobile homes.  PEX is different and so far isn't failing unless the installation is done wrong.  They have even used this stuff in some million dollar homes here in Minnesota, even though most builders still seem to be doing copper.

Some plumbers and plumbing supply houses refuse to have anything to do with PEX until it has more time in the field.  Some of them got burned with the whole polybutadene plastic pipe thing.

Brian Elfert

Offline busboy

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2006, 10:40:55 AM »
All the PEX fittings I have bought state in the installation instructions that it is not to be used in places where it is not accessable.  I guess the lawyers are pre-loading in case this stuff ever fails...
Happy Trails,
Brent

belfert

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2006, 11:03:41 AM »
All the PEX fittings I have bought state in the installation instructions that it is not to be used in places where it is not accessable.  I guess the lawyers are pre-loading in case this stuff ever fails...

Copper fittings and parts can break too.

I had a brass valve for copper fail in my new house a few weeks after I moved in.  The valve was buried in the floor.  Lucky I saw the leak before I went to work or the builder would have had a big repair bill.  The plumber had to remove a cabinet and cut a hole to get to it.

The valve is for water to an unfinished bathroom that will eventually be finished.  No Idea how I would have ever figured out where the valve is if it hadn't leaked.

Brian Elfert

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2006, 02:08:51 PM »
Happy Trails,
Brent

These fittings, which by the way can be used for CPVC, PEX or Copper, or any combination, are approved for use in non-accessable places...http://www.cashacme.com/sbpush.php

Jay
87 SaftLiner
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2006, 04:44:50 PM »
 Pex is what I used and it has worked well.  However, I used crimped fittings except in one place, and guess what leaked?  It was a nut and ball with a star washer sort of affair that connected to 1/2" pipe, and the first one leaked....I replaced it, and the second one leaked.  Found a crimp fitting that had a hand nut on it and it has worked without issues.   Be careful where you use the non-crimp fittings.  The non-crimp fittings are expensive (relatively) too. 
I have a pressure regulator in the "city" water line...sort've odd that multiples of the same fitting design leaked.  One the recommendation of a knowledgeable plumber type, I doubled the star locks on one if the failed fittings...this didn't work either.  The pex tubing would gradually work out of the fitting.   Don't know if it was related to motion or what, but, based on this experience, I'd avoid the non-crimped fittings.   
JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal