Author Topic: LED lights  (Read 10544 times)

Offline roger dolan

LED lights
« on: December 22, 2009, 06:16:41 PM »
  Want info on interior Led Lites

Roger 4106

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: LED lights
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
Probably gonna need to be a bit more specific on what you are looking for.  Styles?  Voltages?  Locations?  Where to buy? 

That being said, I bought a bunch of LED puck lights from Menard's that I will be using throughout. I have 3 in the shower now and a couple in the bunk beds.

I got the ones without the transformer (made to extend the transformer set). They hook right up to 12 volts. Work very well. They don't put out as much light as
an incandescent, but for their intended uses, they'll work well.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:14:25 AM »

Google is your best bet. 

Price has not come down enough for some.

I found a couple candelabra fixture type at costco,  brighter and less energy than the CF that where in there.  Use about 7 watts each and instant bright.   I  have them in the fixture that usually gets left on.
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 05:42:54 AM »
So far I find the colour of white LED's somehow unpleasing to my eye.  they seem too white.  Has anyone else noticed this, and are there more daylight coloured lights coming along?

I have 12v halogen in the bus  now, along with fluorescent dual tube, and I'm not really satisfied with either, so still looking for the right solution!

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline muddog16

• Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop
    • Prevost LeMirage Conversion
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:03:27 AM »
I purchased small can light fixtures at lowe's that were fairly inexpensive that came with 50watt halogen lamps, I searched ebay and found a vendor that supplied LED lamps that would fit these fixtures. I also changed the fixture housing where they were to tall for my ceiling space by removing the connection box on the top saving about a 1 1/2" in total height.  The lamp numbers on the Halogen lamps were GU 10 120volt 50 watts, the LED's were also GU 10 120 volt.  They fit exactly.....!   You may have to look around to find what you want.......I think they will work out just fine.........I know that the color is probably a stark white and not very warm.......but I can always find a new color they keep changing all the time.    The height of the can light fixture now is 3 3/4" tall.  I only paid 11 bucks for each fixture and i have 5 bucks in the LED lamp.  Good luck!
Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 07:00:14 AM »
Pat,

I've been looking to do exactly what you have done. I'll check out Lowes today for the fixture. What eBay vendor did you find the LED's?

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:13:12 AM »
Look at Lowes for under cabinet lights(led) that's where I found mine  only 1 1/2 in ch thick
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

cody

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »
Not intending to hijack the thread but are they making LED driving or head lights available yet? Some new cars on tv appear to have them from the ads.

Offline belfert

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 09:33:37 AM »
Not intending to hijack the thread but are they making LED driving or head lights available yet? Some new cars on tv appear to have them from the ads.

Yes, but the price is out of sight.  They are 7" round and cost $400 each.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

cody

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »
wow, in really big letters

Offline muddog16

• Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop
    • Prevost LeMirage Conversion
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »
Hi Paul, I had to go find this: http://stores.ebay.com/Hi-iQ-Telecom-Ltd if he doesn't have them just enter a search and use LED lamps or bulbs!  

I came back here is a even better vendor at ebay he seems to have everything:      http://stores.ebay.com/Trust-Deals-Lights                                                                                             Good luck
Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »
Quote from: cody
WOW!

hows that Cody?
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 12:24:03 PM »
Thanks Pat, I did do an ealier search on eBay and did not see anything listed except some from England. I appreciate the info!

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Tim Strommen

• Electronics Geek
    • Bus Page
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »

There are a few aftermarket Aux lights available, but they are cheap ones that don't work well (mostly for bragging rights...).  Truck-Lite makes the $400 7" round that belfert mentioned...  The Audi R8 LED DRLs and Headlights are custom made by a company that sells to Audi directly, and the LED low/high-beam option costs $5,146.62...  The LED package is the Philips-Lumileds "Altilon" LED, which is way different from most LEDs you'd find at RadioShack ;D.

...So far I find the colour of white LED's somehow unpleasing to my eye.  they seem too white.  Has anyone else noticed this, and are there more daylight coloured lights coming along?...

I think I mentioned this in another thread, the color of the white-light affects the light output.  Most of the cheaper LED fixtures out there (I define cheap as sub-$200) give you 5200K-6500K color-temp white (this is very "cool" bluish color and not a sunlight-spectrum type output).  There are "warmer" LEDs (4500K-2700K) that appear more yellowish, but as mentioned, the light output is not as good (the Color-Rendering-Index (CRI) goes up as the color-temp falls.  Light output is going up on the lower color-temp LEDs, but the cost is still pretty high ($3-7 per LED) so you probably won't find them unless you go to a part supplier like Future-Electronics and "roll-your-own"...

Anyone driving across the San Mateo Bridge in the S.F. Bay Area will notice the east-bound direction is getting all of the Sodium lights replaced with LEDs - the glare is better, and you can see the lines on the road when it rains...

-Tim
Fremont, CA
1984 Gillig Phantom 40/102
DD 6V92TA (MUI, 275HP) - Allison HT740
Conversion Progress: 10% (9-years invested, 30 to go :))

Offline belfert

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 04:56:57 AM »
Someone mentioned late this summer about LED lights in long strips.  They have a warm white option.  I ordered a strip to try, but the order didn't arrive before my last trip of the season.  I didn't install them yet because I am thinking about some major remodeling in 2010, but may get pushed back to 2011 now.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal