Author Topic: Leaving at 5 am to pick up silver 8v92 for repower  (Read 17237 times)

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Leaving at 5 am to pick up silver 8v92 for repower
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:17:17 PM »
Well... I finally took the plunge. Have about 20 hours each way ahead of me and a friend driving to pull and pick up my 8V92.

Not exactly what I had planned to do for my vavcation but I just found the right deal and pulled the trigger and Lea and the kids actually understand!! truth be told I think they are tired of hearing daddy's "underpowered" complaints.

Need to be back Monday so pray that the darn thing you would come out reasonably easy and for safe travels.

Thinking about using truck tires to keep from damaging the oil pan. Got heavy duty chains. The only thing we don't have lined up yet is a back hoe or a loader to lift the thing onto the trailer.

Hopefully I come back with all my fingers and without a hernia!

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline Eagle Andy

• Cowboy Coach
  • 1968 Silver Eagle # 7481
Re: Leaving at 5 am to pick up silver 8v92 for repower
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:25:58 PM »
Cool Rick what are you replacing ? your going to love the big motor , I know I love mine I didn't at first never owning a DD but hech had to start someplace. Good luck and drive safe.  8)
1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
    • Creative Custom Cabinetry
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »
Good luck Rick, Keep us posted, I would love to have one in my bus just don't know if it would be worth it. Have a safe trip. Jason

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:45:26 PM »
Rick, you will love that engine they can be set to do anything but walk on water.
They like 1400 to 1800 rpm unlike your 8v71 which doesn't mind 2100 rpm.
Anyway could you post the serial number for us.

good luck and have a safe trip
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Van

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »
Good luck Rick, I know that feeling real well

I remember going for ours, be sure to pick up some 4x6 or 6x8's to block it up and cross tie the front and rear, then boogity boogity, ;D
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline RickB

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:26:53 PM »
Van, did it damage the oil pan to sit it like that?

Clifford I will forward the serial as soon as I get it. I do know this, it is a new style 8v92 silver. It has the blower bypass. The pictures the guy sent me of this thing look real promising. It is cleaner than my current motor which is really clean.
I've got high hopes for next summer tooling around with the family.

Andy, I am switching out my superb running, awesome 8v71.

Rebuilding the tranny as well over the winter.

She's gonna haul bootie. Current tuning is 475 HP.

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »
Van, in your last picture, do you have a 3rd engine on the roof rack?  ;D

Best of luck Rick!  Keep us drooling with pictures please!

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 07:50:40 PM »
... truth be told I think they are tired of hearing daddy's "underpowered" complaints.

Really?  Imagine that!!   ::) ::)
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline RickB

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 08:11:51 PM »
Gumpy,

What can I say when your right, you're really right ;D ;D :o

I am glad I have friends like you and Brian D who put up with me.

Still trying to figure out how Van got those engines to sit on their oil pans and under pressure from the chains, they didn't collapse.

The truck tire idea is probably overkill but I've waited so long for this that I sure don't want to make a misyake if I can help it.

We are cutting basically everything hoses, linkages, battery cables. I don't need any of that stuff.

Now, if we can just find a nice farmer nearby with a big tractor that can lift this thing.

good nite 4:30 comes awful early to this guy.

Rick

Offline Van

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 09:09:56 PM »
Rick, the pans never touched the deck, the 692 mine is on the rear of the trailer and was supported by the cross members and 6x8's, the one on the front Clifford's 871 was supported by just the timbers with about 3" clearance under neath. Maybe the cross members will still be attached to your engine, should be no problem though, just block it along side the pan and go for it (remember the timbers, getsome just in case, and check it every 100 or so miles so's ya don't end up wearin' it :D :D :D.good luck
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Iver

• 1979 MCI-9
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 01:28:30 AM »
Ah yes, I remember the fun.....
     Iver.
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 06:07:53 AM »
what are the dimensional differences between a 8V-71 and a 8V-92?  Are the mounting points and such the same?  Will a 71 flywheel and other ancillaries fit a 92?  Are there 8V92 mechanical engines or just DDEC? 

wow, lots of questions!  But it's so hard to find all the knowledge that so many of you have from years of experience!

thanks, Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 06:15:27 AM »
Brian, the 8v92 is about 2 inches longer than a 8v71 and no the flywheel will not fit they are mechanical or DDEC The DDEC series being 1 to IV.
I like the later models engines like the DDEC blocks don't leak as much and have a better oil pan sealing system and cooling.  
I think the new style block came on the market in 1986 or 1987 maybe later the easy way to tell is the special bolts and the wider spacing of the bolts on the oil pan and the block will work for mechanical or DDEC.
I hope for Rick if that is a mechanical 475 hp it comes with a fuel modulator those 90's injectors will blow some black smoke.
 And if the air cleaner is available from the donor he needs that also the 8v71 air filter won't handle the air for a 8v92.
Rick pickup all the piping and rubber fitting you can get for the air system those cost big bucks when you go to buy new

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 09:43:42 AM »
I like the later models engines like the DDEC blocks don't leak as much and have a better oil pan sealing system and cooling. 

OKAY Clifford, I really like you and all the great info you provide, but I'm taking exception with that comment. LOL  ;D
Happy New Year, Will

Offline RickB

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
Well I had high expectations for this motor and it has some issues that are troubling to say the least.
There is a small piece of impeller blade missing on the intake side of the turbo and of all things a piece of a drill bit was stuck to the drain plug when we drained the oil.
Some of the +'s are it has jakes. It was running quite well judging by the exhaust. We had to pull the Y pipe and the two turbo exhaust pipes so I got a good look at the exhaust manifolds and they looked as if the motor had been running really well. The oil and antifreeze looked clear and good. We almost have it out already after a couple hours.
The biggest issue we had was that my young helper was pulling the bellhousing bolts that connect the tranny and the motor together and after pulling the front motor mount I slid under the motor to get at the rear motor mounts and saw that they actually are mounted on the tranny so if my friend had pulled the last two bolts the  only thing holding the tranny would have been the input pilot shaft of the tranny. I am fairly certain that the motor wouldn't have fallen but it was a reminder how careful we need to be when working on these giant motors.
I have decided to take the motor straight to my mechanic and have him pull the pan and heads to see what kind of damage may have happened due to the turbine blade and if things look reasonably good I will have him put an inframe kit in it.
We will be carefully proceeding with caution tomorrow to get this thing safely on and strapped to the trailer.
I have to admit these were a couple of my worst fears come to life but we keep on keeping on because we're busnuts right?
Going to bed. Happy new year everyone!
Rick

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal