Author Topic: Leaving at 5 am to pick up silver 8v92 for repower  (Read 17238 times)

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Re: Leaving at 5 am to pick up silver 8v92 for repower
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »
We got it pulled and loaded this morning. The tranny pilot shaft was super difficult to get out but we were on the road at 12:30.
Serial # 8VF091830*
Amazing what some boom trucks can lift he lifted the whole front end off the ground!
Feeling better about my purchase today.
Motor has 66k miles on it
We're on our way back home staying in Charleston WV tonite.
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 07:29:47 PM »

Good to hear.  Drive safe tomorrow.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline DaveG

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »
We got it pulled and loaded this morning. The tranny pilot shaft was super difficult to get out but we were on the road at 12:30.
Serial # 8VF091830*
Amazing what some boom trucks can lift he lifted the whole front end off the ground!

Nice low mileage!

Offline RickB

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 07:23:38 AM »
Made it home at 2:30 in the morning last night.Whew! this was a difficult task but if everything goes well it will be worth it in the long run.

I am planning on pulling the motor off the trailer tomorrow at my brother in laws heated shop where I plan to pull all the accessories (that I don't plan on using) fan, Delco Remy alternator, etc and get this old girl ready to make the trip to Central diesel for a test firing. I have to buy a spin on oil filter assembly and install it as this engine was using an outside the engine compartment filter and I will need to change that.

Clifford I am hoping you can give me some info on the serial # that I typed in an earlier post I would sure appreciate it.

I am going to need a number of things that some of you may have advice as to where I may find them at reasonable prices. I will need a shallower oil pan for sure and a new bellhousing as well (I will find a picture and post the configuration of it as soon as I can).

I will need the 8V92 MCI 9 cradle as well. I may need a double oil cooler also as I am not sure the 8v71 dual oil cooler interchange with the 92?.

I also need a set of used jake brake valve covers as mine were damaged in the motor removal.

I plan to pressure wash it and remove as much of the stuff as I can that I won't be using. The pressure plate is probably gonna be a bear as it is quite rusty.

I figure not only do I enjoy working on my own stuff (don't we all?) but the idea of having my mechanic put on a fresh oil filter and oil change or remove a fan assembly at $75 an hour is just not a good use of my money.

I appreciate those of you that have kept in touch with me throughout this adventure.

Well it's off to Church I go and I just get to sit and listen today instead of leading Worship.

I am looking forward to that on this 20 degree below Sunday.

Thanks again folks for your help and encouragement.

Rick

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »
Only thing I tell you Rick is it 83-84 year model and left the factory at set 445.hp.
Remote mount your oil filter if you can Pedco has parts for that or a spin on.
? why do you need a bellhousing are MCI's special.
You are going to need a  new flex plate $$$ .  
I have the standard sae 1 bellhousing,valve covers,remote mount filter and double cooler but shipping may be more than they are worth. 
I have a shallow pan for a later model block it won't work on that block
I also have a 24 volt starter for that engine I will give you free I am tired of moving it around also better check the torque converter rating on your 740 now and be sure it will handle a 8v92

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline dbenck

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 07:48:32 AM »
Rick, glad things worked out on the trip ! Good thing you were not pulling the motor up here, you may not have any fingers left...they would have broken off in the cold.  :o

David Benck

Offline belfert

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 07:54:03 AM »
Rick, glad things worked out on the trip ! Good thing you were not pulling the motor up here, you may not have any fingers left...they would have broken off in the cold.  :o

Rickb doesn't live far from you.  Maybe 30 or 40 miles so he is dealing with the cold.  It is darn cold here in Minnesota.  -14F right now.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline RickB

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 08:03:14 AM »
Clifford,

I may be able to use the bellhousing but il looks like a totally different configuration.

I am rebuilding my 2nd gear start 754 and I will have my tranny guy look at that torque rating.

Let me look into shipping and I will get back to you but I am not gonna do any long drives for parts any time soon!!!

How much for the flex plate??? best guesstimate?

Dave and Brian I second that... it is cold brrrrrr.

I plan to have my engine guy start it with the current turbo I just don't feel like spending money on a rebuilt one until I know that there is no major damage done by those above mentioned froeign objects that are unaccounted for.

I'll update with pics soon and I will let you all know what I find when I pull the oil pan.

Rick

Offline RickB

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »
My turbo is part # 8924254 where can I get a good rebuilt unit? I belive it's a Garrett AR but it's too cold to go out and check!!!

Also, when pulling the accessory drives do I make covers for the bellhousing mounts out of plexiglass or are the accessory drives not oiled by the engine lubrication system?

I want to pull the compressor, alternator, fan, power steering pump, A/C compressor just to get them cleaned up and I am not sure if the accessory drive mounts are going to leak alot of oil once we start the motor.

Rick

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »
Rick, that is a model TV 8301 turbo with a A/R of 1.39 most 475 hp use the TV 8511 with a A/R of 1.39 I checked and the engine is a 1983 model anyway for you to tell what injectors are in the engine like a tag on a valve cover.

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline johns4104s

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »
Boy Clifford you really know your stuff.

Thanks

John

Offline Zeroclearance

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »
Rick,  here is the factory parts breakdown for your turbocharger.   

If you have a chance to remove the turbo and check the turbine wheel.   This will tell you if anything has run thru the turbine wheel.

You have mentioned the FOD damage to the compressor wheel, check if there is wheel rub from trashed bearings.

Offline James77MCI8

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »
I wish we had a Clifford here in SC
77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd

Offline RickB

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
Clifford,

I wholeheartedly agree you are a wealth of info and experience. Thanks for all your help.

Zero clearance the turbo feels and spins perfectly, no play whatsoever. Should that reassure me that my motor didn't swallow this debris? That would be reassuring indeed.
First thing I did was spin it and check for wobble or end play felt like a new turbo just a piece missing out of one blade. A small triangular piece about 1/4" across. Looked like it had happened a while ago but since the motor has not run in a couple years that could be the reason for the appearance.

Wanted badly to go out and work on it today but it is far too cold.

So regarding the turbo where do I buy a rebuilt or do I have this one r&r'd?

Does anyone care to venture a guess as to where the darn piece of drill bit came from??

Clifford, in a two stroke Detroit does the air come through the turbo, into the blower through the airbox and into the intake ports on the liners or does it travel through the crankcase and into a transfer port like a lawnmower 2 stroke. The reason I ask is if it does travel through the crankase and through a transfer port (reed valve) wouldn't debris be as likely to end up in the oil pan as the cylinder liner? I plan to scope the cylinders and see if I see any evidence of debris having traveled into a combustion chamber and if I do I will probably have my mechaninc just put an in frame kit in.

Guys, what is your collective experience with this kind of turbo turbine failure?

I had the same exact thing with my last wet sleeve motor they saw no evidence in my cylinder put a new turbo on and I sold that motor with 40k fairly trouble free miles, it started hard though and had alot of white smoke on startup especially on cold mornings.

Once again thanks for being so helpful I an really grateful that all of you are here for each other and for me.

Rick

Offline Zeroclearance

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 03:15:15 PM »
Rick, the air will go from the turbo charge side to the blower and into the aftercooler.   You could get the different pieces to add intercoolers.   This would put LESS heat load on your engine cooling system.    After leaving the charge cooling the intake/charge air is directed to the liner ports by way of the airbox.

You have mentioned the turbine wheel damage,  the question is do you have broken turbine wheel blades?   Hot side vs cold side?   Where is the damage.   If you can take a picture of the damage and post it I can "help" you..   

As far as a rebuild, IF the turbo has sustained any damage to the turbine wheel or compressor wheel you might want to call your local  Detroit Dealer and shop different dealers for a exchange rebuilt turbocharger.     

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal