Author Topic: ac compressor weight  (Read 14429 times)

Offline christopher

ac compressor weight
« on: July 30, 2006, 06:00:47 AM »
anyone know how much an ac compressor weights in an mci
thanx
chris

Offline grantgoold

Re: ac compressor weight
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 07:13:16 AM »
When I removed a 05-g from a friends unit, we guessed at about 90-115 lbs.

Good luck!

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 07:28:09 AM »
Yep, I agree with Grant....my MC9 Carrier compressor was in the 100+ lbs range.  I removed it by myself by unbolting it and very carefully pulling it out of the side service door.  It rotates and will slide right out. DON"T get under it! Could hurt. 
Remove the compressor from the mount and then remove the mount.  Makes a nice location forr 2 group 31 batterys. 
I located my cranking batteries there.   Still have not made a perm battery box for them, but they're comfy anyway. 
Much more accessible than the house batteries in the original bus battery box.  The OEM 8D batts are a PITA to service. 
Cheers, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

belfert

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 09:04:19 AM »
I'm thinking they weigh a lot more 115 lbs.  Two of us could barely lift mine.

In high school (18 years ago), I used to carry 100 lb bags of sweeping compound and the compressor was a lor heavier than those.

Brian Elfert

Offline TomC

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 09:14:29 AM »
O5G 6 cylinder weighs 146lb.  05K 4 cylinder weighs 108lb.  What is interesting is that with the 05G producing 37cuin displacement, there is the small TM16 compressor that produces 10cuin and weighs 11lb.  What's to say that you could run three TM16 for 30cuin and only weighs 33lb total?  I checked with a rebuilder and the 05G costs $1,250 exchange rebuilt.  Now the larger compressors we use with Freightliner are of the 13 cu in size and cost $350 new with clutch.  So use two of the Sanden types instead of the big 05G, which would be close enough in BTU's.  I was cruising the Carrier site and pulled up their bus systems. If I were to have an over the road system,  I would use one of the Carrier systems that have a roof top condenser, and two split evaporators inside the bus.  You would then completely free up the under space, have a new system that wouldn't be constantly bleeding you for maintenence.  And can assure you, it won't be anywhere near as complicated as the old original system now in the bus. Course, these are A/C only units.  For heat, just put in two floor mounted heaters that run off the engine.  One of the reasons the big original units were so complicated was that the A/C is usually run with the heat for dehumidifcation.  But what's to say you couldn't do that anyway?  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline steamguy56

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 10:48:38 AM »
Not sure of compressor alone all the a/c and heating condencers..coils were just over 1000 lbs

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 12:21:39 PM »
Tom is right, 140 pounds.

Tom, can you run two compressors together in the same system?  How would they connected, series or parallel?

belfert

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 01:29:04 PM »
Not sure of compressor alone all the a/c and heating condencers..coils were just over 1000 lbs

You got some heavy coils there.  I stripped my evaporator and condensor down to just the coils and came up with 260 lbs.  This also included the baseboard radiators for passenger heat. 

The condenser and evaporator had motors and all the other garbage removed.  It took me 4 or 5 hours to strip them down, but I made $40 or $50 an hour for my effort since the stripped coils were worth much more.

Brian Elfert

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 01:40:36 PM »

Tom, can you run two compressors together in the same system? How would they connected, series or parallel?

How would you keep oil in each compressor?

I think I would rather have 2 seperate systems. If one dies, you still have something.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline steamguy56

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 02:10:40 PM »
Brian was curious the wieght taken off the bus so the coils, compressor, double blower, mongster fan in the dryer compartment alot of misc. one wieght 1000
It was seperated when it was unloaded
Danny

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »
Brian,
I want to hear how this one would be done too!
Nick-

Tom, can you run two compressors together in the same system? How would they connected, series or parallel?
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 03:42:41 PM »
Here's the specs. from the cut sheet

05G Compressor
Quality, capacity, and reliability:
 Type: 6-cylinder, open drive
Oil level: ½ of sightglass
Displacement: 37 in ccc (606cm ccc) 41in ccc (672cm ccc) optional
Weight: 146 lb (66 kg) including clutch
Speed range: 400 - 2200 RPM (2500 RPM intermittent speeds acceptable)
Allowable belt side loading: 300 lb (136 kg)
Oil charge: 7 ¾ pints (3.67 liters)

This has been my delima in the past.

The smaller automobile compressors like the A6 and the imports are at their full capacity at 7500 rpm.

And our bus engines turn on average at 2400 rpm. this means the small compressors would only be able

to put out 1/3 of the cooling that they can produce. Unless someone has an idea on how to spin them

faster on a bus engine??? Let me know!   This is only one of the reasons I have kept my coach air.

Nick-

P.S. Here is some specs. on the standard auto type compressors too

A6 Compressor
Quality, capacity, and reliability:
 Six cylinder axial configuration
Bore: 38.1MM (1.5in.)
Stroke: 30.2mm (1.2in.)
Displacement: 207 cc (12.6 cu. in.)
Refrigerant: R-134a
Oil charge: 10 oz. Polyalkyleneglycol oil (R134a)
Maximum speed: 6500 RPM continuous, 7500 RPM intermittent
Clutch coil: 12 Volt DC, or 24 Volt DC

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 04:30:31 PM »
Ok,  Let me expand on Nicks auto compressors running at 7500 rpm problem.

Would it be possible to run a d/c motor using a properly set up pully ratio between the compressor and the motor to run said compressor at or near the 7500 rpm.?

Could you run that motor off of a 50DN?  Or what size motor and how much d/c would it consume.

I have a ford compressor set up as a vacuum pump runnning on a a/c motor, so could the reverse be done with a d/c? (using a d/c motor to run the compressor)

Throwing out ideas and looking for replies :P

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 07:28:35 PM »
What about using an AC motor with an inverter?  I have no idea which motor design (AC or DC) is more efficient, but an inverter would solve the problem of looking for an appropriate DC motor.   Continuous duty large DC motors are expensive too.
There's an AC motor for any application you can dream up!  Your 50DN would easily handle the motor demands...and the condensor and evap motors too.    I garuntee!
This concept would make a nice dash air system.   I'm not familiar with your GM front, but an MCI has a good bit of space under the driver for such a compressor arrangement.   The optimal RPM could be arranged with drive ratios.  An electric motor will operate a lot more load than gasoline engine....or to put it differently, a 1 HP AC electric motor would do the work of a 5 HP gasoline engine....or proximal thereof.  Being a non-engineer sort, my approach to such things is the famous "bench test demo!"   Try it and see what works.  You can tell if the motor is doing the job by  amp draw.   I'd guess that most auto AC compressors will function quite well at 3 K RPM.   Even though the auto compressor maxes at 7500, they wouldn't live long at that RPM...I wouldn't think?   They normally operate between 800 and and about 4K. 
If you want multiple units to cool the whole bus, I'd just create "modules" that operated independently.   Some redunduncy then.  You're getting back to running the rooftops which you already could do.   One rooftop would work from an inverter.
Hope someone tries this.  This would make a dash air sooo easy to install.
Cheers, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 07:42:49 PM »
Hi JR,

A auto compressor normally robs you of 15 hp from your engine. That would be a very big AC motor to turn it. Huh!

I guss we are just trying to reinvent the wheel?

Nick-

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal