Author Topic: Sad day at the Scenicruiser Orphanage  (Read 48119 times)

Offline compedgemarine

Re: Sad day at the Scenicruiser Orphanage
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
not being an attorney, what does the "pretrial intervention" mean and what would that actually do?

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »
I think that's were everybody gets together, says we was only kidding you've learned your lesson, Perp says you bet I have and I will be a good boy from now on, everybody sings a round of "Kumbyah" and he gets dismissed with time served.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2010, 03:28:50 PM »
Kyle,
    Maybe you better change the title to Better day at the Scenicruiser Orphanage.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2010, 03:49:59 PM »
PreTrial Intervention (PTI) as I understand the explanation to me-
Basically, the person caught with their hand in the cookie jar acknowledges their wrong doing, shows remorse, lets go of the cookies & agrees to pay restitution in a timely manner. They also agree to be on their best behaviour & not violate any laws or additional requirements stipulated as part of the PTI. There is a time frame associated with this PTI deal (usually less than 5 years). At the satisfactory completion of this time (good behaviour & all restitution paid), the felony charges are dropped & they will have a 'clean' record (as far as this incident is concerned). If he violates the terms, the original charges are reinstates & he is charged again & goes to court.

PTI is a one time only deal.
There is no way in the world i could pay this debt in 5 years, so I don't see him having a snowball's chance in hell of doing it either. - not without him turning to more crime. . . .

Jack, while it is a relief that the damage is stopped for now, it is still a sad day when you see all the sensless damage done & all the irreplaceable parts gone forever. The pool of repair parts is smaller than it should be, & that means there are 2 or 3 buses that can't ever be restored because the parts no longer exist.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2010, 04:11:18 PM »
Kyle that's pretty well what pre-trial intervention meant when some local punk broke into our fifth wheel years ago.  For whatever reason we went through it - the crown strongly encouraged us to participate but it wasn't mandatory.  Marilyn said ahead of time that she would consider it a success if she got the punk to cry and she succeeded.  (she's really good)  I have no idea whether the punk in question went on to a career in crime (likely) or reformed as a result of the PTI.  Under the Canadian judicial system the fact that he was younger than 16 meant that about the best we could hope for was that he would cry.  So I guess we got all we could have out of the deal.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2010, 07:25:40 AM »
An update, June 2010.

I was notified of the trial date ~18 hours before hand. I was in Hew Hampshire for work, so there was no way I could have made it to the court house in Lexington, SC.

The punk plead guilty as part of his plea deal.
He spent ~14 weeks in jail & is now out. He was sentenced to 5 years probation & has to pay court fees & $5000 restitution to me. The parole office is way understaffed, so I'm sure he will take advantage of that.

No, I don't expect to see a dime of that restitution. I do expect that he will be successful in talking his way out of going back to jail with the "in this economy, I can't get a job" excuse.

There needs to be some reform in how criminals are dealt with - If there were work camps that were set up to make 'going straight' easy by comparison, there would be fewer repeat offenders. . . . .

Color me thoroughly disgusted with the "criminal justice system" - it should be called something along the lines of 'the bureaucracy of criminal education & empowerment' with special recognition to the 'adding insult to injury of victims' department.

:( ::) >:(

Offline James77MCI8

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2010, 08:28:19 AM »
Kyle,
Speaking from experience you will have to stay after the courts to collect the restitution. Once the trial is over the victim is prety much on his own. One of my employees stole about 5K worth of tools from me. He pleaded guilty on a pre-trial. The pawn shop got his 200 bucks back and I have received 25.00 in restitution over the past two years. If they can't find him he can't pay?
77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2010, 08:42:41 AM »
Removed
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline 4905 doc

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2010, 09:28:19 AM »
Kyle, get some sort of camera set up. You know the little $#!% is going to go back and try to teach you a lesson for keeping him in jail. find a way to photo the punk in the act, and then, maybe, just maybe the court system will figure out that he shows no remorse.
just my 2 cents... I could be wrong.

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »
The court already knows what they are dealing with. The problem lies in the courts ability/ inability to do what is required to permanently change his mindset.

I did/ do have cameras. Court didn't care since punk confessed (I never said he was a smart one). The problem with cameras is if they are found before you get the pictures.
To get one that does the instant wireless download with high enough resolution to identify the perp . . . . well, that is a lot of money too . . .

He knows EVERYONE in the neighborhood is watching for him, so hopefully he will look elsewhere . . . .

Offline belfert

« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2010, 11:41:28 AM »
The supreme court would probably rule any sort of effective punishment as unconsitutional.  How many different ways to execute death row inmates have been ruled unconstitutional due to pain inflicted during the process?  Hello, you're killing the guy (or gal)!  Does anybody besides a few wackos care if the person endures a little pain during the process?

The other issue is cost.  If you threw criminals in jail for longer periods a lot of people would complain about the extra taxes.  California and other states are releasing criminals early to cut down on prison costs.

If it was up to me there would be public hangings on a regular basis like the old days.  If someone is sentenced to hang take them directly from the courtroom to the gallows.  Don't keep them in prison for a decade or two first.  It costs more these days to put someone to death than to keep them in prison on a life sentence due to the appeals and such.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2010, 12:39:40 PM »
. . . . .  It costs more these days to put someone to death than to keep them in prison on a life sentence due to the appeals and such.

That is because the fox is in charge of the hen house

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2010, 12:45:01 PM »

I think we should put us senoir citizens in jail.  Free food,free medical care,no rent, checked on 24 hours a day.

Put the crooks in rest homes. cost about 5,000 dollars a month plus you pay medical bills and all else.

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline DMoedave

« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2010, 08:41:04 PM »
Uncle Ned for leadership role.
we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2010, 09:30:25 PM »
Ned, you figured out my retirement plan! :)
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal