Poll

Searching for Info on Gear or Rear Axle Swap

Gear Ratio
1 (100%)
Manual Transmission
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Neoplan AN 440 Gear Ratio  (Read 3001 times)

Offline NeoplanAN440

• 1995 MCI 102 D3 running WVO Neoplan AN440
Neoplan AN 440 Gear Ratio
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:31:33 AM »
New on this Site and searching for Info on changing the rear Pumpkin or whole rear Axle on my Neoplan AN440.Has anybody here found Gears or has done a Swap to a MCI or Semi rearend??

I'm looking to get my Cruise Rpms down,to get the 6v92 in its sweet spot.
Also anyone here,who swapped to a manual overdrive Transmission??

I know that there are endless discussions about manual to auto and back!! So I'm not starting a new threat here.Searching for Members who run a manual transmission on a 6V92.!! How does it perform??? what are the Problems???Best parts and parts Donors to use etc...

Offline luvrbus

• Gold Donor
Re: Neoplan AN 440 Gear Ratio
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:00:30 AM »
If you had a DDEC IV 6V92 a Eaton 10 speed auto shift would be the way to go.

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline NeoplanAN440

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »
Thanks for the response!!

yes that was one of my ideas.the problem is that i have a mui (mechanical) engine.
i want to stay with a mechanical engine,as its easier for me to work on the fuel system,and less plumbing (cooling the ecm),as im running WVO.
i read about the eaton that i still could use it as an auto select,so i had to ease off the throttle to activate the shifts.but i never heard about one on a 6v92,and wondering how the sluggish throttle (compared to a ism or even l10)of the 2stroker will work and feel with that tranny combo.

reason im trying to gather more info about my options,is that im a little of a control freak!!
i like the fact that i can service and troubleshoot my engine on the roadside with tools i have on board.i know that the allison is also mostly troublefree,but still would feel better if i had the gears and shiftpoints in my hands!!somehow the "do not shift light" of the atec will always be a story for itself!!

Offline Don Fairchild

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
And I just happen to have two of the 10sp auto sticks. O well.

What part of the world do you hail from.

Don

Offline NeoplanAN440

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:18:21 AM »
I'm staying in Alamogordo New Mexico,next to White Sands.
Came here from from Germany and fell in love with the desert.
Do you know anybody that ever put one of the autoshifts behind a mui detroit??
any idea how drivable it will be???
this combo would take all the guesswork out of the shift linkage!

Offline luvrbus

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:31:02 AM »
I was told by a Eaton guy you could make it work with a throttle sensor on a mechanical engine and you have that for the 748 Allision with your mechanical 6V92

good luck
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:16:37 AM by luvrbus »
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »
I'm staying in Alamogordo New Mexico,next to White Sands.

Funny, we were at White Sands yesterday....

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:19:41 AM »
Trying to make the 10 spd Fuller Autoselect work (where you control the throttle) is just a big pain in the you know what.  And if someone else is trying to drive your bus, they will have a not so good time at it. 
The Allison HT is just a reliable workhorse.  Granted you might be able to squeeze a few more mpg's out of your bus with the 10spd, but for all the work to switch, it just isn't worth it.  You could also switch to a Allison World 3000 series transmissions since they are rated up to 425hp and 1200lb/ft torque now.  Then you would have both a .75 and a .65 overdrive.  Even though the 3000 series World transmission is electronic, all you would need is a simple mechanical throttle position sensor to make it work.  This would be my choice.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 07:06:21 PM »
AutoSelect is horrible compared to all the choices out there.

By AutoSelect, the version that the transmission computer is at the mercy of the throttle pedal, and by association, the driver is at the mercy of the transmission computer...

The computer will only shift if the throttle is used the way it wants, and the engine revs respond.

Do not consider one unless you have first hand experience in driving one.

In a Sewer Sucker Vacuum truck, twin axle, heavy unit pumper truck, it rarely could make the 2-3 shift starting up a 5-6% grade from the lights... If you were lucky, you grabbed 3rd, and then had to hope you nailed the rest of the shifts, if you were unlucky, it went back into 2nd, as road speed dropped faster than the engine revs, if you screwed up, it went to neutral and you started rolling backwards.

The next generation after AutoSelect, of the automated transmissions, that the driver just floors the accelerator, and the transmission and engine computers take care matching the revs for gear changes are lovely.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline NeoplanAN440

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »
Thanks for all the responses!

i know the autoshift with a Cummins ISM or behind a 60 Detroit,but couldnt see it work with the 6v92.

the reason for my questions is only to get my cruising rpms down.
i dont need to go faster and the mpg is not important as im running free fuel (WVO).
my 6v92 was just rebuild when i got it from LACTMA and should have some miles left.
im just not happy with the idea of the atec.
even that it never gave me trouble and should have been rebuild when the engine came in.
i had a few times that the do not shift light came on.we found a problem in the kneeling circuit.
so again
anybody here thats driving a manual transmission
like a roadranger rto910
or a 13 speed overdrive
with a detroit two stroke in his bus??

i know how they feel in this combo from cabovers,but how much trouble will the long shift linkage and air throttle be in a 40 footer!!??
anybody played with the later style cable shifter???
also i dont want a stock 5 speed like the 11605
i need some lower gears and a good clutch as im always pulling a 10k +trailer

as for the allison 3000 or the b500
with the prices on used trucks falling like rocks and CA with its emission ideas killing all the truckers.
its pretty easy to find a good 60 or ism engine and mate it to a b500
i just have no feedback on running these on WVO.
even being a trained diesel mechanic,im a little stuck in time,and still like the all mechanical engines.
like the idea of repairing and troubleshooting without downloading or setting up link connections!!
explains maybe why im living off grid on an old lister engine that burns my waste oil!!
but thats just me!
anybody that has some miles on his belt running one of these on WVO???

thanks to all,for the help to a newbie on this site.