Author Topic: Dyno testing of large diesel engines?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline muddog16

• Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop
    • Prevost LeMirage Conversion
Dyno testing of large diesel engines?
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:38:01 AM »
I didn't want to steal the other thread being discussed so I started this one!   When I had the 8V92TA rebuilt at Jasper Engines, part of the deal was a dyno test and documentation of that test!  Which Jasper fulfilled!   My question is this, I noticed that when I was at the DD place (not Jasper Engines) they were testing a engine in the shop, it was sitting on the concrete hooked up to hoses for water and fuel......they mentioned dyno testing..........???????????????

From my racing years and friendship with engine people in racing I know what a state of the art dyno room looks like.........are diesels tested the same way or do they just fire it up on the floor and guess at a horsepower/torque ratings?......I've been puzzled by this for quite a while.....
Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/

Offline Don Fairchild

Re: Dyno testing of large diesel engines?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:03:38 AM »
Muddog;

A lot of people do run there engines on a buck or stand just to make sure they run and don't leak anything.

If you will go to cctskit.com and look under our technology you will see one of the dyno's we use. That one is a 600 hp one and I also have a 1200hp Dyno. I can put them together and get 1800hp of load on the engines.

We also have a 400KW load bank and can have Valley come over with there 500KW load bank and can run 900KW of load on a gen set if needed.

There are a few shops around the U.S that have load cells to Dyno there engine. Delaney&Ahlf, Valley, Jasper, Gem Equipment come to mind. I know there ere others out there with the ability to Dyno an engine.

Hope that helps

Don

Offline muddog16

• Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop
    • Prevost LeMirage Conversion
Re: Dyno testing of large diesel engines?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 06:53:53 PM »
Thanks Don, that looks more like I'm familiar with......I just wasn't sure!  Hey Don if you see this check my other thread out and see if you might reconize the power steering pump reduction drive I'm looking for!  Thanks again!
Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal