Author Topic: Vs2-8 Vs. V730  (Read 5076 times)

Offline mycol

Vs2-8 Vs. V730
« on: July 30, 2006, 08:45:51 PM »
I just blew my vs2-8 on a grade in NV and am going to buy a v730 tranny is it a better hillclimber? The bus is a am general 1975 recon transit conversion with a dd 8v71.  How hard is the swap going to be and what might I need to know? I have a very limmited amount of time to get this done and I want to solve any problems I might run into. Any info at al will help I need to get this back on the road asap!

Offline TomC

Re: Vs2-8 Vs. V730
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 09:27:57 PM »
I also have an AMGeneral 10240B 1977 transit.  Looks just like yours except without the A/C hump in the top rear of the roof.  I also have the 8V-71N, but with the V730.  The main difference is that I have a floor shifter with R-N-3-2-1 so I can manually shift the trans.  I highly recommend you change to the V730 since you can get 1st gear lockup to go up long hills.  I assume that's what killed your transmission is the long grade going up in converter mode.  On mine I manually shift from 3-2 at 46mph, then when the trans goes into 2nd gear converter mode, I shift to first with my foot on the floor, then raise up the gas pedal about an inch, and you can feel the trans bump back into lockup, where I go up the hill at about 32mph without heating up the transmission since the converter is locked up. 
The easiest way to change the transmission will be to pull the entire engine cradle.  The bus was made to do this, and you can get it ready to pull out in just a few hours.  You'll need a 6,000lb fork lift and some big blocks to rest the cradle once it is out.  As to the differences in mounting between the two, I can't tell you.  What I will tell you is that when I bought my bus I looked at a few before I found this one with the V730 in it-that's how strongly I feel about it.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 11:33:07 PM »
Mycol, the V730 will definitely climb hills better because it is geared quie a bit lower than the VS2-8. You'll lose some top-end speed, however. And MPGs at highway speeds, too, because of the higher rpms. It'll also go down hills better because you can use the range selector to moderate your speed. You will have to add a cable shifter or air shifter to accomodate this change.

The V730 is a more modern transmission with a true three-speed and lockup torque converter. They're very bulletproof when driven properly. I've driven both, and much prefer the V730, even if I get less MPGs doing so.

Tom, OK, this is the second time I've heard you mention lockup in first on the V730 and I'm very interested, living here near the Rockies. I've gotta try your technique!

Thanks,
Brian
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline tekebird

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 03:19:20 PM »
Dad just drove home an 08 with the Vs2-8.

His perspective is that it outperforms the V730 in most conditions. He has not compared top end on either but he says the VS climbs alot better than the 730

Offline TomC

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 04:12:50 PM »
That might be true that it climbs better, that is until you get on a long grade that the VS2-8 drops into converter mode and starts creating a tremendous amount of heat.  That's what started this thread with Mycool's AMGeneral burning up his VS2-8 on a long grade.  On the V730 (at least mine with an air controlled throttle modulator since I have an air throttle), when the bus is slowing down on the grade, you first will down shift from 3rd lockup to 2nd lockup.  The next what feels like a down shift is the transmission going from lockup to converter mode in 2nd.  When this happens, then pull the shifter (I have a 3-2-1-N-R shifter on the floor) down into 1st and the transmission will shift to 1st converter spinning the engine alot faster.  Then pull up your foot about an inch off the floor and you should feel the transmission bump back into lockup mode.  You can go up a hill with minimal heating on the transmission as long as it is in lockup mode.  Suggestion- the gap between 1st and 2nd is pretty big, so when you get up to the top of the mountain and want to shift up, first floor the gas pedal again (remember you had the gas pedal up about an inch for lockup), and that will put the transmission back into converter mode, then manually shift it into 2nd converter for a much smoother shift then when the converter is locked up.  Sounds confusing-but once this technique is perfected, climbing even a long grade in 100 degree weather should not be a problem-course you'll be going only about 32 mph!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Paso One

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 06:32:10 PM »
One thing that has not been mentioned is the hole in the bulkhead that the trans goes thru will have to be a whole lot bigger.  The vs2-8 is very small in diameter compared to the V730. I don't believe the hole will acomadate the V730 without modification and reinforcement.  Which of coarse is not a big deal but thought I would point it out.
68 5303 Fishbowl 40'x102" 6V92 V730 PS, Air shift  4:10 rear axle. ( all added )
1973 MC-5B 8V71 4 speed manual
1970 MC-5A  8V71 4 speed manual
1988 MCI 102 A3 8V92T  4 speed manual (mechanical)
1996 MCI 102 D3 C10  Cat engine 7 speed manual  (destined to be a tiny home )

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 07:30:38 PM »
If I had a VS2-8 and a V730 I would seriously consider contacting Bill Teal for the book on how to combine the two and have a 4 speed with overdrive. I have a VS2-8 in my 06 with a 5:55 rear end to end up with a slight overdrive and 3 speeds, works pretty well considering I live and travel the mountains.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 10:39:43 PM »
Only problem is that you can't get hold of Bill Teal anymore. I'd like to have that overdrive unit on my transmission since I've turbocharged and have more power.  With the extra overdrive, I could cruise at 1700rpm at 75mph!  Good Luck, TomC

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 06:15:09 PM »
Tom, Ive just talked to bill Teal and he is still live and kicking contrary to rumor, if you are interested contact Bill at    w_teal@msn.com. I think he has still got the book he produced for the modification.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline mycol

Thanks for recommending Bill
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
I haven't posted here in years. I was on a deadline of just a couple of weeks. I ended up talking to Bill taking my original tranny out putting it in the back of my truck and headed straight for Bill. He is a Guru and for sure the last of his kind. He had the very first bus ever made and a couple of his babys in a few of his huge garages. He took the time to show me around and talked me out of such a major project. He fixed my tranny for such a good price I couldn't even believe it and want to mention how much for respect. He explained he used to work in Alaska running those same exact set-up's I have same engine same tranny on a impossible grade. My one major problem was the person I bought the bus from had plumbed the tranny wrong. (thank god I took step by step pics)Bill took one look for like 5-10 seconds and said yep this is wrong. I have never worked on a bus until I got that one running and I was learning as I went. I also was using transmission fluid in that bus tranny (heavy duty of coarse). He told me to use the same exact oil I was running in my 8v71n Detroit and to use it in the tranny because of the heat normal tranny fluid wasn't strong enough. He also showed me how tricky it is to get a accurate reading on the transmission fluid levels and showed me how to do that as well. He drew me a diagram on how to plumb it right It, and I put the fixed transmission back in and it has ran like a charm ever since! When Bill is out of the business it will be a great tragedy! All the knowledge that will be lost with him will be gone forever. He has been working on busses since his early teens and he loves everything about them. Thank You so much for recommending me to him you saved my @$# big time!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal