Author Topic: Roof paint  (Read 12211 times)

Offline john9861

Re: Roof paint
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »
John,
       In my area getting the bus spray foamed is about $1700. That doesn't include shaving. It also has no guaruntee against warping the siding from the heat during the curing process. Anyway the boards I have were $3 each. So I think you can see why I was interested in seeing if it would be enough. Also for me A/C is more of a concern. Anyway, it was a thought. Thanks, John
John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 02:07:05 AM »
John9861,

At three bucks a sheet I think I would do the sheets.  The R factor delta between them is only "1" so or performance they are pretty much equal but spray is better

At three bucks I want some ::) ;D No kidding though, if you are a source I think many would want your help.

Ruthi,

I think if you read my post again you will See that the ceramic is a BETTER insulation than foam.  Problem is that you would have to build up many coats.  I didn't price the ceramic paint but I think in the past it came in very expensive and out of the question for getting R14 in the walls.  Being white it will do a great job at reflecting sun loading.  That will make it appear to have high R value but in reality R value is a resistance to transmit radiated or conduction.  The ice cube test is a heat conduction test.  That test proves that the ceramic has some R value  I don't know why the mfr doesn't spec an R value.  Heck, there is even a spec for plywood or brick or stone.  The stuff did way better than I expected but then I thought this was the little glass bead thing again.  I learned something here, Ruthi.  I was going to give the remainder of the quart  was given away to any bus Knut that wanted it.  Changed my mind on that and will keep it as it has "special applications" performance.

Thanks again,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 02:19:23 AM »
Gus,

Use a high quality auto single stage paint like Emron/acrylic enamel/acrylic laquer/poly???.  Talk to your painter supply store.  You can paint this yourself.  You need masking machine...$30.  Masking plastic10 foot width folded....$40,  blue tape....$60,   Paint @$200...., and other products for dewaxing and sanding guess $100, Harbor Freight spray gun on sale for $29 fully adjustable and a DA sander with it.  And $30 worth of rolled round sanding discs from the paint supply..  And a place with still air and compressor air that has no oil and wet down the road or parking lot or building floor very well before painting.  Be sure you use whatever breathing equipment the shop recommends.  The finished paint will be a little rough but it is on the roof.

Good luck with this,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline James77MCI8

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 08:00:33 PM »
I stopped buy and visited with Ruthi and Ken last night during my quarterly run to Georgia, I don't know all of the specifics of everything that they have done to their Dina conversion but it is one nice piece of equipment. On the insulation part I am totally amazed at the inside temperature of their coach, considering that both windshields and all the side windows are currently out of the coach. Last night the temperature in Georgia was around 40 degrees F, a slight breeze was blowing and it was raining. The only source of heat in the coach was two incandescent work lights(100W)  hung inside the coach. The entrance door was open also. Their coach was comfortably warm! What ever Ken and Ruthi have done in the way of insulation, ceramic coatings and sealing has definitely payed off. Great job guys.  As I said last night, "This coach is going to turn some heads!"
77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd

Offline ruthi

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »
Thanks Rusty, ;D Glad you got to come by and visit. Now, there were tarps hanging on the windows, lol. We will plan next time we head your way of trying to make time to stop by your place.  Ruthi
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline john9861

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 06:55:43 AM »
So Ruthi,
            How did you guys insulate your walls & overhead.
Thanks, John
John Mellis
Bowman, SC

Offline mikke60

• Out with old, in with the not as old
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »
More on the same topic. Has anyone used the procuct called snow roof? Made by the same man. as kool seal. Also,should the seams be sealed prior too,after, or atall,when using kool seal?

thanks, mike

Offline ruthi

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 04:35:29 PM »
John, First we sprayed ceramic coating on the walls, and the floor. Put ceramic on the roof. At the ceiling it is spray foamed, and the bottom of the walls is spray foamed. We put three quarter inch foam board  on the floor. The walls have two and three quarter inch foam board. Ceiling has additional fiberglass insulation in  and around ac duct work. Also, we filled all the steel tubing wall supports with spray foam. We drilled a small hole in each to get it inside. We have a total R rating on the walls of 14.3.

Offline john9861

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »
Rock & Roll! I bet you could hang meat in that baby. Great job. 8)
John Mellis
Bowman, SC

Offline belfert

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 07:17:16 PM »
John, First we sprayed ceramic coating on the walls, and the floor. Put ceramic on the roof. At the ceiling it is spray foamed, and the bottom of the walls is spray foamed. We put three quarter inch foam board  on the floor. The walls have two and three quarter inch

Curious, did you leave the factory spray foam on the ceiling, or did you have it redone?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline ruthi

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 06:18:06 AM »
We left it.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 07:22:38 AM »
Guys we all do it different it was me doing a bus I would use the hot spray on bed lining materail on the roof it has a r valve, sound deaden properties,structural strength , tuff as nails and never need maintenance can be sprayed on smooth and leak proof for ever and not that much difference in price.

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline rwc

• No longer will be Now AM
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2010, 10:54:21 AM »
The only problem with the hot spray bedliner is that it does not come in white.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2010, 11:05:13 AM »
RWC, a friend of mine in ALB NM sprays the liner stuff in white Smiths Ultimate Lining he has done several buses check his web site,he does any color you like.The stuff is used for highway stripping now that is also a job he does

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline rwc

• No longer will be Now AM
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
Thanks  I will keep that in mind because that would really seal the top after all your vets etc was installed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal