Author Topic: What would you do  (Read 11286 times)

Offline busnut104

What would you do
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:18:58 AM »
Well I took my dump truck with a 8v-92 to the DD garage, needs a rebuild. I only put around 4 to 5 thousand miles on this truck a year. Then main reason for the concern is that if you leave it idle for a couple of minutes it will really smoke till you get it hot and run for a while then it seam to clear up. I was hoping that it only needed blower seals, but the shop says it is more then that, This is not a new truck but is in very good shape and would cost a lot to replace, but I'm not a spring chicken and probably will only need this truck a couple of year at the most. I use it to move my equipment and haul a little stone and shale. the main trucking I hire done, cheaper. The way I look at it these are  my options, Do nothing and run it, bad for the air. Do a in frame cost around 7500.00  try to find a good take out eng. Or hear is the biggie, I have a new 8v-92 in the bus, I have had the bus for sale for over two year and asking less the half what I have in it and have asked for offers. so far no serious takers. I could take out the 92 and part the bus out and recoup a fraction of the cost, I have no plans of using it and it is in my garage and I could use the space. With that being said, It would be a lot of work but there is a lot of parts new and good used to sell if I should take this rout, What would you do, I guess I'm undecided and need a shove one way or the other.       

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Re: What would you do
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:36:49 AM »
Where are you advertising your bus?
Just curious.
I have an 8v92 out of a dumptruck that is going to need a lot of retrofitting (yours would too probably) I would be interested in seeing what youre selling.
Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline Paso One

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:43:33 AM »
Well have you thought of taking the engine out of the bus put in in the truck for the 2 years, use it as needed to make your living.

Leave the bus sitting its not going to be worth any less.

You can put it back into the bus when your finished using it in the truck.

One good thing is it will give you 2 years to find the deal  on the 8V92 that always appears when you don't need one :)
68 5303 Fishbowl 40'x102" 6V92 V730 PS, Air shift  4:10 rear axle. ( all added )
1973 MC-5B 8V71 4 speed manual
1970 MC-5A  8V71 4 speed manual
1988 MCI 102 A3 8V92T  4 speed manual (mechanical)
1996 MCI 102 D3 C10  Cat engine 7 speed manual  (destined to be a tiny home )

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 05:57:23 AM »
FWIW get a second opinion on the rebuild.  Times are slow and this may be a make work project.  Bunch of smoke after idling could be something other than a rebuild.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 05:58:22 AM »
If you can't sell the bus for 1/2, expect to part it out for even less.

The coach is worth scrap money without an engine.

That being said, a dump truck, even an old one, with a good running engine will sell easier than a coach conversion, and the world will see a more consistent value for it.

You have some math to do, check the various buy & sell/auto trader/e-bay/craigslist/kijijij....

See which combination of your stuff might get the best return, scrap the rest to empty the garage?

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline RickB

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:18:24 AM »
Another thought... Gumpy and I went and looked at an 8V92 Diesel Service reman in a farm implement ( A terra gator) in a town called Wilmar Minnesota.

I didn't buy it for a number of reasons the #1 reason is they have used 15/40 synthetic in it . It had more hours than they said (probably somewhere around 3000hrs/150k miles although if you ask them it only has 13k miles on it but Craig and I realized that's because they were only going 3-5 mph 98% of the time). It's on craigslist if you do the google craigslist.org trick it will let you search the entire database just put in 8v92 and it will come up. They are asking 5k but if you're not in a hurry maybe this guy will realize that he's asking 5k for a motor that cost 10k new and has used over half of it's useful life and what some consider to be the wrong oil. If you could get it for 3500 to 4k it may be a good deal and considering how many miles you use your dumptruck a year it could outlast the chassis. So, if you like many others here don't mind the synthetic oil maybe this would be a good motor for your dumptruck. A couple real positives were it's incredibly clean, they'll let you pull it in their shop and they have loading equipment and it has a couple really good accessories, a good 12 volt alternator and a hydraulic rig that Gumpy thought we could use to level my bus.

The biggest reason I almost bought it is I like the reman is they redo "everything" fuel pump, water pump, governor, blower, turbo... everything. Same motor in the box today is $12500.

The things you would have to switch from motor to motor to put your bus motor in your dumptruck are probably quite numerous. Chances are you would have to change bellhousings (if you have an MCI for sure), oil cooler (maybe), oil pan and pickup, (maybe), water pump, starter, it would be a good weekend worth of work just to switch them if you work carefully. I'm sure for guys who have done the switchover it would be quicker but I bet it will take me days just to find the parts I need to switch mine over.

Good luck on this and keep us informed. I am always surprised by the stories of the difference between when a local trucker/hauler would change out a motor compared to busnuts who travel long distances with their family. They might say you have another 100k in that motor of yours!!

Rick

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 07:02:54 AM »
Rick, I can't find it on CL can you email me a # if nothing else I want the engine for the heads and crank the 15/40 synthetic oil not a problem for me thanks

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline wildbob24

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:05:35 AM »
P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
PD4106-2546, 8V71, 4sp
Greenville, GA

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 07:21:29 AM »
Thanks Bob I want the 8922 heads from that engine   

good luck

Offline TomC

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 08:13:06 AM »
You know the engine in your dump truck.  As long as it hasn't been over heated, you could get by with a simple piston ring replacement and bearings.  That would probably get down towards $5,000.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline RickB

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 08:24:35 AM »
Clifford this is the motor i asked you about the serial# last week.

Serial# is 131166

They had oil sample analysis for up to 06 but the ones for the last couple years were "missing". Gumpy and i didn't like that much. I did take an oil sample if you'd like me to send it in for you I will. It's prepaid by the owner.

Let me know,
Busnout 104 I agree with Tom C if you could just do kits and the blower you may spend alot less. If you pull and clean the blower, heads and intake/turbo you could save yourself alot of money as well.
Good luck
Rick

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »
I guess I am not as environmentally concerned as the other posters, but from what you said, you have a problem if you leave the truck idling.  It then smokes until it gets a bit of a workout.  Is it still doing its job other than that?  I would lean toward using it for a while and not letting it idle much. In the meantime, keeping an eye out for a good, used swap engine.  Whatever the engine swap ends of costing will increase the value of the truck and should mostly come back to you when you sell it.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline RickB

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »
Clifford,

I am strongly in favor of you buying this motor I'll even help you pull it. I would be the happiest camper in the world to be able to watch, listen and learn if you decide to get it.

I got a bunch of tools and I'm sure Gumpy would have any tools you might need to pull it. Gumpy's got more tools than most Home Depot's.

Busnut...Sorry if I steered this away from your original post and the offer to help goes for you as well.

Rick

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »
I made him a offer Rick he wants to wait and see if he gets a better one.  
How is the weather in late Feb there, remember now I live in AZ 70 and up lol.
 I'll wait and see if he starts playing games

good luck

Offline RickB

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 12:28:28 PM »
Clifford,

It's a heckuva lot colder than that !!! They have a nice, big, well equipped heated shop. Was the owner nice to you? His demeanor was, shall we say, questionable. He looked like he was swatting a fly that was pestering him, when we were talking, and then I realized I was the fly!!!

Good luck and we'd be glad to have you here and to help out.

Rick

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal