Author Topic: T & G ceiling anyone ?  (Read 6153 times)

Offline travelingfools

T & G ceiling anyone ?
« on: January 30, 2010, 08:33:32 AM »
Has anyone used tongue and grove pine for their ceilings ? We are planning on using it and painting it a high gloss white. At the seams, there will be 3 inch pine boards running perpindicular stained to match our lower wood, and would house led lights. I plan to leave a 2 inch gap under the trim boards at the seams to allow for access to the roof for running wires for the future. Looking for a pic and/or problems you may have encountered installing. Im trying to learn from others mistakes...something new for me..lol.
John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: T & G ceiling anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 08:36:44 AM »
I've seen it and it looks  good!  Any time I have installed T&G I have had issues with expansion/contraction with changes in humidity.  I have individual boards in my bathroom that expand/contract close to 1/16" - go from no gap to close to  1/8" gap between boards.  I would think about how to deal with that.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
    • Creative Custom Cabinetry
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 08:46:33 AM »
I used T&G oak on our ceiling, I first put up 3/4 lauan plywood then I put the oak up it is only 3/16" thick by 3 1/4" wide, I used construction adhesive and brad nailed the tongue to the plywood, I have had no issues with expansion and contraction. I also have a lot of it in my house and no issues with it. Look at my photo bucket for some pictures. Jason

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »
can get thin (3/16"?) t&G look 4x8 panels.  Easier and faster to install, looks the same as the thin T&G and is you are painting it anyway, easier to paint (already primed)  Also unless you get clear pine ($$$$) some of the knots will bleed even if you seal them with white shellac/zinzer  whatever.  Problem with the panels is they are awkward and less forgiving if you miss a measurement.

Offline travelingfools

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:32:09 AM »
can get thin (3/16"?) t&G look 4x8 panels.  Easier and faster to install, looks the same as the thin T&G and is you are painting it anyway, easier to paint (already primed)  Also unless you get clear pine ($$$$) some of the knots will bleed even if you seal them with white shellac/zinzer  whatever.  Problem with the panels is they are awkward and less forgiving if you miss a measurement.

Kinda like the fake wainscoting ? Thats what we are using under the windows..
John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT

cody

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »
One thing to watch for on knotty pine paneling is the knots, any knot that has a black ring around it will dry up and fall out, look for knots that have a red ring around them, those knots will never come loose.

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »
Sorry I meant 5/16",TYPO, My supplier will make it out of any species of wood you like. The 4x8 panels are alright but you can tell it's plywood in the beaded grooves. Jason

Offline belfert

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
I used T&G oak on our ceiling, I first put up 3/4 lauan plywood then I put the oak up it is only 3/16" thick by 3 1/4" wide, I used construction adhesive and brad nailed the tongue to the plywood, I have had no issues with expansion and contraction. I also have a lot of it in my house and no issues with it. Look at my photo bucket for some pictures. Jason

What did you did you use for the top half of the walls above the wainscoting on the walls?  Does the T&G on the ceiling have the same molding pattern as the wainscoating on the walls?

I really like the look.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 12:34:27 PM »
Brian,
On the top half of the walls I used a Laminate it was a Formica brand #6203(Plaster Rust, Riverwash Finish) it is textured and sorta looks like wall paper but more durable. And the wainscoating is the same as the ceiling, It's a very warm look. Jason

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 03:26:51 PM »
Sorry I meant 5/16",TYPO, My supplier will make it out of any species of wood you like. The 4x8 panels are alright but you can tell it's plywood in the beaded grooves. Jason
I think it's MDF or something and painted looks good enough

Offline belfert

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »
Brian,
On the top half of the walls I used a Laminate it was a Formica brand #6203(Plaster Rust, Riverwash Finish) it is textured and sorta looks like wall paper but more durable. And the wainscoating is the same as the ceiling, It's a very warm look. Jason

What kind of surface did you install the laminate on?  Any issues with the laminate showing any uneven features below the laminate?

Where would one get laminate in large sheets locally?  I see it is available in 5x12 sheets.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »
30 years ago when we did our schoolie, we used t&g pine. Predrilled every hole and used screws to fasten it. We use a clear seal on it cause we were into the rustic look. It turned out beautiful, sorry no pictures. Never had any problems with expansion or contraction either. I think Moose lodge conversions are done along the same lines.
Good luck, Will

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »
Brian,
I lined the walls and ceiling with 3/4" lauan plywood, If there was ant high spots at the seams I eather sanded or filled in to make it smooth and flush so nothing showed. and as far as buying the laminate any lumber yard or cabinet shop will be able to get you the 5x12' sheets. It helps when you own a cabinet shop to get this stuff. Jason

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal