Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Onan Quiet Diesel Model 3.2 HDZAA-6508X3 generator?  (Read 16892 times)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Remember that circuit breakers are supposed to be loaded to no more than 80% of nominal on a continuous basis.  So 30 amps is 24 amps.  Continuous load is a steady load for over three hours, and heat is the issue.  Breakers are apparently rated at 104 degrees F in free air, and obviously all of mine  are in enclosed boxes right beside other heat sources.

Anyway, I have a Yamaha 3000 watt gas generator.  the choice was far more economics, size, and noise level than anything else, it runs my one AC unit and charges my batteries and lets me run my block heater when it's cold out.  But I have tripped the breaker on it, hence it is de facto too small.  But I knew that and accepted the energy management issues when I chose it, so I'm good with that.

I have a question about the big diesel generators.  Don't they offer some serious problems with noise and vibration?  they must have a fairly decent sized engine running there.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
    Not sure what you consider "BIG", but I can tell you about the PowerTech line (the only brand I am familiar with).  Last time I was at their place, several years ago, the 10 & 12 KW use a 4 cylinder kubota diesel engine.  They were using a turbocharged 4 cylinder on the 17 & 20 KW. The smaller 7 & 8 KW use a 3 cylinder kubota.
   Noise level varies a lot depending on location, baffling, and sound insulation.  Vibration can also vary depending on mounting differences.
   Compared to our old gas Onan 6.5, our PowerTech 9 KW (10KW head on a 3 cylinder Kubota) is quieter but a slight vibration that I feel through the bus floor.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline luvrbus

My diesel generator is quite and I use no muffler but like Jack I had some vibration till I removed it from the slideout with air bags and installed jell bags.
A slideout will transfer vibration but the way some generators are installed it is a must but I remote mounted all my filters and did away with the slide and I am very happy with the results.

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline usbusin

• '60 PD4104-4355 (sold) and '01 Freightliner (sold)
luvrbus, what are "jell bags" and where can I see the specs on them?  My 8kw Powertech Kubota transfers  vibration through the factory mounts and I'd like to eliminate the vibration if the jell bags are not too thick as I don't have a lot of vertical clearance.  Let us know where the specs can be located.  Thanks so much.
Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years (150,000 miles)
USTRUCKIN was our 2001 Freightliner Truck Conversion for 19 years (135,000 miles)
We are busless and truckless after 35 years of traveling

Offline luvrbus

Gary, I bought mine from West Marine 2 in thick x 3 1/2 in round 2 bolts on the bottom and a stud on the top.
They are a little pricey over 200 bucks for 4 my understanding Dick Wright sell the jell bags now.

good luck

Offline belfert

Not sure what you consider "BIG", but I can tell you about the PowerTech line (the only brand I am familiar with).  Last time I was at their place, several years ago, the 10 & 12 KW use a 4 cylinder kubota diesel engine.  They were using a turbocharged 4 cylinder on the 17 & 20 KW. The smaller 7 & 8 KW use a 3 cylinder kubota.

Powertech also used the Cat (Perkins) engine too for the smaller 8KW generators at one point.  They offered a choice of either when I bought my unit.  I would have choosen the Kubota, but they only had a Cat in stock.  It appears they no longer offer the Cat engine.  This was back in 2006 and at the time I was pushing hard to leave in under 6 weeks so I needed a genny right now.  (It turns out I never went anywhere that year due to other issues.)
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline TomC

Powertech makes a really neat 8kw compact generator with built in squirrel cage blower.  This is the exact unit that a friend of mine had on his big rig truck with ARI sleeper that had 23,000 hours on it when it was sold. On the engine, he replaced one water pump, and had the alternator end rebuilt once-not bad!.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline usbusin

• '60 PD4104-4355 (sold) and '01 Freightliner (sold)
Thanks, luvrbus I'll check them out.
Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years (150,000 miles)
USTRUCKIN was our 2001 Freightliner Truck Conversion for 19 years (135,000 miles)
We are busless and truckless after 35 years of traveling

Offline Utahclaimjumper

My 7.5 quite onan is 60 decibells at ten feet and NO vibs.>>>Dan PS: left it running all night the last time out because didnt know it was running!!
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline gus

Save yourself a bunch of $$ and weight and get a gas, water cooled, quiet, smooth 6KW Honda EV6010.

The only down side is you have to construct your own box, the side clearances for incoming cooling are are critical, and you need a separate gas tank. However, the results are worth it.

Don't get caught up in this myth that 3600rpm gensets are no good, it makes absolutely no difference what the rpms are, what counts is smoothness.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
What does a decent Honda go for?

Offline luvrbus

Brian, I am not telling not to buy a Honda it is your money I do work on those sometimes and parts are very expensive for the EV6010 here are some prices on replacement parts I have bought then you can make up your own mind and they were generators with 1500 or less hours

radiator        500.00 and shops will not repair one
coil              100.00
fuel pump      150.00
fan              200.00
water pump   125.00
voltage reg   350.00   

good luck

Offline gus

Those prices are truly a shock but maybe not in comparison with some of the Onan prices from Cummins I've seen posted.

Good thing I didn't see these before I bought it because I'm cheap!

It cost around $4200 including the muffler kit and shipping. You also have to build the box.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal