Author Topic: What injectors did my 8V92 come with??  (Read 11328 times)

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
What injectors did my 8V92 come with??
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:03:15 AM »
Serial # 8VF091830

Been seeing alot of good deals on 9A90 injectors I am guessing that is what my motor has in it but I should check the Human database here for comfirmation. Clifford, Don etc...

I can either pay $90 for them rebuilt from DD or I've seen them at $20 a piece online reliabilts... Any thoughts on shelf life of these things?

I will call my mechanic as well to see if he can pull a valve cover and look for me.

Thanks rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline Don Fairchild

Re: What injectors did my 8V92 come with??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:03:41 PM »
Rick;

Just got off the phone with my DD guy your engine came from the factory with 9A90 injectors part #5229630
It also came with 8926245 3J28 3X167 camshafts. Set the injectors at 1.475 your engine is set at around 450HP.

I have never had any luck with reliabuilt injectors

Listen, I was reading one of your other threads, never let a project get in the way of your family. You can always wrap this engine up and push it over in the corner and come back to it later.

Call me at 8884763626

Don

Offline RickB

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »
Man that is good to know about the reliabilts. I bet everyone here just assumed they were as good as OEM. Thanks Don, I will steer away from that idea and thanks for the comments about my family, it tells alot about the character of the folks of this board that so many have said that to me through this process,

It's all good,

Rick

Offline belfert

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »
I'm confused.  Aren't the remanufactured parts from Detroit labeled as Reliabilt?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 01:50:02 PM »
Brian,

I think the protocol for "Reliabilt" products are that any authorized Detroit service centers are trained by DD to rebuild parts and they can package and sell parts in "relaibilt" packaging. The reason I think, and I stress the word think here, that that is indeed the case is that C&J rebuilt my injectors and one failed within 200 miles but because they are not an authorized detroit service center the warranty was invalid. Reliabilt parts usually come with a warranty. Still think that JD should've felt compelled to pay for my repairs but that is water long under the bridge.

As far as Don's comment I assume that because injectors are a high repetitive use item it is hard to restore them to OEM specs and that you also have to take into consideration the "talent" level of individuals to do rebuild them right. How many times have each of us called around for service on a two stroke and they reply that the last guy that knew anything about them either died or retired? You have to figure that with the drying up of the the two stroke gene pool we are possibly gonna see less quality in our repairs.

That said, I am learning that if certain individuals here have tried something and have had the misfortune of having to learn what not to do from their experiences I have a great opportunity to take advantage of their hard earned lessons. That's just my point of view on that of course.

Maybe on bigger items the warranty makes it doable, trubo's blowers etc. but when it comes to injectors I think I will heed Don's advice. The guys probably changed out a couple thousand of them. Those with more experience feel free to comment on my uneducated guess regarding reliabilt products because the rest of us are all ears i'm sure.
Rick
R

T

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 01:56:44 PM »
I have a Reliabilt remanufactured 8v92TA I bought and installed in my Eagle in 2000. I've had absolutely no problems with it. Mine came with 9A98 injectors in it. It is a 1984 engine updated to 2000 specs.

Here's what a quick search says. The article doesn't mention two strokes but I have one and I know there are a lot of them in use in Canada.

Detroit Diesel Remanufacturing Corporation Says Remanufactured vs. Rebuilding Is Really No Contest
TOOELE, Utah, Sept. 8 -- While today's hard-working diesel engines from Detroit Diesel Corporation (DDC) commonly log up to one million miles or more, eventually every fleet manager and owner/operator will have to consider a service option to maintain engine performance.

Deciding whether to install an OEM-supplied remanufactured engine or use an independent rebuilder to perform a rebuild can be a tough choice. But there are compelling reasons to consider an OEM remanufactured product, according to Jim Morrow, president of Detroit Diesel Remanufacturing Corporation.

The Basic Difference

"First of all, let's clarify the difference between a remanufactured engine and one that is rebuilt. Our reliabilt(R) Series 60(R), MBE 900 and MBE 4000 engines are totally remanufactured, returning them to the latest blueprint specifications and tested to original equipment standards," explains Morrow. "The typical rebuilt engine is only repaired to the level of failure. That means any components beyond this level are left intact. And testing procedures often vary among individual rebuilders."

A Question of Quality

Quality is perhaps the most significant difference between the remanufactured and rebuilt engine according to Morrow. "All components of our reliabilt engines are remanufactured to meet original specifications, or they are replaced with only genuine DDC components."

But in the "fix what broke" scenario of the rebuilt engine, many other remanufacturing operations replace only failed components and a short list of wear items. This carries the risk of unpredictable service life.

Taking It to the Next Level

Performance upgrades are yet another advantage to remanufactured engines. "When you replace your current engine with a reliabilt engine, you're getting today's Detroit Diesel technology -- because we incorporate the latest engineering advancements," Morrow noted.

Once assembled, every reliabilt remanufactured engine is tested on DDC factory-specified dynamometers, using new engine performance parameters. This stringent validation process is not available to any other remanufacturer or rebuilder.

You Get What You Pay For

In the short run, a rebuilt engine may seem like the less expensive route to take. But in general, a rebuild will require more downtime than a remanufactured swing engine. This means more time out of operation.

And because rebuilt engines are typically repaired only to the level of failure, there may be downtime later because non-repaired components may not be as durable. reliabilt engines are designed and tested to original equipment specifications, so they're ready for the long haul.

There's another incentive to purchase remanufactured engines and components -- better warranties. For instance, reliabilt Series 60 engines are covered by a standard 2-year/200,000 mile coast-to-coast warranty. In addition, 3-year/500,000 mile extended service coverage plans are available. Many independent rebuilders are unable to provide nationwide warranty coverage.

"With our reliabilt products, customers enjoy the original equipment quality and peace-of-mind they've come to expect from Detroit Diesel Corporation," concluded Morrow.

Detroit Diesel Remanufacturing Corporation, a subsidiary of Detroit Diesel Corporation, remanufactures and markets a complete line of diesel engines and related products in North America, including the reliabilt brand. For more than 40 years, reliabilt has been one of the most respected names in the aftermarket business with ready-to-install products for on-highway and off- highway power-systems.

Detroit Diesel Corporation is the leading manufacturer of on-highway heavy-duty diesel engines for the commercial truck market. The company offers a complete line of engines from 170 to 515 horsepower for the on-highway and vocational markets. Through its corporate headquarters in Detroit, Michigan, Detroit Diesel is engaged in the design, manufacture, sale and service of these products, in addition to supporting alternative and hybrid engine strategies for the commercial truck marketplace. Detroit Diesel is a subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler and part of the Freightliner group of companies.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline RickB

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 02:15:14 PM »
Joe,

The reason that I made the statement that some parts are rebuilt at the service centers themselves is when the relliabilt injectors failed that C&J had just installed in my previous bus the reason they didn't honor the warranty is a non- authorized service center installed them which left us in their shop overnight. This is the Kansas City interstate diesel shop by the way. Well they had a whole upstairs division devoted entirely to Reliabilt rebuilds. they had entire engines, all aux items, trubo's etc. and they rebuilt them, reboxed them and drop shipped from their facility.

Unless they have changed their policy I don't think that all the reliabilt products are coming from one single location but rather from many different locations nationwide. But , Lord knows I could be wrong on this.

Rick

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 02:47:56 PM »
Rick, I don't have any luck with Reliabilt injectors but I would be a little afraid of a 20 dollars injector most of those have just had a new tip from India, have Don get you set from Interstate McBee they do a good job on rebuilding and the largest supplier of aftermarket parts for engines they maybe over 50 bucks now but you will have a better injector.
If you ever saw a blown tip from injector on a 8v92 it is not a pretty sight and a very costly fix spend a little more it will pay off for you it's only money lol
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline RickB

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »
That is ironic Clifford... I just got off the phone with my mechanic and he said he only installs interstate Mcbee injectors. That is encouraging to know you two are on such similar tracks.

Thanks

rick

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 06:02:31 PM »
Rick, please reread the post. I think the following statement applies to parts too.

"First of all, let's clarify the difference between a remanufactured engine and one that is rebuilt. Our reliabilt(R) Series 60(R), MBE 900 and MBE 4000 engines are totally remanufactured, returning them to the latest blueprint specifications and tested to original equipment standards," explains Morrow. "The typical rebuilt engine is only repaired to the level of failure. That means any components beyond this level are left intact. And testing procedures often vary among individual rebuilders."
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle

Offline RickB

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
Joe,

When I spoke with my mechanic about Don's post he agreed and said that the issue he has with the majority of reliabilt things on ebay and craigslist is you don't know how long they have been sitting. He said that long shelf life injectors tend to stick and truth be told unles you're buying them from a dealer as the original purchaser the warranty is void. I think I'm going with the mcbee injectors if I even need them but talk about long shelf life the injectors in my motor haven't been run in a number of years. There I go spending money again.

Offline RickB

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »
Rick, I would start a new thread for the starter. I know I usually don't revisit a thread I have followed a few days.

You can contact the seller to determine if it is a 50DN. Or just ask DD.

For what it's worth, used ones are usually pretty cheap and can be bench tested. They are fine for spares. They can be repaired cheaply also if the stators are good. Or maybe you are looking for one that is not a spare.

I've carried one for 15 years and needed it twice. Once for a stud and once because the installed one quit.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
rick, this won't really help with your problems, but i want you to know that this has been a very informative thread for me.  thanks to you, Clifford, akroyaleagle and Don.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »
FWIW, I love our little MT 39 (I think, don't quote me on it), starter. We used to have the old huge Delco, and that was a pain to replace. Our new one has purred to life every time (doesn't mean that it won't give out on me yet..but). We are going to order a spare to carry with us, because most people don't have a 24V starter laying around.

BTW, I am not saying the MT39 will work for your engine. I am just saying I like the smaller one.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal