Author Topic: MCI 9  (Read 12837 times)

Offline johnboy

MCI 9
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:31:42 PM »
Hello my name is john and i have recently traded for a early 80's model MCI 9. It is already completely gutted with a plywood floor. The bus is in very good condition it just looks ugly from the outside. My family and i (me, my wife, 23 year old son and his fiance) are looking to turn it into a light travel bus. We want the comforts of home just not as luxurious. Meaning were willing to have a tight fit here or there. We will also have some family and friends travelling with us every now and then as well so we need sitting and sleeping room.

Now here is where I'm looking for ideas and experience. I want the layout like this (willing to alter slightly). In the back will be my bedroom i have the bed turned sideways and up against the wall and am going to have it raise up for storeage. Then comes 2 bunks on one side of the bus except i want it to be a full size bunk instead of twin. I have seen where someone has folding bunks with a full on bottom and a twin on top and am intrested in that. Then the bathroom with a hallway on one side kitchen and living area. I have looked all over for layouts for ideas with 2 full rooms and have found none.

I would appreciate any advice or ideas on storage, seating, layouts ....well pretty much anything!!!! Thanks!!

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Re: MCI 9
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »
Welcome John,

You will find most everything you need here.

Welcome and good luck

rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 04:28:31 PM »
John,
   First welcome to the nicest family of nuts, busnuts that is, that you will ever meeet.  Your best bet is to get inside your coach with a tape emasure and a roll of masking tape. Layout your plan on the floor using the masking tape.  I can't give much information on a layout for a bus traveling with that many people. Our bus is designed for Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4 and Sleeps 2.
   Where are located, there may be some fellow busnuts nearby. Also try to attend a bus rally or 2 (or more). That is where we stole borrowed most of the ideas we used on our conversion.  Here is a link to some interior photos of our coach just click on the OBS links on the left side of the page for more coach photos  http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/OBS%20II%20Interior/   Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »
when planning remember your toilet should be located over tank (easiest) and plumbing and drains should be in a direct area to tanks..we use a couch with a queen bed layout in living room..try to keep it easy to repair...Most of all make it work for you....entainer coaches have bunks stacked 3 high on sides,normally have only a small bath with a sink...just bounce ideals off board members and look at other peoples creations.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline johnboy

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 06:34:55 PM »
WOW!!! Jack i loved your bus its beautiful with all of the wood!! My sons fiance is trying to help us with the layout and we havnt thought about the tank and where i need to put it thats a good bit of info robert!!

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 05:21:29 AM »
Thanks, I have as much enjoyment out of building it as I do using it.
Another place to get ideas is to go to an RV dealership or RV show and look at the motorhomes in the 40' range. Just remember that a 102" wide coach floorplan may not fit in a 96" wide coach.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 05:37:33 AM »
I build..KISS...means keep it simple stupid....I need it simple..as you or your designer progresses ask basic questions and build from ground up..first plan on elect ,water,cable and sewer exiting a little in front of driver side rear dual;for easy hook ups...mates up to almost all campgrounds...The madness starts...depend on local bus nuts to help many have extra parts and have made mistakes they can share with you....why buses are good...people you meet....don't need 3 wreckers to remove after a accident...don't normaly fall apart after a year of fulltiming(not all Sticks and staples)......Safety

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 06:00:38 AM »
Hi John,

I have a 2-bedroom layout with a walk through bathroom.

You can see some pictures in the link in my signature ↓

There are also some pictures on Gary’s Delaware rally video and pictures.
 8)
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 06:09:45 AM »
Check the Newell site at one time they built a 2 bedroom model. www.newellcoach.com
Folks here call it a S&S unit but I would take one in a minute

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline johnboy

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »
EDNJ i loved your bunks!! And i tried the newell site and couldnt find any layouts with 2 rooms but ill keep on looking!! If anyone else has any ideas at all please let me know!!

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
    • Creative Custom Cabinetry
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 06:50:36 PM »
John,
 Welcome aboard, this group is the best, I also have a early 80 MCI9 actually 81, you can check out my photo bucket at the bottom of the post, where are you located? Just ask away and you will get lots of answers and ideas. Jason

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 05:45:22 AM »
kentuckysteve   is from Lexington

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 06:12:16 AM »
another source for ideas is web site prevoststuff list coaches for sale with interior shots..out of my price range...good ideas

Offline johns4104s

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 01:30:52 PM »
John,

Welcome...

Your very next move needs to be purchasing tow insurance from Coachnet 800273-1110. About $100 per year.

Enjoy the ride,

John

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »

Welcome to the madness johnboy!!!! :)

While you are still empty,  make sure the top of the wheel wells are sealed inside below the floor and it is cleaned out below the floor in those areas.  Then go ahead and run a lots of wires from the front to the back so they will be there when you decide what you want.  :)

Also if you get creative, there is a lot of wasted space under the floor up front before you get to the bays.  you could put a water tank or a cabinet with a hinged door that opens up in the floor.  While your at this stage it is worth a look-see to pull up the wood in the front and over the wheel wells in the rear.

Keep us posted with what your doin.
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal