Author Topic: newbi here  (Read 11722 times)

Offline fe2_o3

Re: newbi here
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »
  Outlaw, You need to get someone local to go over the coach before you throw any money at it. I'm aware of a mechanic in Snohomish who has worked on GM converted coaches for years, and he is honest. If you're serious about the coach I'll get you his number.
   We are in Everett so we are fairly close also. Let us know how this shakes out...Cable
Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.

cody

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
I'm thinking 13K is a little optomistic.

Offline Outlaw

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »
gable, thanks. no money gets thrown at this. right now, i would just like to see. we need to sell our house first and buy something smaller. will see how our money works out. the bus may get sold before i really get interested in it. it does interest me but the wife may hate it. who knows, will wait an see. thanks for your help.

Outlaw  :)
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline Outlaw

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 08:18:34 PM »
cody, i think you are right. no way i would pay that. may go for $9,000 but no more. less if possible. how about $5,000?

Outlaw  ;)
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 08:19:52 PM »
Outlaw (you should tell us another name, then "Outlaw"),

How much is the most you think you will be able to spend on a bus?

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »
Outlaw,
I'm not an expert on GM's but I have to disagree with the largest luggage bays ever!
Let's see I can think of several different makes and models that have as much or more! such as;
Setra S215, S217, and S417
Neoplan Spaceliners
Prevost H models
Just to name a few I know of fer sure!

Now that said, the bus in the craigslist add is not a bad looking bus, but I'd start out offering way lower $ (like a 3rd, of the asking price!)

Of course I also happen to know where 1990 Setra S217 475 hp 8V92 DDEC II /748 or 754 (not sure which)  5 spd auto is for a reasonable price! And it has the interior out so you and the wife could start fresh instead of ripping one out to redo it! ;)
;D  BK  ;D  (the politically incorrect busnut! ;) )
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Outlaw

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 08:39:41 PM »
BK, did you really think this guy knows what he is talking about? ;), lol. i don't really think so. i have found that people who sell something like this,most of the time they have no clue. oh well. i really don't care how big the bays are anyways. we won't be full timing. just staying in AZ for 3 or 4 months during the winter so we can ride our 1996 harly road king more and the back here and do some small trips while we are here. so what kind of a bus is the one you are talking about? i really have no clue about busses, but i really like em. better then a motorhome. thanks

Outlaw  :)
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 08:42:21 PM »
Outlaw (you should tell us another name, then "Outlaw"),

How much is the most you think you will be able to spend on a bus?

God bless,

John

I'll echo it again...What is the most you want to spend on a bus (realistically).

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
Outlaw -

That 4905 has been posted on and off of CL for over a year.  Owner obviously wants to sell, as he is now offering "partial-owner financing" - something recently added to his ads.

Yep, the stick is ok, haven't double shifted for years but it's like riding a bike, ya never forget.

True, double-clutching is something you never forget, but have you ever driven a 4-spd, wet-clutch GMC coach?  I guarantee it will drive you crazy until you learn it's idiosyncrasies.  Way, way different than shifting an 18-wheeler, for example, or even the dry-clutch 4-spd bus transmissions.  (Gus will confirm!)  BTDTHTS!!

Oh, and what's the possibility that mama might want to drive it?  Would she want a stick?

During it's production run, the 4905 did, in fact, have the most downstairs "basement storage" of any coach on the market.  Even today, it's baggage bins are more spacious than some of the 45-footers you can buy brand new. However, once the major manufacturers went to the higher floor designs, that claim became a moot point.

Another interesting bit of trivia about the 4905 is that it has a longer wheelbase (318") than several of the 45-footers out there today, too!  Go to the major builder's websites and check!

And for a two-axle coach, it really does have a sweet ride - due to the long wheelbase.

But it's awfully easy to bite a curb with a rear dual - which often explains the banged up third baggage bin doors!

Before you take the bus plunge, have you & mama actually sat down and really discussed what you want to do with a bus?  Depending on your usage criteria, the shopping process could be simple or could end up being quite complex.

Lots of homework needs to be done.  Read thru the archives here as well as over on BNO (www.busnut.com), lots of info available on both boards.  In addition, there are several busnut groups on Yahoo, most associated with the primary makes (GMC, Prevost, MCI, Eagle, etc.) where you can find a lot more info.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Outlaw

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
john, i don't want to spend anymore then $10,000 to buy a bus to get one. i also don't want to do a complete conversion either. the bus i am talking about has everything in it. i would just redo the inside to our likeing. i want all the tanks in. i can do other things if needed. how that for now.  :)

Outlaw
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline Outlaw

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
rj, thanks for the info. i saw that too. he would prob take $4,000 for it, if it's been on and off for over a year. he need's the money. as far as driving a wet clutch, that should not be a real prob.lol. i am pretty adapt to most anything. as far as the wife goes, no she would not be able to drive it. she really doesn't like to drive anyways. she is only 4'8" tall. i wouldn't let her anyways. she can't even drive my dually. she just like to drive our kia. thanks for the info.

Outlaw
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 09:36:59 PM »
BK, did you really think this guy knows what he is talking about? ;), lol. i don't really think so. i have found that people who sell something like this,most of the time they have no clue. oh well. i really don't care how big the bays are anyways. we won't be full timing. just staying in AZ for 3 or 4 months during the winter so we can ride our 1996 harly road king more and the back here and do some small trips while we are here. so what kind of a bus is the one you are talking about? i really have no clue about busses, but i really like em. better then a motorhome. thanks

Outlaw  :)

Outlaw,
I agree most selling something have no clue. (even me!)
Here is a picture of what the bus I'm talking about looks like. It looks like this one, as a matter of fact IT IS THIS ONE! ;)
But...... yeah thar's always 1 a them! It's priced slightly higher than you say you wanna pay, and it's jest a shell. (hasn't been converted, BUT THE INTERIOR IS OUT OF IT! ;) )
;D  BK  ;D  (the politically incorrect busnut! ;) )
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Outlaw

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »
bryce, yep, me either. i never know what i'am talking about.lol. it's what happens when ya get old or older.lol. kool looking bus. thanks. i'll pass. i really like the older busses. will see what happens with the 74 gmc. should be interesting. thanks

Outlaw
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »
One of the best pieces of advice you have been given is to have a knowledgeable bus mechanic look at it. If the price was right that might be an inexpensive way to get started. Good luck.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

cody

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 02:19:26 AM »
BK, one summer or fall of piling sawdust in and around that bus and you guys would have a fair to middling bus to cruise in.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal