Author Topic: New to the group, and to busses....  (Read 6987 times)

Offline wayneswirld2

• If it ain't broke, break it and fix it!
New to the group, and to busses....
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:28:50 PM »
Hey y' all...yeah we say Y'ALL down here in Austin.  Just recently bought my first bus.  Recently meaning today.  Was bitten but the bus bug earlier this year, seems like it took forever to make the decision to actually buy one.  We were going to take out time, find the greatest deal on the greatest bus ever built, but it didn't work out that way.  Funny thing happened while perusing Craigslist searching for a car to buy and re-sell... we found our bus.

Not a great bus, mind you.  ANd by many standards I'm sure some wiould say not even a GOOD bus...but since I know nothing about busses it should be a good 'starter' bus.  We found a 1988 Gillig Phantom 35' transit bus with a 6V92T engine.  The seats have been, for the most part, removed.  A makeshift bed platform has been built over the rear wheel wells, and a wall erected just behind the rear doors to wall off the bedroom area.  Other than that, nothing has been done to the interior.  Looks like someone started a conversion and then either ran out of desire, money, or the cajones to tell the wifey to go away and let him finish.  And this is where I came in....

Remember, I kow NOTHING about busses.  Although I'm a full-time gas engine mechanic, I've little knowledge of the diesel engine.  In fact, I've spent the better part of today trying to prime the fuel system...seems the previous owner let her run out of gas since I heard it run last week. 

If anyone has any good ideas I'm open to listening to them.  I'll post more as this project purrs along.....

Wayne
Austin, TX

IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But then again, if it's on your bus...do some damned maintenance to it.  It'll break eventually.

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
Re: New to the group, and to busses....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
Removed
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline DaveG

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:05:18 PM »
Working on the diesel is easier because you don't have an ignition system to mess with! And parts are bigger and easier to get to...you'll like it.

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »
Dallas had a good idea.  Why not come to our rally?  If you can't come in your bus we aren't that far to drive and if you want to stay there is a hotel a mile up the road. There are no rally fees, just the cost of camping.  Come up, get a look at some buses and start learning about bus lies and bus BS.  We would love for you to come join us!!
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline wayneswirld2

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »
We're actually planning on coming to the rally.  And taking tons of pix, gathering ideas, telling a few lies, and maybe, just maybe, making some new friends too. 

Wayne
IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But then again, if it's on your bus...do some damned maintenance to it.  It'll break eventually.

Offline rdbishop

• '68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:53:41 PM »
Wayne,

I live in New Braunfels(I-35 mile marker 187)  If you need some help gettig the bus primed, I'd be glad to give you a hand. Are you planning on bringing the bus to the rally?

Richard

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:25:02 PM »
Welcome to the madness!  We are all nuts - bus nuts that is.

I am certain you will find this forum to be an amazing resource for learning and making friends who share your new found addiction.  And attending Dallas & Cat's rally will be an outstanding way to get a hands on look at a lot of buses and to meet a lot great people.

See you round the forum!
Mike

Offline MattC

• Recycled DART Bus 8284
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »
Wane,

Like Mike said, welcome to the INSANITY!   

We'll see ya up at Dallas/Cat's rally in a few days.   =) 

I'm sure there will be lots of brains to pick.  I plan on doing that myself! 
MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH

Offline wayneswirld2

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:06:42 AM »
Thank you all for that warm welcome.  Mandy, my wife, and I...and the crumb snatchers....are looking forward to making our way to Dallas and Cat's "gathering" Saturday morning and meeting some of you.  You can be sure I'll be pestering the heck out of y'all and taking pix of everything....

Wayne...and Mandy.

Offline wayneswirld2

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:10:19 AM »
By the way....where exactly is RV Relay Station?  If you can give me the exact address I can load it into my GPS.  Sheesh, I'm lost without that thing.....

Wayne & Mandy

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:38:47 AM »
Removed
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 07:17:05 AM »
Um, my name is "BK" (the real one), and um,.................. well um, I  have a problem.
(Ah, there I said it, I feel much better now!)
Yeah, that's right I have a problem, I'm addicted to buses!
I need help and the counselors told me this was a good place to start getting help! ;)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline wayneswirld2

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 07:22:27 AM »
I'm right there with ya BK....seems I've been bitten by the bus bug as well.  Now that I've bought one the guys in my band are droolin' and wondering when I'm gonna allow THEM on it to travel to shows.  I've already been told by the wife that the bus is NOT for them.....LOL.

Wayne....and what's her name (Mandy)

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 07:26:51 AM »
Band?  Did you say band?   We hope you will plan on joining in the music fun here at the rally.  Tell the whole band to come along! 
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

cody

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 07:28:34 AM »
Ummm hi BK ( the real one), so you have a problem hmmmmmm, ummmmmmm has the problem affected your ability to earn a living or provide for you famibly?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal