Author Topic: 1955 greyhound scenic crusier  (Read 17031 times)

Offline Outlaw

1955 greyhound scenic crusier
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:55:58 PM »
just went to look at this. i am lol, didn't have my camera with me. maybe will go back tommorow and take some pic's.
sign said: 1955 greyhound scenic crusier. converted, need's some work. $7500.00, fresh 8v71 w/ allison auto, 5 speed. i opened the door and walked in. oh my gosh, what a mess. overhead was comin down, mold all over, stinkin like crazy. somebody had a good idea at one time but wow. the speedo #'s were painted on.lol. said it cruised at 50 to 60 mph. ready to go, runs good.  took a look at the tires. lets see, needs 10 new tires, opps. the air bags didn't look to good either. anyways, i guess if someone had the time and money, this would make a good redo, maybe, if ya can find the parts for it.
oh here's the vin #, pd4501597. hope i can get pic's of it. you'al will have a good one on this. oh yeah, it's all painted blue an yellow, wild. later

Outlaw
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline DaveG

Re: 1955 greyhound scenic crusier
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:42:42 PM »
the 4501 police will be all over this one...thanks. Get pictures!

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »
Some history on the coach:

PD4501-597, originally fleet number G7274 with Great Lakes Greyhound, then C-7274 with Central Greyhound Lines, transferred to Eastern Greyhound Lines as E-7274, and completing it's 'Hound career as fleet number 4443 with EGL.

Needless to say, it spent most of it's career in the Rust Belt.

Outlaw -

Besides a few pics, how about posting a link to the ad where you found this "gem"?

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:03:25 PM »
there was no ad. i saw it yesterday when my wife and i were out on the harly. went back today to look at it. will try to go tommorow to get pic's. too hard to see any rust. looks like it has had a hard life and someone just let it go to pot. hmmm, could of been a hippie bus.lol

Outlaw
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 05:55:10 PM »
I wouldn't advise any one to get a PD4501 - unless they are as nuts as I am when it comes to the styling. There are many coaches that are much better for conversion purposes.

However, many a fortune has been spent chasing vanity.  ;D

What is sad is the fact that the high price will likely keep someone from saving this bus. The real value of one is saving a piece of history. I have 6 & I know they aren't necessarily worth what I have in them in their current condition, & several were given to me. . . .  :o

The main areas to look for rust is the rear airbeams & the steel cap around the upper windshields. At the rear airbeams, there is a small angle welded to the top of the airbeam for attaching the floor - on more than one of mine, there is so much rust between the angle & the air beam that the angle is being pushed away more than 1/4".
On one 4501, there is a hole in the side of the airbeam large enough to put 3 fingers in - yes it had blockoff plates installed & rides like a dream.
Look for rust at the bulkheads around the axles & on the engine cradle (Some cradles were aluminum, some steel. I have both.)

Also sight down the bus from the front - any sag past the rear axle won't be easy to fix.

Good luck!
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Outlaw

Re: 1955 greyhound scenic crusier w/ pictures
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »
ok, took some pic's of this great lady. sit back and enjoy.

well there she is. hope ya all like it.

Outlaw
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 12:23:10 PM »
I do see one thing I like on the old girl and that is the dead bolt mounted on the body and not the door that is a good idea 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 12:34:36 PM »
All I see when I look at that, and I confess I am a romantic sucker who cries at sad commercials on TV, is the love and work and effort that someone put into it, and all I think of is what happened to them, what did they do in that bus, what adventures did they have, what made them leave it behind.  I see the ghosts of people cooking, driving, playing...

Same thing when I am on a road trip, maybe Virginia in the mountains on an Interstate, and I look down in the hollow and there is an old abandoned homestead there, someone built a two story house, finished it nice, lived there, maybe raised a family, had a dog, and now it's missing part of the roof, the boards are broken and weathered gray, and what happened to the people?  One of the reasons I love to travel is to see that.  Go over to England and you can't take a step without tripping over a thousand years of history!

Nice bus, I liked it!

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Outlaw

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
i know, i am haveing dreams of this Lady. wow, where has she been after her service, what roads did she go on. now it's soooo sad to see her in this shape. if i was 20 yrs younger and had the money and time and the parts, i would take her and bring her back to her glory again. i hope someone will see what i see in her and give her a good home. anybody else got any thoughts on this?

Outlaw  :(
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline TomC

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 01:11:43 PM »
Yes it does have a 5 spd Allison transmission, but it is a HT750D (by the shifter).  So you have 4 gears usable with 1 granny gear (you're not supposed to shift from 1st to 2nd while moving).  If the bus had the close ratio, the shifter would be 1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5 instead.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 01:37:58 PM »
Been a few years since we have gone thru Clearview. ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Outlaw

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 01:41:05 PM »
so ed, ya know the place. pretty good. you must live around here?

Outlaw
John and Colleen
Bothell, WA

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »
Born and raised in Duvall, High School in Carnation, lived in Carnation after the Army for a few years, moved to Fall City for 10 years and then left and went to Maui for 11 years. Back to Duvall and Startup for another couple of years and then moved to Az. for 2 1/2 years and bought the bus and started fulltiming 7 years ago. Still working in the summers in Wa. near Fall City except this last year we were over at Vantage and hope to be there again in a few months. So yes, i know the area. ;D  sure has changed a lot though in the last 20-30 years. :( 
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline desi arnaz

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
it just needs a good douche and a little love.  i could have her pretty in 2 months time and $5000 cash.... if i didint have an old ball and chain she would be in my dooryard
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

Offline Zeroclearance

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 03:22:16 PM »
Maltby, Clearview..   Hwy 9...   

A rock throw away from my place..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal