Author Topic: Drove 120 miles with no air to the radiators in FLA?!!!  (Read 9207 times)

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline TomC

Re: Drove 120 miles with no air to the radiators in FLA?!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:52:19 PM »
I would run as far and as fast away from that fiberglass (read cracking) shell immediately.  And what's with that big side opening door at the right rear?  Is that so you can open it up in the morning so everyone can see you scratching?  I just don't understand some people's idea of what should and what should not be done.  Good Luck,TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:55:27 AM »
Maybe he was going to have one of those patio/sundeck affairs like Country Coach (briefly) had.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »
The description says the side door was for a motocross bike garage. I have no problem at all with people 'doing it their way' - seems to me that is what the hobby is about, and I have little patience for those who wish to impose rules on "what should and what should not be done" (safety-related stuff excepted naturally).

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline busshawg

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:39:52 AM »
better not say what stage mine was at when I took it to a welding shop, haha
Have Fun!!
Grant

Offline busshawg

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
mine I guess at least had air getting to it
Have Fun!!
Grant

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »
The description says the side door was for a motocross bike garage. I have no problem at all with people 'doing it their way' - seems to me that is what the hobby is about, and I have little patience for those who wish to impose rules on "what should and what should not be done" (safety-related stuff excepted naturally).

Jeremy

I totally agree. Although it looks different, I'm sure a lot of work went into it. It's not my taste, but that doesn't mean anything! ;)

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline bottomacher

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:51:21 PM »
It's clear from the fiberglass work that someone knew what he was doing with the skin. I can't see any additional framing around the big door, but the thick fiberglass skin may provide the support needed where the door was cut in. I believe that someone with a bit of talent could make this bus well worth the effort to complete.

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »
Didn't we discuss this motor coach a few months ago.  It must have popped up on e-bay again. 

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 06:08:41 AM »
Yes Bill this bus was a topic probably a yr ago!

Still scary. But who knows?
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »
So is it lagit to strip out all the overhead bracing and replace it with 1 1/4 sq tube or whatever that is?  I thought the skin was an element of the frame and needed to be metal.  Not just the GM's.  I don't see any "1 inch of foam and fiberglass sandwich" and why would you do that instead of just using 2 inches of foam?  I get the feelng that this guy "was not always right but was never ever in doubt" and had the money to meke a kistake really really fast.  Is this bus to tall for almost everywhere?

John   more amazed than anything.
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 05:26:11 AM »
Looks like the bus still has the interior aluminum skin on the lower 1/2 of the walls. The upper area of the walls would have been windows. They probably used 1 1/2" square tubing for the framing in the upper walls, that is what is usually used.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline bottomacher

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 05:56:29 AM »
There is no framing in the "window" area from the factory, so removing the windows won't have any structural effect. The foam and fiberglass sandwich is quite strong and is used in structural applications by various boatbuilders. In its application on this bus, it provides a lot of additional support at the window area that wasn't there when it left the factory. As Jack said, the lower aluminum panels are in place and provide much of the monocoque support when used in conjunction with the outer skin, so I believe that this bus if a lot stronger than a factory bus. As for fiberglass shells "cracking," there are a lot of very expensive and BIG fiberglass boats floating around the world with no apparent ill effects after being relentlessly pounded by waves and engine vibration. The ad said that a boatbuilder put this thing together, and to me it looks like he knew what he was doing.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 06:18:27 AM »
I have to admit, if I was going to do another coach (Paula says "Read my lips, it ain't gonna happen!") I would definately look at this coach. Of course, you can't tell the condition of the entire unit from a few photos, but it would definately deserve an "in person" look over.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal