Author Topic: Is a back-up camera required by law?  (Read 15030 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Is a back-up camera required by law?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 12:14:02 PM »
It is amazing to me now the price of the backup cameras when I bought Sony with 3 cameras it was over 2500 bucks now 600 bucks will buy one of the best.
But I still like my Sony with the depth gauge makes backing and hooking up a snap that is if you watch it and don't back into the overhead door with Van and John watching   lol

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline bryanhes

• Eagle Model 10 "For Now"
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
Clifford,

They were busy smiling at your back up camera  :D ;D

Bryan

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »
Bryan, I think most of these type cameras are 12V.   The cheap cameras seem have a pretty low tolerance for over voltage (when the alternator is charging the batteries).  The 110 V is the power supply that furnishes regulated 12 V to the camera.  I think there are 12V to 12V voltage regulators, but I recall that the were a bit pricey.

I don't know much about Vanner, but I would expect that it would supply 12 V with a relatively tight tolerance. 

As I say, I think the better brand cameras are designed for the normal voltage variation in a vehicle.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline bryanhes

• Eagle Model 10 "For Now"
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
I would probably be better of just finding one for an RV from the way it sounds. I kind of like to tinker with the stuff but not throw money at it, lol

Bryan

cody

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 04:55:45 PM »
Bryan, call Trina at RV Surplus in elkhart, she'll give you a good deal.

Offline Van

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
 Clifford! What over head door? ::) ::) ::) ;D ;)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 06:43:54 AM »
It is amazing to me now the price of the backup cameras when I bought Sony with 3 cameras it was over 2500 bucks now 600 bucks will buy one of the best.
But I still like my Sony with the depth gauge makes backing and hooking up a snap that is if you watch it and don't back into the overhead door with Van and John watching   lol
good luck

Clifford,
Don't feel bad I had Scotty and Matt open the door for me one day while I went and got the bus. Well all was good as I was watching the back up cam and checking the mirrors (which are worthless during the late morning with the sun blinding you while you try to back into the shop!)
Well Matt only raised the door about 10' and he and Scotty sat and watched me hit the door since the camera was below it! (and I couldn't see squat out of the mirrors!)

YUP BEEN THERE DONE THAT! ;)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

cody

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 06:49:32 AM »
I can just see scotty shuffling his feet and saying, you shudda stopped lol. those doors got a lot of clearance but with my bus, the power door hanger almost tics the a/c units.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 06:53:26 AM »
I can just see scotty shuffling his feet and saying, you shudda stopped lol. those doors got a lot of clearance but with my bus, the power door hanger almost tics the a/c units.

Ahh, yeah,  but ahh this was back when the door opener worked!  :o

As a matter of fact that was the day it broke. hmmm coincidence?  >:(
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 06:55:41 AM »
Bk, that is what happen I always open my doors to the top and this time they were not, but I cannot blame Van and John I would like too but it was all my fault.  

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 07:16:52 AM »
Bk, that is what happen I always open my doors to the top and this time they were not, but I cannot blame Van and John I would like too but it was all my fault.  

good luck

I hear ya Clifford, but the rule around our shop is either ALL THE WAY UP, or low enough you'll smack yer noggon on it!
OF course the two "clowns" response was "looked high enough to us, go get the MCI and see if it'll clear it!"  ::)
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 07:18:53 AM »
I thought he said they are a 12v DC camera. Do you think that since I have the vanner and a 12v power supply it would be ok? Or do you think while charging it would overload it then?

Bryan

the Vanner simply splits the input voltage and forces the two batteries to be the same.  It doesn't regulate the 12 volt output at all.  I believe this system has a regulated 12 volt output over a fairly wide range of nominally 24 volt input.  http://store.solar-electric.com/sa24voto12vo.html

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline mc5a Jon

• My boy and his toys.
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 07:01:58 AM »
I don't want to install a camera, but someone told me I had to have one if I wanted to tow anything. I live in Kansas, is their any truth to a backup camera being required for towing?

Jon

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 07:14:50 AM »
Nope, but it sure is nice to be able to see if whatever you are towing is still back there!  Before we got our camera, we once went over 120 miles and did not know if the jeep was still there. We were on the freeway headed west so we could not see a shadow of the jeep to either side of the bus, and we did not go around a sharp enough corner to get a glimpse of it until we got off at an exit. Now i can see it all of the time plus i can see if anybody is in the blind spot there when i am getting ready to pull around and pass somebody. No more starting to pass somebody and finding out somebody is already passing you!
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline belfert

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 07:15:13 AM »
Not aware of any law requiring a backup camera for towing.  The person who told you that was probably just recommending you have one if towing.

I had a tire issue on a trailer fall 2008.  The driver saw it in the camera and we were able to stop to take care of things.  It was an open utility trailer and something wedged between the tire and the trailer itself causing lots of smoke and tire damage.  Without the camera we probably would have pulled the trailer with a flat tire until our next stop.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal