Author Topic: inverter use with out genset  (Read 11439 times)

Offline 1960eagle

inverter use with out genset
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »
Greetings all.Wonder if anyone has any exp with what i am considering?  I am thinking about using battery bank system to power inverter and using bus alt to charge battery bank.as the alt output is rated at 250 amp max,i would only need part of that.anyone doing this on there ride?I want to be able to run all of the 120 volt items 2 roof airs/fridge/tv. from what i have figured out it would appear that i would need a total inverter rating of 8k. I dont want to have a genset and would plug into shore power when parked.      thanks.     great to see the snow here in Austin tx today.now ready for spring!                                   

Offline luvrbus

Re: inverter use with out genset
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:01:34 PM »
One problem you are going to have is with the Eagle being 12v you would need 2 sets of stacked inverters for a total of 4 and inverters you can stack are not cheap.
When you price those inverters a generator is probably going to be cheaper and without the headaches of the giant battery bank for power to run 8k worth of inverters because a 250 amp alternator is not going to keep up.  

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline 1960eagle

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:09:06 PM »
the reasons i was wanting to get away from genset was to conserve fuel and have less noise.&one less engine to worry about/lol. do  you know anyone who has used the set up i am thinking about?  thanks.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
No I do not know anyone using that type system  maybe Sean can give you some advice on the setup but me I would not even want to try it JMO 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »
I know someone who was setting up 16 golf cart batteries in the spare tire compartment of an MC9 to be able to run the AC overnight in silence.

You have to love doing battery maintenance...

You will need to burn more fuel to spin the alternator on the coach engine, there's no free lunch.

No matter where you get it from, the same amount of work has to be done to recharge your battery bank.

Get onto the internet and get a shopping list of the components and wiring, then get a list of the materials needed for a sound box for a suitable generator.

Your $$$ will show you the way.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline rdbishop

• '68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »
Hey 60Eagle,

Are you going to the New Texas Rally March5,6,7, in Franklin, Tx.? It's about 70 miles from Austin. You can get alot of info at the rally. You also have a new nut (wayneswirld2) in north Austin that just got his bus.

Richard

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »
For that much capacity while in motion, I would echo Cliffords advice about going with a genset.

Consider:  8000 Watts / 12 Volts = 667 Amps.  Add 10% for losses, that's 733 Amps.  If you run the system at half load on average, the engine alternator will not be able to keep up.

But, if you still wanted to do it anyway, I suppose you could divide up the systems, use multiple inverters,  battery banks and alternators.  Perhaps two 4000W inverters, each with its own battery bank and 250 Amp alternator.   At half load average that would be sustainable and with enough batteries it could withstand brief heavy loads when the compressors kick in or if someone wanted to make coffee while underway, etc.

It won't be cheap and as BW pointed out you will be using horsepower from the engine.  That will consume additional fuel and detract from available horsepower to the drive train.

Offline 1960eagle

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »
Hello richard.I want to go to that rally,look forward to meeting some of the folks and seeing some really cool buses.didnt know there was a busnut so close to me,look forward to talking with him.are you attending the rally in texas in march?  

Offline rdbishop

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:01:54 PM »
I'll be there. I live in New Braunfels, South I-35 mile marker 187.

Richard

Offline 1960eagle

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 08:11:16 PM »
Richard.look forward to meeting you and seeing all the buses there at the rally.i live in bastrop so not to far away.    Noel.

Offline rdbishop

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 08:20:10 PM »
Noel,

Are you bringing your bus?

Richard

Offline 1960eagle

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 08:26:57 PM »
Richard,will not be bringing the bus.i am in the process of doing the tearout of the old conversion inside and wont be done by the time of the rally.and the tires are not really road worthy.been looking for a set of 11r24.5 tires/wheels if you know of a good source would like to know.    Noel

Offline TomC

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
Personally- I think of the inverter as a standby intermittent source of electricity.  For instance, my inverter powers one of the two water heaters (to have hot water during driving time), the bathroom heater, T.V's, stereo's, microwave, toaster oven, and misc plugs.  Not powered through the inverter is the three roof top A/C's, the other water heater, refrigerator and freezer (both are 120vac/12vdc), washer/dryer. 
The amount of batteries you'll need will weigh as much as a generator.  Fuel savings will be offset by the cost of constant replacement of the batteries, the double cost of the two inverters. 
I have 2-8D Lifeline AGM's that easily get me through 24 hours of refrigerator and misc running.  I run the generator for a couple of hours in the morning and evening (just to make sure) when I'm dry camping.  I would encourage you to rethink your theory of not using a generator.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline belfert

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 06:18:06 AM »
One option would be to add a large 24 volt alternator like a 50DN just for house.  I would advocate for a generator instead of using the bus alternator, but this is an option.  This would allow for use of a larger inverter.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 06:35:16 AM »
I have been thinking of why not do a similar thing - but way smaller in scale.  Even then the costs don't add up very well.  I have a 24 volt bus system, and the 50DN, and all I want to do is run the single 15Kbtu AC while driving.  I figure 3K watt inverter would do it, and maybe 1800 watt constant load with the AC on full tilt.  That's around 70 amps,  about what the condenser motor took, and I could maybe use that relay to power the inverter.  But I don't think there is any reasonable way to get 8,000 watts out of a normal bus electrical system, and certainly not a 12 volt one.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal