Author Topic: The Big Move...  (Read 7194 times)

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
The Big Move...
« on: August 03, 2006, 05:48:21 PM »
Well, It's almost a done deal.  I looked at a few commercial  buildings but anyhing in my price range needed quite a bit of work.  I decided that a small house on some land outside city limits would be best, then I could build a shop to suit my needs.  I made an offer on one today in Springfield, TN.  It is new construction, small two bedroom with a carport.  The price was right and the taxes are nothing.  The bus barn will be coming soon.  I'm thinking 30x50.  I have 2 acres so there is plenty of room.  There is also a another two acres adjoining that I'd like to aquire.  We're trying to find out who owns it now.  That will be parking for you guys when I have the bus bash/barn raising party. :)

Wish me luck.  I'm getting too old for these major life changes. :)

Ross

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: The Big Move...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 07:05:30 PM »
Good luck Ross!

Hope to see you in Delaware next week.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

belfert

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 07:10:55 PM »
Man, I wish I had the funds and room to build a bus garage.  It would be real nice to have a covered area to work and even nicer to have it heated/cooled.

I was planning to build a small shop on my 1/3 acre here in the suburbs, but I spent all the money on my bus.  Due to my narrow deep lot, I have enough room for a bus garage without upsetting the neighbors, but city regs won't let me build that big.

Brian Elfert

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 07:47:14 PM »
Brian,

I didn't want to crowd my Sheet metal shop so I purchaced a Shelter King enclosure thats 15Hx14Wx42D. About 1500.00
But what a life saver...Pretty sturdy too. It's been up for a year and a half now, and still like new.

Nick-

Man, I wish I had the funds and room to build a bus garage. It would be real nice to have a covered area to work and even nicer to have it heated/cooled.

I was planning to build a small shop on my 1/3 acre here in the suburbs, but I spent all the money on my bus. Due to my narrow deep lot, I have enough room for a bus garage without upsetting the neighbors, but city regs won't let me build that big.

Brian Elfert
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 10:37:45 PM »

The bus barn will be coming soon.  I'm thinking 30x50.

Ross -  IMHO, add another ten - fifteen feet to the length of your barn.  At 50 ft, that only leaves five feet in front and behind a 40 foot coach - open the engine doors, and you'll be squeezing by, cursing the fact you didn't give yourself more room.

Maybe even 65 -70 ft long - give you extra should you ever move up to a 45 footer!

Oh, what the hey, make it 40 x 100 - then you can park four inside, nose to tail & still have room to work!   :D :D :D :D

Don't forget the pit, too!  :o
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 01:41:29 PM »

The bus barn will be coming soon.  I'm thinking 30x50.

Ross -  IMHO, add another ten - fifteen feet to the length of your barn.  At 50 ft, that only leaves five feet in front and behind a 40 foot coach - open the engine doors, and you'll be squeezing by, cursing the fact you didn't give yourself more room.

Maybe even 65 -70 ft long - give you extra should you ever move up to a 45 footer!

Oh, what the hey, make it 40 x 100 - then you can park four inside, nose to tail & still have room to work!   :D :D :D :D

Don't forget the pit, too!  :o

I was thinking the same thing.  This is the building I'm considering...

http://www.americansteelspan.com/

It's the width that costs.  Going a little longer isn't really that much more expensive.  Waiting on some price quotes now.  I can have a 30x50 pole barn put up for $7500 less concrete.  Add another $2700 for 4000lb fiber reinforced crete 6" thick.

Ncbob

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 02:03:02 PM »
Just a thought, Ross.  I have my bus in a 'Quonset' type building and there ain't no wall space and no possibility of building side lofts because of the construction of the building.  If and when you think in terms of the blanket insulation....use chicken wire to hold it against the ceiling of the building....it'll pay off in the long run.  Think about it. It needs to be in contact with the roof....an air space will defeat much of the r factor.

Best of luck with your venture....

Bob

belfert

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 03:19:47 PM »
I only wish I could build a shop even 24x30 for $7500 plus $2700 for concrete.

I have the blueprints all done for my shop and I estimated $30k for mine.  Now, this does include 6" stick built walls with a storage area in attic.  The whole thing will be fully wired, insulated, interior finished, and heated/cooled.  The only things I wouldn't do myself are the concrete and the heating/cooling.

Brian Elfert

Offline edvanland

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 03:28:14 PM »
I put up a 68 foot by 45 foot quanset hut on my property in Colorado.  For insulation I bit the bullett and had two inches of spray foam insulation put in, man what a difference.  The spray foam totally sealed it.  Can not see any light coming through any where except some around the 14 x 14 foot door.  It also made the walls a lot stronger.
Ed
MCI 7
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 04:30:52 PM »
Nick,
Man, that is one cool picture of your bus!  Just had to tell you.
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 04:44:56 PM »
Thanks Dennis,

That was the long stretch of black primer....Before the paint Job.

Nick-

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 06:02:42 PM »
Just a thought, Ross.  I have my bus in a 'Quonset' type building and there ain't no wall space and no possibility of building side lofts because of the construction of the building.  If and when you think in terms of the blanket insulation....use chicken wire to hold it against the ceiling of the building....it'll pay off in the long run.  Think about it. It needs to be in contact with the roof....an air space will defeat much of the r factor.

Best of luck with your venture....

Bob

Bob...If you go to thier website, I'm looking at the A model.  It had vertical walls.  It would drive me nuts not being able to put anything on the walls....other the end walls.  My plan was to buy it less the end walls then frame and insulate the end walls and locate the doors locally.  I want overhead, but a 14 footer is $750.  Haven't decided on that yet.  I figure if I can get the trusses up and one end wall done, I'll be able to keep things dry.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal