Author Topic: Central vac. system  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Ericbsc

• 73 05
Central vac. system
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:13:33 AM »
I would like to install a cantral unit with an outlet at front and mid. 39" in bay so height should not be a problem. Would like something that will suck up a good size CAT/DOG LOL! Any suggestions?

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
Re: Central vac. system
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:24:43 AM »
I think the Newtone is probably the best or at least the most common.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=central+vacuum+systems&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_enUS368US368&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4799253205171854938&ei=gCGRS7WuA4O0tgegooGcCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCgQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

However, I had a central system in the bus and found that storing the hose and accessories took more space and was more trouble than a small upright.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:34:36 AM »
Eric, we have a central unit in our Eagle in the middle bay with a plug in the bay and one about in the middle on the inside.
Two thing I would keep in mind is never buy one that use bags it cannot be used as wet vac without a special tank between the hose and unit and make sure to use the pipe and fitting for vacuum .
I built  a small closet where the vents go from the tanks to the roof makes a nice place to store the hose and attachments and hides the vent pipe.  

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
I have thought about a central vac system for the truck, and I think I'll just use a shop vac that is plumbed into the living area.  Then if I actually need a shop vac for vacuuming up liquid or need to use it outside the reach of the interior built in inlets, I can just simply disconnect the in and out hoses and remove it.  My only restriction is finding a shop vac that is less than 24" tall. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline beatsworkin

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:10:59 AM »
What I did because  I'am a cheap skate

I installed a "shop-vac hang up" in the bay below the dinnett.  I drilled a hole in the floor under the dinnett seat, pushed the hose up thru the floor and filled the gap. 20 ft of hose comes with vac so I got 10 ft from Lowes.  All this hose stores under the dinnett seat.  I already had a receptical in the bay so I purchased from Lowes a wireless plug in receiver. I plugged the wireless receiver into the receptical and then the vac into the wireless. The remote switch that comes with the kit I installed on the wall in the kitchen. Wow this works great.  The first time I used it I sucked up small kitty. 

Total cost of this project was less than $ 75.00  see link

Red

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=shop+vac+hang+up&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4211214315956009381&ei=NzqRS7-VK5OXtge_yYyHCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB8Q8wIwAA#ps-sellers

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:26:35 AM »
We purchased a wall-hang shop vac at Lowes. It came with a 20' hose and several attachments. We installed it in the closet (about 1/2 way bewteen fron and rear of our coach).  We can vacum everything in the coach except the step well. If we want to vacum the car, it snaps out of the wall mounted bracket.  I don't remember the price, an it was on sale, but somewhere around $60 comes to mind.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline PCC

• Serving Those Who Have Served
    • Serving Project, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
I would like to install a cantral unit with an outlet at front and mid. 39" in bay so height should not be a problem. Would like something that will suck up a good size CAT/DOG LOL! Any suggestions?

Are you asking for suggestions as to what to suck up??

Central vac is great for keping things tidy. I usually place one inlet behind the driver (near his butt for obvious reasons), and the other in the washroom wall to hide it. Make sure the inlets are placed to allow freedom for the hose.

Also try to arrange for the connection to the main unit to be removable, so you can go into a place with vacuums, and connect to their system and let it collect the sucked up stuff.
For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:29:40 AM »
I have never found suction-only vacs to work as well as suction/beater vacs on carpet.  Central vacs are only suction.  If you have hard floors, they're fine, but they are second rate for carpets.  
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline PCC

• Serving Those Who Have Served
    • Serving Project, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:32:45 AM »
And yes, Lin, make sure you get the carpet head for carpet cleaning, with the connection to drive the beater.
For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »
Lin, our central vac has a beater and the cord for it is in the hose, plug it into the wall and power is available for the power head  

good luck

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 11:10:28 AM »
This is what we have. A Bissell wet/dry garage vac. It's works great and will suck the hair off a dog.  ;D It's pretty quiet and we can vac from one end of the bus to the other. The hose is stored under our fridge. No bag, it will let you know when the tank is full of either wet or dry stuff. I like it!

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:16 AM »
Clifford,

That would seem to neutralize the issue.  However, it also would seem that the set up makes it no more convenient than having a small upright.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »
Makes no difference to me Lin upright or central I don't use either LOL  central is what she wanted and central is what she got with the under cabinet intake in the kitchen where she doesn't have to use the hose

good luck

Offline Ericbsc

• 73 05
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 01:26:04 PM »
I sorta planned for an under floor system, therefore didn't make space except for cords. Boss says she dosen't care cause she has a vacum in the house and dosen't plan on using thie one!!!!

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »
Removed
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal