Author Topic: what size pipe for propane?  (Read 7087 times)

Offline Devin & Amy

• FMCA#377731
  • 1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6
what size pipe for propane?
« on: August 03, 2006, 07:15:29 PM »
Hi all,

I had 1/2" black pipe from the regulator to the appliances (stove, furnace, water heater). I then had a shutoff, then 3/8 flexpipe to the hookup.
I'm redoing the whole bus and this is something I want to do right.

Question is do you think this is too large a pipe for the feed line? Should I use 3/8" pipe, or will it be fine as is?

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: what size pipe for propane?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 08:53:50 PM »
1/2" will be fine.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 10:09:49 PM »
I couldn't quite follow the tracing of your path.  But it is suggested that you have an electric solenoid shutoff near the tank.  So you'd have the tank, the tank valve, then the solenoid valve, the regulator, then the line into the coach.  I only have two appliances that are propane-the stove and furnace that are right next to each other with the propane tank directly below for the shortest pipe run with a switch from inside to control the flow of propane into the bus.  Personally don't like propane-have seen too many times what a tank of propane can do to a motorhome.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 05:08:34 AM »
That is the size & way I plan on running mine. There isn't much gas in 30 ft of 1/2 pipe (~.06 cubic feet or less than 200 BTUs).

If the pipe were smaller, you might starve the appliance for gas.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Devin & Amy

• FMCA#377731
  • 1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 05:28:56 AM »
Tom,
I've not heard of the electric shutoff. Is there a switch inside the coach, so you can turn it off when you want to? Or is there a safety switch combined with a sniffer?

Thanks
Devin
Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 05:44:42 AM »
Here's the electric propane detector and electric shut off valve.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/cci-control-pre-tell.htm

I would prefer to make a manifold out of 1/2" black iron pipe with individual shut off valves and a home run out of 3/8' copper tubing to each individual appliance.

That would allow you to shut off any one appliance for maintenance.  It would also eliminate any hidden joints, the major source of leaks.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 06:27:04 AM »
Len,
Just a safty issue.
The state code here in NJ,now States that Black Iron Pipe can omly be used for warm water applications, such as low preassure/high preassure boilers.
It's not allowed here for gas pipe anymore. Only galvinized pipe is allowed. There is too much moisture in propane and Nat Gas and the enviroment that
the black pipe will be in stalled [in the bays] may be subjected to moisture and corrode the black iron.
Nick-

Len, I mistakeingly posted in your post and erased it.
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 07:27:32 AM »
I need to check my local codes again. ~10 years ago, the code inspestor was very vocal about something in the gas reacting with the galvanizing to create a poisonus gas.

When I put drip legs on my gas piping runs, I added a gas cock (capped unless I'm draining water) to the bottom. I never got any water out of mine, must be lucky or just have a dry gas supply???.

Darn, there is so much to keep up with.

Thanks Nick!
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline pete81eaglefanasty

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 08:36:06 AM »
 Nick, I thought that propane or nat gas would cause the galvinized to flake off
 Here in Illinois i believe the rule is black pipe only. All of the homes i have seen have been black iron pipe, and so were my motorhomes. So what is true? Just wondering. Black iron gets rusty inside so it's a no no for any water, people have been changing to pvc or copper for water. No disrespect for New Jersey laws or you intended.

Pete
WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 09:40:48 AM »
As I recall, California insisted on black pipe for natural gas. I had to remove the copper line I used to install a bathroom heater and replace it with black pipe. Galvanized was absolutely a no-no also.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 09:45:47 AM »
Pete,

I would have to say Check your local Laws. And that's what you should Maybe follow..??..??..??

It's so funny how rules from state to state vary. I hold a black seal for high preasure boilers and I'm always getting

change notices in the state codes. Sometimes I think Theese officials don't even know themselves whats right and whats wrong????

more so, what works for them [maybe Huh!]

Good Luck
Nick-
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 09:52:01 AM »
Richard,

Every Job I've been involved in since 1986 has been Galvinized pipe foe nat. gas

Now, we use nothing but Gas Tight. Flexable stainless wraped in yellow pvc.

We still have to hard pipe Galvinized to the outside of a heater, then flex to a manifold. Than from a meter to the manifold it's gavinized...

Nick-

belfert

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 09:53:37 AM »
Here's the electric propane detector and electric shut off valve.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/cci-control-pre-tell.htm

I would prefer to make a manifold out of 1/2" black iron pipe with individual shut off valves and a home run out of 3/8' copper tubing to each individual appliance.

What about using corrugated stainless steel tubing instead of copper tubing?

In my mind, copper doesn't seem like the best idea for propane in a RV since the vibrations can crack it.  Many RVs do use soft copper, but the RVIA standards are very lax and RV makers usually cheap out and do the bare minimum.

Brian Elfert

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 07:57:28 AM »
Black pipe is the code in Maryland outside. We can use copper or Gastite inside. We used to use copper outside but the dope addicts would steal it to sell. My personal advice was to shoot the dopers instead of changing the piping but it was against regulations. LOL
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal