Author Topic: Hot In Missouri: Generator Burned Up!  (Read 3170 times)

Offline busboy

Hot In Missouri: Generator Burned Up!
« on: August 04, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »
Two days after we left Denver with a new Radiator, our Generator decided to quit.  I worked with Dick Wright at Wrico and we concluded that the windings burned up...a part fell off the logic board when I opened it up.  The generator has over 11,000 hours so I guess it's time.  What I need is suggestions of a shop that will R&R the generator, it's in an Eagle 10 where the old bus AC was in the back.  We our near Kansas City but are headed to Texas and could take it to OKC or Dennison/Sherman Texas.  If y'all know a bus shop let me know.
To the person who asked how much it costs to full-time...figure more than you expect...this is getting expensive!
Happy Trails,
Brent

Offline DrivingMissLazy

Re: Hot In Missouri: Generator Burned Up!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 04:23:54 PM »
Are you planning on replacing the complete genset or just the alternator portion and retaining the existing engine?
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Ncbob

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 05:29:36 PM »
I would think that after 11,000 hours....that unit doesn't owe you anything.  Donate it to the Re-election Commitee for Hillary Clinton
and do the world a favor!  (tongue-in-cheek humor) by

Bob

Offline Catskinner!

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 11:26:42 PM »
Brent

We are working on our Eagles in my shop now.  Come on down and Mike Crouch

or I should be able to help you out.  Call me if you would like and we can talk.

Catskinner!
Sonnie Gray
Pottsboro, Texas
903-815-2141

Offline busboy

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 04:35:27 PM »
Sonnie,
I'll call you and let you know what's going on.  We are near Kansas City right now.
Happy Trails,
Brent

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 09:42:56 AM »
While 11,000hrs may sound like alot, I have a truck driver friend that just traded in his big sleeper truck that has a PowerTech 7.5kw compact (the type that is layed over about 45 degrees) with the Kubota 3 cylinder.  It had 23,000hrs on it and still was running well.  If the engine is fine, just have the gen side either rewound or replaced.  Course the nicest would be just to replace the whole unit with a new one since the new gens do have some nice features compared to the old ones.  The down side to this is that those nice features are usually electronically powered compared to the older units that just have mechanical relays.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline busboy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 01:47:49 PM »
We are back up and running...
Dick & company at Wrice sent me a new 15KW generator and Maurey Services in Concordia, Missouri did the R&R.
The Maurey mechanic did an excellent job and was within 1 hour of what Dick said it would take to R&R the generator.   
Happy Trails,
Brent

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal